Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

So this is my girlfriends car and she has told me about it trying to start randomly by itself which i didn't believe her until this morning when I was told it was trying to start in the yard. Shot a video for proof. key is not in run position but it is in ignition fully. (Door dings when opened)

I walked out while it was doing it cycle. I shot the video for a minute just to show proof. Not sure how many times it would have continued, so i opened the door, cranked the car then cut it off. I pulled the key out the ignition and haven't tried to start since.

video:

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
That's Nice ! But then again if ya really trully do not wish for your IT to self start then I guess you will have to see your dealer with that video for assistance with that issue .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it will be going to the dealer ship tomorrow. Just figure you all would get a kick out of it....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No autostart. If it was a manual, that would be hard to explain how it ended up hitting the tree by itself.....

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
This is one of the main reasons I don't buy a used car from anywhere except a certified used car lot. Preferably certified used Chevy dealer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Back in the late '70's, VW had an issue with the Rabbit Diesel doing that. The problem was that water leakage from the left side of the windshield, due to corrosion, allowed it to drip down onto the fuse box right below it. The water would then short out a relay and that would allow the engine to randomly start up on its own. Since all of these cars were stick transmission and many owners left them parked "in gear", and the car would drive itself into whatever was in front of it after it started up. I had an experience one time when I was at work. A guy came in and said, "who owns that VW Rabbit out front, it's sitting in the middle of the road!" I hope its not "deja vue all over again" with the Cruze Diesel that I own now.:grin:

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I saw a Twilight Zone recently and a car did the same thing, followed the guy around!

More at IMDbPro »
[h=2]Twilight Zone: Season 5, Episode 14[/h][h=1]You Drive (3 Jan. 1964)
"The Twilight Zone" You Drive (original title)[/h]TV Episode | TV-PG | 25 min | Fantasy, Horror, Mystery
Your rating: 12345678910 -/10 X

Ratings: 7.5/10 from 476 users
Reviews: 14 user

After involved with a hit-and-run killing a child, Mr. Oliver Pope is haunted by his car.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
please get it fixed lol, just doesn't sound right reading the title haha

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I'm guessing defective ignition switch. The car is not just starting, but running and shutting off. If the command was coming in via remote start, I don't think it would be shutting off. And removing the key wouldn't stop it.

I think headlights turning off is normal when cranking. It's to reduce the stress on the battery.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
I really like the 1 about waking up Dead ..

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Ya know this 1 really takes the cake the ice cream the pie .. I thought I was having a snack ..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Creepy! The lights keep dimming like it's trying to start itself again... while it's already running!

That's got to be some kind of weird grounding issue.

Let us know what you find out!

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
The lights keep dimming like it's trying to start itself again... while it's already running!
I notice the headlights go out when it's cranking, but I also notice that the lights go out right when the engine is dying - perhaps either as a result of the same "stop" command or as the BCM tries to shed electrical load to save the engine.

I'd be curious about what they find as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts