Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Cruze and my daughter drove it to school and home and the next morning went to start it and nothing. The starter doesn't even try to start. Codes come up fuel level low, service parking assist and service power steering. Put a new battery in it..still nothing. Anyone have an idea? Thank you

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Take a jumper cable and attach it to the negative battery terminal (leave the cars cables attached to the battery)

Attach the other end of the jumper cable (same color now.....now don't get fooled) and attach it to any steel or iron part of the engine block.

You are essentially substituting a ground cable......once set up, see if it cranks and starts....if so, the ground cable has developed too much resistance.......pay no attention to the current codes.....they are a result of a current interruption.

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Just turned the ignition on, on mine, blower motor to four, with a voltmeter probe touching the negative battery terminal, not the clamp, other end to the ground stud where the other end of the negative battery is attached to, read 2.2 volts. Told me the negative battery cable was bad. Can do the same in on the positive battery side.

Knew the battery was good, measured at 12.9 volts.

This is already a five year old car, friend has a five year old Toyota with the same problem, his problem was badly corroded battery terminals. Do sell a special brush for cleaning these. Always coat them with silicone grease, helps retarding corrosion. This problem is over 100 years old.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
ECM, ECU, or PCM? All refer to the engine control computer, actually a microcomputer or a microcontroller. And without code, firmware, or software, worthless. Actually with only one byte out of several million, the controller will get confused and crash.

So was it replaced with a new one, or was the original reflashed? Another word used to described reloading the original code. Since OBD II was introduced, switched from using a PROM, code permanently burned into memory, to EEROM's that can be reset to zero with just 0.75 volts on the reset pin. We do this all the time with memory chips for our smart phones and digital cameras.

Traditionally this tiny partial computer with a dealers price of $445.00 was mounted in the dash with a less severe environment. But practically all the wires go to the engine, so in the Cruze mounted it next to the battery that saves a lot of wire. Compared to say a 250 buck laptop with a 15.6 inch screen, speakers, 500GB harddrive, really not very much in this small box.

Ha, now I am seeing laptops without an optical drive, how do you load software? Easy, download software off the net, of if on a dual layer DVD type disc, use a computer with an optical drive, download that to a USB memory stick, then used that to this optical drive less computer. Dealer is doing it the same way, except we cannot get access to this so called firmware.

Yet another problem with the power supply that was to be extremely clean, ripple and glitch free in the vehicle is the battery. And is a two way street. With poor connectivity from the battery to ground, another bad joke, ground is used to save wire, besides having starting and other computer related problems, that battery is the only filter for the alternator.

Going way back even to the 30's, a mechanical voltage regulator was use, to either full field the generator or completely shut it off, each time it shuts off, not much different than an ignition coil, generates a very high flyback voltage. What the transistor did, is just replaced those annoying points. But still switching that field on and off.

This can be avoided by using a linear voltage regulator, where the field coil always sees a constant DC current proportional to the alternator load, in short, no switching, no flyback pulses that can really disturb the very delicate electronics, and even reset that code in the ECM. When this happens, we are dead meat.

Why can't we use a linear regulator? Bean counters, if an average 4 amp full field alternator, worst case power dissipation is when the regulator voltage is the same as the field voltage, or in a 14 volt system, 7 volts! Current would also be half, so the power dissipation of this transistor would on by 2 times 7 or 14 watts, that would require a 15 cent heat sink. Way too much money to be spent, even for an 80,000 buck vehicle!

But by using a switching transistor, its power dissipation is next to nothing and is even part of the monolithic chip and cost next to nothing. If you think our government are idiots, try marketing, the Cruze alternator is being switched at 120 time per second generating all kinds of transients!

We are however permitted to use a linear regulator in aircraft for at most a buck extra, FAA requires it because this switching causing interference with the communications systems. All its also causing problems in automotive with the very low voltage and super high impedance of CMOS microcontrollers.

So if you wonder why you are having problems, this is one of the key reasons. And is money really being saved by using flashram where code can be easily lost? Takes forever for a grease monkey to find and download this code, and put it into your vehicle, but they like this at a hundred bucks per hour. A PROM could be plugged in, in seconds if designed this way. Average production cost is around 60 cents.

Idiots in government and in marketing, intelligence and logic is out the window. And we have to pay the price for this. Not right!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I have a 2011 Cruze and my daughter drove it to school and home and the next morning went to start it and nothing. The starter doesn't even try to start. Codes come up fuel level low, service parking assist and service power steering. Put a new battery in it..still nothing. Anyone have an idea? Thank you
Hi Elderado,

I regret to hear about Cruze. We certainly understand how important transportation is in your daily routine. I am aware you took your vehicle in the shop to have this checked out. However, if you find that you need to make an appointment at a Chevrolet dealership feel free to send us a private message.

Best,

Cristina Y
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 8 of 8 Posts