Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Colorado and my cruze runs like sh!t . Understand the altitude, certainly not happy! Details of the car are in my signature.

Tre'

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
I'm in Colorado and my cruze runs like sh!t . Understand the altitude, certainly not happy! Details of the car are in my signature.

Tre'
Details of the "car runs like sh!t" part would be helpful.

BTW, the correct word is "terribly." :p

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Maybe the ECM (or is it a true PCM on the automatic cars?) hasn't adjusted to the altitude yet. Mine did just fine going from 1000' elevation to 3500' elevation crossing a pass in Vermont.

Since you're tuned, I'm ASSuME(ing) you're running the highest octane available. Maybe a tank of bad gas?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Your Trifecta tune may have messed with the baro maps and now it can't compensate. Does it idle like **** or have no power at WOT or does it buck at part throttle or??????

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Details;takes forever to spool up, running 91 octane. Altitude in oklahoma is 700', honestly it runs like sh!t, terrible is better than I'm sh!t:tongue4:

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Any codes? There might be pending codes that won't illuminate the CEL. Anything out of whack?

Also, did you fuel up at a "discount" gas station? It could be a tank of stale premium from a station that does not sell a lot of it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if me saying it takes forever to spool up the turbo is limited information and u think I'm wasting everyone's time, please stop reading my post.

The intent for this post was not to ask for solutions, just an observation. I've been in Colorado for three days and this morning the car drove excellent, same tank of fuel. Drove 300 miles in the state and last night when I shut her down, it was still running like a dog, this morning fired her up and she ran amazing.

I'll guess with you!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
This sounds like your car had altitude sickness. Going from sea level, yes 700 ft is sea level when compared to 6,000 ft, to altitude definitely requires a difference in the fuel you run. Have you filled your tank here yet? If not, I would fill immediately to start mixing in altitude blended gasoline. The highest octane you will easily find in Colorado is 89, which shouldn't be a problem since there isn't as much oxygen to burn either. 6,000 ft sounds like Colorado Springs and my stock-tuned ECO MT has absolutely no problems there. In general, I have had better mpg and performance from all my cars while at altitude. If you're here for a visit only, refuel with 91 as soon as you see it on the pumps. Don't wait for your tank to run low.

I have occassionally heard of other people having problems with their cars when moving from low elevations (once again, below 3,500 ft) to high elevations, especially if they purchased their car at low elevation, so it doesn't surprise me that the Cruze isn't immune either.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Sounds like the PCM finally compensated for the altitude.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This sounds like your car had altitude sickness. Going from sea level, yes 700 ft is sea level when compared to 6,000 ft, to altitude definitely requires a difference in the fuel you run. Have you filled your tank here yet? If not, I would fill immediately to start mixing in altitude blended gasoline. The highest octane you will easily find in Colorado is 89, which shouldn't be a problem since there isn't as much oxygen to burn either. 6,000 ft sounds like Colorado Springs and my stock-tuned ECO MT has absolutely no problems there. In general, I have had better mpg and performance from all my cars while at altitude. If you're here for a visit only, refuel with 91 as soon as you see it on the pumps. Don't wait for your tank to run low.

I have occassionally heard of other people having problems with their cars when moving from low elevations (once again, below 3,500 ft) to high elevations, especially if they purchased their car at low elevation, so it doesn't surprise me that the Cruze isn't immune either.

There is 91 at every gas station i go to in colorado, seems pretty easy to me

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
There is 91 at every gas station i go to in colorado, seems pretty easy to me
Not in the southern part of the Denver metro area. The vast majority of stations I see are 85, 87, and 89 octane.

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
Well if me saying it takes forever to spool up the turbo is limited information and u think I'm wasting everyone's time, please stop reading my post.

The intent for this post was not to ask for solutions, just an observation. I've been in Colorado for three days and this morning the car drove excellent, same tank of fuel. Drove 300 miles in the state and last night when I shut her down, it was still running like a dog, this morning fired her up and she ran amazing.

I'll guess with you!
I thought that by posting a problem, you were expecting some help or recommendations on how to solve them like every other thread on this forum.

"Takes forever to spool up the turbo" is indeed limited information. You could have provided the following information:

- type of gas used (brand, not just octane level)
- at what RPM the turbo actually spools
- how you know when the turbo spools or doesn't
- at what altitude does it run like ****. In your first post, you said you're in Colorado. In the next post, you said elevation in Oklahoma is 700. Make up your mind; where are you having the issues?

You should have made it a bit more clear to people that you didn't want help, just that you were complaining about an issue you were having because the information would benefit us in some way or you felt the need to share for some reason.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought that by posting a problem
It was an observation. Actually I expected it, to a certain extent.

Thanks to everyone else besides Xtreme, for your insights. The post was intended for my personal observation and to create dialog. I was on my my Iphone, I guess I could have provided more details.

Anyway, I'm back in OK and all is good. Averaged 38.7 MPG with an average speed of 73. car has over 12,000 miles on it and I've had it 7 months.

Tre'

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
It was an observation. Actually I expected it, to a certain extent.

Thanks to everyone else besides Xtreme, for your insights. The post was intended for my personal observation and to create dialog. I was on my my Iphone, I guess I could have provided more details.

Anyway, I'm back in OK and all is good. Averaged 38.7 MPG with an average speed of 73. car has over 12,000 miles on it and I've had it 7 months.

Tre'
So basically, you're wondering why your performance sucks at higher altitudes? The simple answer is the air is thinner and atmospheric pressure is lower, which means your car gets significantly less air and it's significantly more difficult to create boost.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts