Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I wanted to say GREAT forum. I've been reading as much as I can before I posted.

I'm in the market for a new car. My current ride is a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix with 185K miles. I'm the original owner and it's been an absolute great car. Very reliable and along with low cost of ownership. However, I have a daily 80 mile commute (95% Highway) and I can see the writing on the wall and I know gas prices will be trending up versus down and I need to get into something more fuel efficient.

I've already test drove the Elantra. Honestly, I don't care if it does get close to 40 MPG. The car felt cheap and the driving dynamic was pretty bad. I also drove a 2011 Mazda3 Hatch. I liked that car as well just not convinced in going Japanese just yet. So I decided to test drive a 2012 LT1 the other day. I was very impressed, especially it being a compact car. The drive was tight and responsive. Overall build quality seemed pretty good as well.

One thing I did notice immediately when I sat in the car was the seats. I wouldn't say the seats were uncomfortable, but they did seem overly firm. The tester had the cloth seats. Are the leather seats any softer? Are there any comfort issues for long commutes? My commute is typically one hour each way.

I've read the threads regarding the shifting patterns for the 6 speed automatic. I've also seen mentions of the Trifecta Tune being applied. Is this a true fix and if so how adversely does it affect the MPG?

I'm looking to make a purchase in about 2-3 weeks. More than likely it will be a used 2012 since I've seen posts on how the early 2011 suffered from early build quality issues.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I can say I have no issues with the seats after long periods. I have 14 Lowes stores to travel to during the week and some are 1.5 hours away. 3 hours a day in the seat and I still feel comfortable. Once i adjusted the power seat to my liking I sometimes dont want to get out! As far as the shifting patterns are concerned, my auto 2012 shifts great, never had any issues, and being a commuter car for me I see no reason for Trifecta as it would only be a performance addition. The erratic shifting you may have read is mainly the 2011s if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a two hour (one way) drive to Chicago, 2-3 times per week. The seats in my 2012 Eco are very comfortable. They seem firm at first but it is high-quality foam with a little bit of give to it. No problems with the seats.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I used to make multiple trips weekly to Cleveland to Columbus in my Cruze (about 2.5-3 hours depending on what part) and while I wont claim they are the most comfortable seats ever (so far that's going to my 96 Ford Explorer with leather) but never felt sore and never had my butt fall asleep.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Another eco owner here, I'm bout 6' & 180#, the seats are fine.
I drive a Lot and at 60 I would whine if neeeded :)

I suggest considering a mt car for much higher mpg.
The engine pulls so well at low rpm you do not have to shift constantly. My original fear.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I spend 2-3 hours a day in the Cruze. The seats are a little firm. They are comfortable, though, at least to me.

I'll 3rd the recommendation for a manual transmission car, as they do get better fuel economy than the automatic cars.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I love the seats in my ECO MT. With your daily drive, the ECO MT is the obvious choice if you can or are willing to learn to drive a stick. The 42 MPG highway rating for the ECO MT is low. As for the shifting in the automatics, my understanding is that Chevy has vastly improved the shifting.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

It's surprising how many of you recommend the stick. The manual isn't an issue, I learned how to drive a stick on my first car (1975 VW Beetle Fuelie). The only thing that would hesitate would be the fact that some of the commute in the morning is typically bumper to bumper for the last few miles. How is the clutch feel? Is it super light or does it have some resistance to it?

Also it's good to here that the seats are not that big of an issue. My concern was they would feel like a brick after a while.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I deal with bumper to bumper three or four times a week. The speed range for each gear, including 1st is really amazing.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Also it's good to here that the seats are not that big of an issue. My concern was they would feel like a brick after a while.
Drove straight though 22hrs from Wisconsin to Texas & Texas back to Wisconsin, the seats are great! I have read people complaining that they are not comfortable but I have never had any car(including my Buick cars) that even after a 4hr drive I did not get out a bit stiff.

As good as I felt after 20+ hours driving I could have drove longer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I spend 4-5 hrs a day in my ECO MT for work. Seats are firm and comfortable to me- I"m 6' and 175lbs. They are a bit narrow and I like that- good for cornering!

I vote that you test drive an ECO MT and see how you like it; I drive mine in all traffic scenarios and weather and find it to be a joy to drive.

FWIW- I have previously owned a Mazda3 (first generation) and a 2009 Elantra. This car is much more fun to drive and better built than both of those cars. The Mazda was a bit better in handling, and for the many years I owned it was super reliable.

