Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening Everyone! Well at least it is evening here anyway.

So over the last couple of days, our 2012 Cruze has been experiencing the what seems to be common lunge and shudder at very low speeds or when the engine is at idle. At first I thought maybe the better half had gotten bad gas, or it possibly was an issue with the timing. However, we had a check engine light come on. The code we got was a P1011 which is for incorrect air flow through the Intake Manifold, or Throttle Body.

With this, and the recent recall on that plate we brought it to the dealer and found a leaking PCV Valve Hose to be the issue. (This is actually quite common on Ford Taurus engines in the late 90's to early 00)

Anyway, we get her back from the dealer tomorrow. We are hoping that it is the issue and it doesn't come back, but if you happen to be experiencing the same thing you may want to have them check that out. Apparently ours has been one of the first to actually through an engine code.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Glad to hear it failed enough to get it diagnosed! I'm hoping that was it for you. Unaccounted-for air in the engine can do some funny things to them.

The worst part about diagnosing something like your lunge and shudder is that without a red flag like a check engine light or obvious hissing air leak, it's tedious and time-consuming to diagnose correctly.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Good Evening Everyone! Well at least it is evening here anyway.

So over the last couple of days, our 2012 Cruze has been experiencing the what seems to be common lunge and shudder at very low speeds or when the engine is at idle. At first I thought maybe the better half had gotten bad gas, or it possibly was an issue with the timing. However, we had a check engine light come on. The code we got was a P1011 which is for incorrect air flow through the Intake Manifold, or Throttle Body.

With this, and the recent recall on that plate we brought it to the dealer and found a leaking PCV Valve Hose to be the issue. (This is actually quite common on Ford Taurus engines in the late 90's to early 00)

Anyway, we get her back from the dealer tomorrow. We are hoping that it is the issue and it doesn't come back, but if you happen to be experiencing the same thing you may want to have them check that out. Apparently ours has been one of the first to actually through an engine code.

Lynne70,
I am happy to hear that your dealer has been able to diagnose this issue for you. I would like you to keep me posted on the outcome of your service appointment. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't get a chance to get pictures, but I know they replaced something with the Camshaft cover. The other half told me shortly after we got it back that the car seems to "have it's peppiness back" There is a slight pop in the accelerator now that has me concerned but I'm going to watch it for a couple weeks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm wonderin if I have the same problem. My 2012 cruze LS has 64k miles and the engine light is NOT on. It shakes/shudders when idle or in park, and has TURNED OFF on me at least 5 times. This always happens at a stop light or stop sign. Pretty scary right? I've propped my hood up to get a visual of the engine and where the "wheezing" that it does could be coming from. The wheezing is only for a second or two at a time. Seems to be coming from the valve cover but I can't be certain. I've also noticed, a second after the car does its "shake", my headlights dim for a second or two. All of this happens simultaneously either a couple times a minute or once a minute. It varies and is worse sometimes than others.

So you're probably wondering, "well, what's the dealer say?" They have no idea! When I took it in for the diagnostic, they said "the only thing we can recommend is a fuel maintenance procedure". They wanted to charge me $300 to do this. I had a licensed mechanic at a shop do it for $200. The problem continues, and has gotten progressively worse. Not only am I out $200 dollars and what was a week of my time, but the dealer will continue to charge me more money until they figure out what the issue is (assuming they can). I've heard many experiences with the SAME model and SAME symptoms, resulting in the same or worse circumstances. Nobody seems to know or seems to care. Has anybody had these issues? This is so frustrating and chevy could care less. I've seriously thought about trading it in and washing my hands free of Chevy.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I've also noticed, a second after the car does its "shake", my headlights dim for a second or two.
I think that's the car shutting off the charging system while it tries to bring the engine back up to normal idle. I wouldn't worry about that symptom.

The PCV valve is a known problem with this car. If you're hearing "wheezing" that would be my thought. It just may be broken in a different way such that it keeps surprising the engine with a change in air flow forcing it to adjust.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I'm wonderin if I have the same problem. My 2012 cruze LS has 64k miles and the engine light is NOT on. It shakes/shudders when idle or in park, and has TURNED OFF on me at least 5 times. This always happens at a stop light or stop sign. Pretty scary right? I've propped my hood up to get a visual of the engine and where the "wheezing" that it does could be coming from. The wheezing is only for a second or two at a time. Seems to be coming from the valve cover but I can't be certain. I've also noticed, a second after the car does its "shake", my headlights dim for a second or two. All of this happens simultaneously either a couple times a minute or once a minute. It varies and is worse sometimes than others.

So you're probably wondering, "well, what's the dealer say?" They have no idea! When I took it in for the diagnostic, they said "the only thing we can recommend is a fuel maintenance procedure". They wanted to charge me $300 to do this. I had a licensed mechanic at a shop do it for $200. The problem continues, and has gotten progressively worse. Not only am I out $200 dollars and what was a week of my time, but the dealer will continue to charge me more money until they figure out what the issue is (assuming they can). I've heard many experiences with the SAME model and SAME symptoms, resulting in the same or worse circumstances. Nobody seems to know or seems to care. Has anybody had these issues? This is so frustrating and chevy could care less. I've seriously thought about trading it in and washing my hands free of Chevy.

Hey CottonCruze,

I regret to hear that you are experiencing concerns with your Cruze and understand how frustrating this may be. I would be more than happy to reach out to the dealer on your behalf to look into this further. Please send a private message with your VIN, current mileage, full contact information and the name of your dealership.
Looking forward to your message.

Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 10 of 10 Posts