Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are other posts about this. trust me I did as much research as possible before submitting my concerns here. but I have no other options. ive been to 2 different dealerships, ive even gone through GM. and no one can figure out what is wrong with my car. it shakes at idle. not a subtle vibration but if will physically move you while your sitting in the drivers seat. the first dealership did a full intake cleaning. replaced the faulty intake manifold. replaced the water pump. cleaned the throttle body multiple times. ive changed the plugs gapping them at .028 and have checked twice sense. the second dealership change out the valve cover for a second time along with the tube that connects the intake with the turbo. it will shake whether the A/C is on or off. but only at idle. its a manual transmission that has been replaced twice already. there is no CEL. GM tells me that the car I functioning as it was designed. I didn't know GM designed cars to shake it currently has 96K miles on it and the shaking didn't start until 6 months ago. please someone tell me in not crazy.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
are you in neutral or have the clutch all the way depressed when it shutters?
What type of fuel are you using?
Have you had the ground cable replaced under recall?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I still have the original clutch, the shaking starts when the RPM's drop. at 1000 rpm's theres no vibrations. when it hits 800 and below. is when the shaking begins. it doesn't matter if the clutch is pushed in or let out. I always run 93 and they said the ground cable was a "special condition" not a recall. I suggesed they change it. its sitting at the dealership as we speak.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had HID's in the car and they messed with the radio signal. if I turned my lights off the radio would pick up stations that it normally wouldn't with the lights on. so I put the original lights back in.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,575 Posts
Ask them to check for any updated engine software.

In colder weather at about 1/4 temperature my car sometimes feels like it's chugging or something weird at idle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No change after the tune. Doesn't burn oil. Idk about the compression test. And could a coil pack cause that ?

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
I had HID's in the car and they messed with the radio signal. if I turned my lights off the radio would pick up stations that it normally wouldn't with the lights on. so I put the original lights back in.
That is common with HIDS across more than just the cruze.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
the shaking didn't start until 6 months ago.
Anything else happen around that time period?

I suppose a coil pack is a possibility, but I'd think the unburt fuel would create a CEL. I'm thinking either a air leak in the vacuum system (brake booster?) or perhaps a sticky injector that doesn't like the short pulse that idle requires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It started doing it every once in a while in the beginning. The more time that passed it got to be more and more and now it's an every stop occurrence after warmup

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
It started doing it every once in a while in the beginning. The more time that passed it got to be more and more and now it's an every stop occurrence after warmup
Wait - so when this started it would be rough only at some stops and not others on the same trip?? My WAG on the brake booster is sounding better.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
By its nature, a four cylinder engine, due to the long pause between cylinder firings (180 degrees of crankshaft rotation or 1/2 turn) transmits those firing impulses as vibration.
Because of this, four cylinder designs use very soft, and in some cases, liquid filled, motor mounts.
In addition, every tube and hose leading from/to the engine and attached to the chassis will have a flexible line to prevent that vibration from transfering into the chassis......if it would transfer into the chassis the body of the car becomes a bit of a tuning fork and amplifies the vibration as the skin of a drum.

So much for what goes on.

Since I see you have been a member since 2011, and since you indicate a turbo replacement I can safely assume you are driving a 2011 LT series.
Many of the 2011's experienced a fuel line that was either routed too close to the firewall/toe panel joint or was not properly clamped in its plastic holder.
This would evidence itself as a vibration feel and sound in the passenger compartment but because it was vibrating against a metal floorboard it made the entire floor a sounding board.

Diagnosis/resolution starts with someone (you) sitting in the idling car while it is making the feeling/sound, while someone is under the hood (this means someone moderatly mechanical) gently moves the various lines, in the area I described, by pushing/pulling up, down, side to side to see if the frequency changes or disappears.
If this pinpoints the culprit, then look at the various fasteners holding it......the line may be out of position, the fastener damaged, or it may just need a bit of bend to provide clearance.
Because of the past, you can see why I'm homing in on a line.

There is a second scenario........although the dealer said the mounts were fine...(X-RAY vision, eh?) that just means they don't appear broken......I'm ok with that.
But if you have ever had a water pump replaced, the upper mount was removed for access and the engine was supported from below.
The dealer should verify that the mount is correctly situated and the bolts that were disturbed are correctly torqued.
Also, a careful examination from below to verify nothing was inadvertently bent while the engine was being supported.

Thats about all I can offer up at this distance.

Good luck,
Rob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The car was shaking before the water pump was changed. They changed the water pump when I took it in for the shaking. Did I mention when I turn the car off I hear clanging and clunking in the engine. Plus the shaking isn't just a sound. The whole car shakes.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts