Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, wasn't sure where to put this. Move it if need be :)

My car was parked in my driveway and my neighbour was pulling in and swiped the rear corner of the car. The left brake light is busted, bumper is scrapped up and the quarter panel is dented as well. Thankfully I have pictures to show the insurance company. He said he didn't think that he hit it but wasn't sure. Also said that he slid into it ( this is after a snow storm ) but there's no skid marks on that ground.

According to GM it'll be about $3500 to fix it. I'm not willing to go to a body shop and have the repairs done as I just bought this car 6 weeks ago.

From the look of the vehicle from the rear standing back about 10ft or so, the bumper doesn't look like it's lined up anymore. Moved in on the left side and not on the right side.

My questions are, could the impact throw something out of whack that when the bumper is replaced it'll still not look right? Could there be more damage behind the bumper than I think there is?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Sorry guys, wasn't sure where to put this. Move it if need be :)

My car was parked in my driveway and my neighbour was pulling in and swiped the rear corner of the car. The left brake light is busted, bumper is scrapped up and the quarter panel is dented as well. Thankfully I have pictures to show the insurance company. He said he didn't think that he hit it but wasn't sure. Also said that he slid into it ( this is after a snow storm ) but there's no skid marks on that ground.

According to GM it'll be about $3500 to fix it. I'm not willing to go to a body shop and have the repairs done as I just bought this car 6 weeks ago.

From the look of the vehicle from the rear standing back about 10ft or so, the bumper doesn't look like it's lined up anymore. Moved in on the left side and not on the right side.

My questions are, could the impact throw something out of whack that when the bumper is replaced it'll still not look right? Could there be more damage behind the bumper than I think there is?
You wont know till the bumper cover is removed but most likely the actual bumper (that lives under the cover and is called the 'reenforcement') will be damaged as well as its mounting points.

Gotta ask.....why don't you let a shop handle it?......new car deserves to stay new.

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Neighbor or not, he broke it, his insurance company should pay for it. From experience, damage is always worse than what the exterior shows.

Chevy dealer in town recently had a new paint booth installed to handle these new paints, want to find shop that was this equipment for an exact match. Should be just like new.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You wont know till the bumper cover is removed but most likely the actual bumper (that lives under the cover and is called the 'reenforcement') will be damaged as well as its mounting points.

Gotta ask.....why don't you let a shop handle it?......new car deserves to stay new.

Rob
Car is only 6 weeks old and has about 2500km on it. For the price we pay for them, I don't want to think every time I get in it that it has body fill. Call me crazy.

If it was a few years old, I wouldn't have any problems with the local body shop and body fill.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
without pictures, there is no way we can really guess. Chances are, it is just the bumper cover, 1/4 panel & light, but until it gets taken apart and inspected no one can give an accurate quote. It needs to go to a body shop for an inspection if nothing else. Take it to the Dealer's shop if it makes you feel better.

They should not use body fill, they should actually fix or replace the parts as needed.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Car is only 6 weeks old and has about 2500km on it. For the price we pay for them, I don't want to think every time I get in it that it has body fill. Call me crazy.

If it was a few years old, I wouldn't have any problems with the local body shop and body fill.
Your are assuming a good body repair involves large quantities of bondo (filler)
It does not......a good shop gets the metal very close to its original dimensions and, yes, a bit of filler, never exceeding about a eighth inch may be required.
Having been in the biz (not body shops) for what seems forever, you will be shocked to find there are few new cars produced that don't require filler prior to paint while on the assembly line.......there are few stampings that come off the press in flawless condition.

So, done correctly, filler can't be found anyways......your car, your decision though.

Anyways, like I said, once the cover is removed you will be able to see what real damage has occured.

Rob

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Have an appointment to take the car in on Tuesday because the drivers seat back squeaks and the rear view is loose. Will have them look at it at that time as well.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts

That's just silly dude lol. You have every right to think that and its normal...But let me fill u in on something. I had a 2012 cruze LT before I bought my ECO. I traded it in long story short. But when I had the lt for a month...not kidding, this is too good to make up. I was working at the dealership where I bought it from to get a good discount, and I was heading home. I live 45 minutes away. I left at 9pm, and pulled off the four lane highway to go into town where I lived. I wasn't even off the exit ramp to come into town where some houses were by a bridge to take me over the 4 lane hwy and I was passing a couple houses when out of the blue I hear a loud BANG. I looked around and couldn't see anything until I got under a street light. What I discovered was a 8 inch hole in front passenger window closest to the mirror, glass everywhere, even on me. I get out parked under a street light and go to that side of the damage, and discovered some punk kids shot my window out with BB guns. The paint was gouged on both doors and the qtr panel from the glass being blown from the wind, my seat was torn, my door panel had gouges in it from the glass, the running boards and side seat trim cover had gouges and scrapes on it from the glass as well. (the scrapes came from me moving the seat back and forth vaccuming the glass out before I took it to the collision center at my selling dealership. That was $2,300 in damage. I had to pay $250.00 from my deductible. But after it was all repaired, I didn't notice anything different, other than they left compound on my front and rear passenger lights, and had a couple greasy finger prints on my headliner...but other than that, my car was back to the way it was. I had one of the dealerships best painters do the painting...and I was impressed by his ability to repaint the two doors and blend them back in with the fender and quarter panel. So from my personal experience, if you take it to a dealership or body shop that has a very good reputation and great people, your car will be back to the way it was, and as long as your thorough on your repairs. Tell them you want it PERFECT..lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Alloy wheel

The first two was from being rear-ended... the last one was the repair. Having the bumper fixed does make a major difference in the appearance of the car. Just go to a good place b/c I have to bring mine in (6 months later because the bumper looks like it dropped but the place I went to has a mixed reputation though

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
View attachment 56001 View attachment 55993 View attachment 56009

The first two was from being rear-ended... the last one was the repair. Having the bumper fixed does make a major difference in the appearance of the car. Just go to a good place b/c I have to bring mine in (6 months later because the bumper looks like it dropped but the place I went to has a mixed reputation though
WOW...that looks really good from the picture. How long did they have it in the shop?. Thats the same color as my ECO=]. Glad to see another member on here with the same color cruze as me. I thought for awhile now i was the only one on here with that color lol...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts