Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've posted here. Sadly, it's not for the better

My 2013 Cruze 1.4 had the check engine light come on. Took it to the delership and said the catalytic converter has gone bad. I have 82k miles, and the dealership says it is NOT covered by my extended care warranty. Said it would cost $1400 to repair. Anyone else had this happen to them?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,704 Posts
I would try a rear O2 sensor before replacing the cat. converter. I assume you got an O2 sensor code?

There shouldn't be any reason for the catalyst to go bad unless the car was misfiring or running rich in the first place.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
You should look up emissions systems that are covered under warranty and how long they are covered for . I have to date never read about a catalytic converter going bad after only 2 years .. as j wrote this reads as if there is some other problem . have the codes read at autozone or comperable parts store and then analyzed for more information for us to elaborate further !

·
Registered
990 Posts
Did the code for the bad cat show up? I had the same code cleared it and never came back

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,704 Posts
You should look up emissions systems that are covered under warranty and how long they are covered for . I have to date never read about a catalytic converter going bad after only 2 years .. as j wrote this reads as if there is some other problem . have the codes read at autozone or comperable parts store and then analyzed for more information for us to elaborate further !
Unfortunately the emissions warranty goes out @ 80K.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Would be nice to get the code HaH .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies!

I'm not sure what codes popped up on the diagnostic test. The car is at the dealership as I type this and won't get it back till tomorrow. I'll let you know as soon as possible what the report reads..after I pay the $39.95 diagnostic fee...ughh.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Look into a Bluetooth OBD2 code reader along with the Toque APP .. you will want the BASF code reader ..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealership confirmed it was a bad catalytic converter.

I contacted GM to see if they could help men out since it JUST went over the warranty. They gave me a case number and told me a senior tech advisor would be in touch with me. That was two days ago. Still haven't heard from them. I bought this car brand new with an extended warranty. Looks like I'm SOL.

The car seems to be running fine. Took it to auto zone for diagnostic check. They said it was a P0420 code.

·
Administrator
25,266 Posts
Double check your extended warranty paperwork. Don't just trust the dealership to know what is and is not covered - there are way too many different extended warranties for dealerships to track them all.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Dealership confirmed it was a bad catalytic converter.

I contacted GM to see if they could help men out since it JUST went over the warranty. They gave me a case number and told me a senior tech advisor would be in touch with me. That was two days ago. Still haven't heard from them. I bought this car brand new with an extended warranty. Looks like I'm SOL.

The car seems to be running fine. Took it to auto zone for diagnostic check. They said it was a P0420 code.

thats the same code I pulled I cleared it and it never came back on

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called the extended warranty company and they confirmed a catalytic converter is not covered. I find that crazy. Dwight Schrute was right. Warranties are a rip off :-/

Gonna disconnect the battery to see if that clears it.

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
I'm not sure what the lifespan of a cat is. But I'm not sure as one would go at that age without some help from something upstream during it's warranty period. That's why I'd hope they'd do it as good will. I'm not sure as the failure was all in the last 2K miles. It just didn't turn on the light.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Was the car tuned? What type of gas did you put in? Did you use a "Top Tier" fuel? Did you put gas treatment in? Did the car start acting weird?
Just some questions to help understand what might of caused the problem.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Short of someone putting leaded fuel into it or a condition that would cause it to literally melt into a blob....I've seen cars with 175K miles and 250k miles with the original cats in place. The one in my Honda lasted to about 175k miles until I ran over something on the road that hit it dented the case and fractured the ceramic honycomb core the Paladuim alloy that does the work is plated over into about 6 chunks.

I found out when one of them migrated back to the resonator and managed to rotate sideways causeing a world class restriction with the other chunks right behind it.

Was convinced it was a plugged cat unitl I removed it...saw it empty...and was thinking back...it wasn't empty when I put this engine in...and it wasn't empty when I passed all those Northern VA dynomometer based emissions tests easily every year. Found them when I took the rest of the exhaust system appart. If I didn't have a 2.5" system on the car...they would never have moved.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
I'm not sure what the lifespan of a cat is. But I'm not sure as one would go at that age without some help from something upstream during it's warranty period. That's why I'd hope they'd do it as good will. I'm not sure as the failure was all in the last 2K miles. It just didn't turn on the light.
A catalytic converter has a lifespan of 10 years at which time they tend to
Clog and the precious metals react with an adverse chemistry ..
A good 1 will appear to be charcoal white . a bad 1 will appear dark black ..

Chemical make up of the metals exposed to the extreme heat generated over long periods of time contributes to the degeneration of these metals .. and if there is an excessive amount of rich burning cycles produced for the cat to eliminate from the exhaust streams this may have a possible affect on the longevity of said catylitic converter ..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use unleaded 87 fuel. Car is bone stock.

It still drives perfect.

I drive strictly highway miles. Always kept up with maintenance.

I actually started it up right now and the light went away. Went to Walgreens. Got back in the car and after five minutes of driving the light came back on. Not sure what to think.

·
Administrator
25,266 Posts
I suspect a sensor. Take a look at the link about how to diagnose this code. You may not need a new cat. We have seen O2 sensors go out on the Cruze.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I called the extended warranty company and they confirmed a catalytic converter is not covered. I find that crazy. Dwight Schrute was right. Warranties are a rip off :-/

Gonna disconnect the battery to see if that clears it.
I never could figure out that all the extended warranties I was offered none of them went past the emissions warranty and none of them went into high mileage. Also reading the fine print they really don't cover anything.

Give me one for 20 years and 200,000 miles and you would have my interest.

Sucks that GM won't at least give you some help since you are only 2,000 miles over. Like maybe half off of parts and or labor. Loyalty should count for something.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts