Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
too many of these stories with diesel engines and gm, whether the 1.6, 2.0 or the trucks

they dont know how to fix them, it sucks, but its the reality

dealer told me i needed a new dpf, i said release the car to me

drove it (while on the countdown to death) gear or two lower to keep temps up for 90 mins, cleared itself

and was fine for the next 5000 miles when i deleted it.

new dpf, huh?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Does the oil cooler have a thermostat for bypass? My Mazda RX-7 had an oil-to-air cooler and it had a thermostat that would open at 180ºF if I am remembering correctly. It bypassed (or mostly bypassed) the cooler if oil temperature was lower than that.
I don't believe so, because the oil cooler will actually act as an oil "heater" until the engine warms up. Getting the oil up to temp faster. This is because, coolant normally heats up much quicker than the oil in an engine.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
too many of these stories with diesel engines and gm, whether the 1.6, 2.0 or the trucks

they dont know how to fix them, it sucks, but its the reality
It isn't like others aren't going through the same thing. VW is the notable brand with lots and LOTS of problems.

A coworker of mine had a beautiful problem with her 2014 Jetta during the Polar Vortex. CEL came on and the glow plug lamp started flashing, which is a VW method of signaling trouble. Car went into limp mode and had to be restarted multiple times on her way to work, home from work, and in the next couple days. Dealership told her "Oh, it's a cold weather problem. Lots of these cars have that issue now so we will get you in on Tuesday." Turns out that as early as 2012, VW knew they had problems with moisture freezing in the intercooler because they have a split EGR system where some low-pressure EGR goes into the intake before the intercooler. This can result in intercoolers that gather water and freeze, or liquid water that can be drawn into the engine and hydrolock the engine on start or during running. VW did nothing to fix this issue by changing the parts, and for several years they continued to produce cars with this defect and only addressed the issue on a case-by-case basis. If you have this problem during the warranty, they'll fix it. If you have this problem out of warranty, get screwed because they don't care.

At 80,000 miles she is lucky the extended warranty covered the issue. It was a $1,800 repair otherwise.

At one point the car wouldn't start in the morning and she had to basically floor the accelerator to get it to start. That was the point that she could have drawn water or ice into the engine and possibly wrecked it with a lot of damage from hydrolock. Makes me wonder if her extended warranty covers engine replacement, and what she would get out of that deal.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Oil cooler doesn't have any thermostats.
Cooler is bolted to rear of block, filtered oil exits the oil filter, is sent through the block into the oil cooler for conditioning, and directed back into the block to feed the galleries. Coolant comes from in the block and passes through the cooler on its way to the heater core inlet.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
When removing the sensor, the threads stripped out with it. They have to order a new DPF to replace.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
The dealership gave me a Bolt EV as a loaner after confirming I was ok with that. I said it was fine because I had stuff to do yesterday, but then I have to go out-of-town today to take my dad to a VA appointment. No problem, there are EV chargers at my work so I’ll have enough range to do that.

This morning I find that both EV chargers are broken and I do not have enough range to go where I planned today. FML

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
The dealership gave me a Bolt EV as a loaner after confirming I was ok with that. I said it was fine because I had stuff to do yesterday, but then I have to go out-of-town today to take my dad to a VA appointment. No problem, there are EV chargers at my work so I’ll have enough range to do that.

This morning I find that both EV chargers are broken and I do not have enough range to go where I planned today. FML
omg

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

Extension cord?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Extension cord?
There is a 120v charger cord in the trunk but where I work doesn't even have a single outlet anywhere outside, like on the parking lot light poles that you frequently see. Believe me, I looked, because I was going to get the oil pan heater for my car and use it there and maybe at home because the landlord offered to put in a 120v outlet at my parking space if I needed it.

120v gives you about 3-4 miles of range per hour. It's 50 hours to fully charge the vehicle from a 120v outlet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you can't find one along your route, any dealer that sells the Bolt is required to provide free courtesy charging. Most of the chargers are fairly slow, and not all are accessible after business hours. They aren't listed on any EV charging sites but it might be something you can look into.

The Bolt owners I know make good use of them and schedule picking up lunch or dinner to eat in the car and give it 20-30 minutes to gather electricity.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
any dealer that sells the Bolt is required to provide free courtesy charging
Yeah, the dealership loaning me the car has two chargers indoors, but both of then are just basic 240v chargers. One of them is blocked by a Camaro sitting there for about a week that's "Waiting on parts." I didn't want to have to maneuver around to plug into the other charger and then wait about 4 hours for it to charge.

The west side of town has a 150kW DC charger (the Bolt can peak at about 50kW of charging from that). It was nice to pay 43¢ per kWh to do a fast charge. The price of that electricity has to rival cocaine on a price-per-gram basis.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
any dealer that sells the Bolt is required to provide free courtesy charging
This really is holding back adoption of EVs. Chevy didn't do anything to require the dealers to have DC fast chargers or make them available to people by installing them where they are accessible.

I realize things cost money, but GM could have done far better by investing in DC fast chargers that are in places at dealerships to where they are available and accessible to Bolt owners.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Charging networks and availability need to improve significantly to get these cars to be convenient enough for wide spead adoption by the general public.

Otherwise how is the Bolt?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Hah, I just found this adapter that lets you plug the 120v cord into a 240v socket.

This seems to be... kinda dangerous? I mean, leave this lying around for someone who doesn't know what it is for and I can see a fire happening?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Otherwise how is the Bolt?
Terrible for the MSRP.

This one is $43,000 on the window sticker. Interior is absolute garbage (which I hear is greatly improved on the 2022 model arriving soon) and I don't care for the leather seats. They are heated, but still not ventilated so they'd be sweaty in summer. The stereo is Bose and sounds worse than my Cruze. Range is nothing special and using the heat really knocks it down because it's just a resistance heater when it could have been using the AC system as a reversible heat pump for more efficiency.

"Fast" charging is still capped at 50 kW when Tesla has been doing far greater for far longer - even the junk Nissan Leaf fast charges at 100 kW. The battery pack is water cooled so I think they could have linked that to the AC system as a sort of power chiller for the battery pack to pump some extra current into it without it overheating.

I know that the prior few years had the $7,500 tax credit to bring the price down, and GM was also discounting these by $10,000 at a lot of dealerships, so the $43k MRSP isn't really what people pay. It's still way out of my price range as I didn't qualify for the tax credit when it was available. Then, I go to my work and find BOTH the chargers are out of order, so I've really got no place to charge it. If I could get an affordable EV and have chargers that aren't out-of-order where I work, that would be fine.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Terrible for the MSRP.

This one is $43,000 on the window sticker. Interior is absolute garbage (which I hear is greatly improved on the 2022 model arriving soon) and I don't care for the leather seats. They are heated, but still not ventilated so they'd be sweaty in summer. The stereo is Bose and sounds worse than my Cruze. Range is nothing special and using the heat really knocks it down because it's just a resistance heater when it could have been using the AC system as a reversible heat pump for more efficiency.

"Fast" charging is still capped at 50 kW when Tesla has been doing far greater for far longer - even the junk Nissan Leaf fast charges at 100 kW. The battery pack is water cooled so I think they could have linked that to the AC system as a sort of power chiller for the battery pack to pump some extra current into it without it overheating.

I know that the prior few years had the $7,500 tax credit to bring the price down, and GM was also discounting these by $10,000 at a lot of dealerships, so the $43k MRSP isn't really what people pay. It's still way out of my price range as I didn't qualify for the tax credit when it was available. Then, I go to my work and find BOTH the chargers are out of order, so I've really got no place to charge it. If I could get an affordable EV and have chargers that aren't out-of-order where I work, that would be fine.
theyre $24k out the door errywhere (with the credits)

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,962 Posts
Hah, I just found this adapter that lets you plug the 120v cord into a 240v socket.

This seems to be... kinda dangerous? I mean, leave this lying around for someone who doesn't know what it is for and I can see a fire happening?

View attachment 290914
No, it's fine - the EVSE can handle both 120V and 240V. At least the Volt's can, so I don't expect the Bolt to be any different.

theyre $24k out the door errywhere (with the credits)
GM is out of credits in the US (along with Tesla), so none of those exist here, unfortunately.

Thankfully they did when I got my Volt. Made the ~$36k car around $25,500 (because it was a dealer loaner, so it was already decreased a few thousand, down to about $33k).

For '22, the base price drops $5k with more standard features.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
the Bolt does use the A/C system refrigerant and a battery pack coolant chiller to regulate pack temp during charging as well as vehicle operation.

DC fast charging option is limited to 50kW to my understanding based on the availability of infrastructure(why offer more when more isnt really available) and because high charging currents/speeds reduce battery life. slower charging offers more stable and predictable battery lifetimes.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
"I'll just charge the car while I'm at the gym. Commerce Bank has a charger across the street."

It’s broken…

61 - 80 of 95 Posts