Good luck on your shopping!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Re comfort: I've done 12+ hour road trips with nothing more than a single pit stop halfway through. The Cruze is a GREAT long-distance car. The seats being firmer than usual is actually a good thing as they provide support without breaking down.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
1st gear in the eco is like a granny gear, almost.
This gets ya going pretty quickly.

A concern for Me is the auto, I keep a car for 300k or when it gets wrecked.
A backyard wrench can swap a clutch in a day.
He cannot rebuild the at.

I was fearful of having to "row" the gears constantly, until I had it a month or so, that fear dissolved.

I will not say the Cruze is perfect,
the visors are too small & don't pull out.
There is no boost/vac gauge,
reverse is geared too high IMHO.
It weighs too much & is overpowered,
nuther IMO.

But the eco mt is the highest mpg non-hybrd car in the US.
Hmm, just how much are those LiOn battery packs?
How long do they last?

Did I mention I've had 4 tanks over 50 actual mpg.
I think so.

Display device Electronics Text Technology Electronic device

This is not my average tank.

But it does show what can be done if driven carefully.
651mi on 12.2 gl for $45.00 is super cheap.

My avg mpg is bout 46- 48~.
The 1st 10k mi, the DIC showed 50.2mpg, about 46/47 actual.
Avg range is hi 400's, breaking 500 pretty often.

WHERE you have to drive will dictate you final figure nearly as much as How you drive.

In the end make sure you are informed and buy what You want.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,608 Posts
I love the seats in my LT. They are a bit firm, but even after very long road trips (recently did one where we spent all day in the car), neither my or my girlfriends butts were asleep.

Not as comfy as the leather couch in my Volvo, but they are by far the most comfortable cloth seats I've ever had.

I live in DC, constantly dealing with stop-and-go traffic, and I wouldn't have anything but the MT. It's just so much fun to drive, and autos...well...aren't unless you have a bigger engine under the hood.

I didn't like the gear ratios on the Eco one bit. They annoyed heck out of me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We just purchased a 2013 automatic,I agree the seats are firm but even after a long ride they are not uncomfortable at all.The 6 speed shifts good so I'm assuming some changes were made.The car feels solid and not cheap,love the safety of all the air bags,good trunk space,handles well.I was looking at used but interest rates were lower on new.Our previous car a Park Avenue managed to get 280,000 trouble free miles before the tranny quit besides the usual,water pump,belt ect. but it was well serviced the entire 11 years we owned it.I hope the Cruze will be just as worthy.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Your Q. about traffic & the m/t.
For me with my limited city driving I found it ok.

I had family sick this last summer.
We drove bumper cars, got about 32mpg w/ 3 passengers.
Lights every 1/4 mile, the ac on full time.
Idle time at lights was horrid.
Outside temp 105f. No issue w/cooling.

All in a the car did fine.

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone.

It's surprising how many of you recommend the stick. The manual isn't an issue, I learned how to drive a stick on my first car (1975 VW Beetle Fuelie). The only thing that would hesitate would be the fact that some of the commute in the morning is typically bumper to bumper for the last few miles. How is the clutch feel? Is it super light or does it have some resistance to it?

Sounds like you got some great replies here.

The Eco MT gets vastly better fuel economy than what the EPA ratings are for, and is also vastly better than the auto. I have a 2012 Eco MT and I absolutely love it.

Some of my commute in the evenings will hit up to 15 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic, but it doesn't bother me at all. The clutch is fairly light, so it's not at all fatiguing. It is consistent.

The seats break in a bit over time. Not to the point where they'll develop dents, but to the point where they'll soften a bit. It's definitely an excellent long distance car. I've driven it 400 miles without stopping before and didn't at all feel uncomfortable.

Check out the review I wrote of the Cruze if you want to get some more information:

Behind the Wheel of the Chevy Cruze - The Xtreme Revolution

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else about the seats. They do feel firm when you first sit in them...but they never tire you out. When we first got our LT,that was the first thing I noticed. I worried last summer when we started out on our almost 7 hour drive to the ocean, that our two pre teen kids in the back would need to get out quite often to stretch...didn't happen. They never complained and I have to say, neither did I. I was really surprised that they didn't start feeling harder as the trip wore on. Now that we have had it a year, the seats have been broken in a bit better, but still have the same shape as they did when we bought it.

BTW, We have the Cloth seats.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another question regarding the warranty. Does the warranty follow the car or does it not transfer from the original owner?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts