Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,268 Posts
Thta's in your brain .. Billable HOUR ..............

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
Cats fail for any number of reasons...fail means it does an inadequate job of converting HC..not to be confused with a meltdown that restricts the exaust.

Sometimes too much sulfer in the fuel, sometimes the substrate overheats and the cat becomes less effective.
The O2 sensors look at the unburned gases prior to and after catalyst treatment.....a code sets if the 'in' reading and 'out' reading haven't changed enouph, meaning a dead cat.

I would be inclined to replace both sensors before I pitch the cat though.....and, if I replace a cat I replace both sensors anyways just so the readings are crisp again.

Catalytic converters have never been a covered a repair for any brand extended warranty ever.......the folks that do the actuarials know that this is a failure that can happen at any time......sux, but thats the way it has always been.

Rob

·
Registered
561 Posts
Cats fail for any number of reasons...fail means it does an inadequate job of converting HC..not to be confused with a meltdown that restricts the exaust.

Sometimes too much sulfer in the fuel, sometimes the substrate overheats and the cat becomes less effective.
The O2 sensors look at the unburned gases prior to and after catalyst treatment.....a code sets if the 'in' reading and 'out' reading haven't changed enouph, meaning a dead cat.

I would be inclined to replace both sensors before I pitch the cat though.....and, if I replace a cat I replace both sensors anyways just so the readings are crisp again.

Catalytic converters have never been a covered a repair for any brand extended warranty ever.......the folks that do the actuarials know that this is a failure that can happen at any time......sux, but thats the way it has always been.

Rob
So lets say you have driven 70,000 miles on the car. Does this mean that the cat is doing ok and short of something striking it on the road it will do ok or are you saying the catalytic converter is a grenade in the engine with a loose pin that could self destruct the engine at any time?

How much do these things cost to replace?

·
Administrator
25,372 Posts
So lets say you have driven 70,000 miles on the car. Does this mean that the cat is doing ok and short of something striking it on the road it will do ok or are you saying the catalytic converter is a grenade in the engine with a loose pin that could self destruct the engine at any time?

Like all systems, catalytic converters do fail. My Transport (240,000 miles) and Montana (186,000 miles) never had a catalytic converter fail. Most people will never have one fail. Replacing one isn't that labor intensive but the converter itself is somewhat pricy. OP was quoted $1,400 to replace his. I suspect $1,200 was for the cat and $200 was for labor. You put the car on a lift, cut the converter out and put a new one in.

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts

Not really a timebomb.....cats fail as a result of something, often fuel (quality) related, sometimes a result of a one time occurence such as a extreme case of fuel flooding.
Speculation abounds and, in the grand scheme of things, I'll bet far less than 1% of the entire, catalyst equipped vehicle population ever has a problem.

Certainly not the kind of thing to frett over......unless you are the unfortunate soul that has the failure.

Rob

·
Registered
561 Posts
So it is sort of like the transmission ripping itself apart. The likelihood of having it dies on you twice with one car is not very high and I might not even have to run into it. phew

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
There's also dozens of video's on youtube about cleaning converters for this P0420 Code. While I wouldn't do some of the red neck solutions like pouring direct solvent in the gas tank, I would consider a product like Seafoam, or the equivalent product from CRC in the gas tank.

Pouring this in accordance with the instructions on the can into the fuel system and driving for several hundred miles.

It appears that this code is an efficiency of the converter code, and it's possible to set the code with the converter working at <95% efficiency. I suspect due to government regulations there's not much allowable range in a code like this.

The real problem is if you're in a state where you have emission testing to obtain yearly registration tabs. I'm guessing a P0420 will have to be reset before going, and you'll have to drive it enough to get most of the emission tests to go complete. Any sense of a P0420 and I'm guessing you wouldn't pass.

To the original poster, if you don't fix it, may be time for a scan tool like the Torque App.

Otherwise, do some googling to educate yourself as to if you really want to fix this one.

If you have the cat replaced and want to make some money, require the shop to give the old cat with the material stuck inside back to you. In my area used cats get $30-$100 at a scrap metal processor. I don't believe there's a core charged on cat converters from repair shops, but some of them like to keep them, so they get the easy scrap value.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,268 Posts
The biggest problem with this issue IMO is that the average home mechanic is not even able to purchase a catylitic at a local supplier ..The sale of these parts are strictly regulated by design ..

I had to replace 1 back in cal. around 1999 or so what a pita to get my hands on 1 for $ 500.00 .. so I scoured the junkyards until I lucked on 1 .. that is when the fun began ..this particular cat bolted up with the exhaùst manifold piece of cake hah .. ahah no.. I purchased a front drivers seat and thats all I m saying .. to let ya know Me crx passed smog and the state of cal. sent me a letter thanking me for conforming to the smog regulations .. piece of pie .............................................with greaser on IT .. sup j ...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Brian-

Don't go scaring people. You're talking about emissions in California. If you're in California emissions regulations suck it's one of the worst in the country.

Cat's are in the rockauto catalog, and while some can't be shipped to Cali because they don't meet California emissions they can be sent everywhere else.

I don't think there's a listing for a car as new as a Cruze. The only option now would be to try cleaning solvents in the gas tank or possibly a used cat via a salvage yard. Maybe there are regulations imposed in certain states about the sale of this "emission component" in the secondary reuse market.

Not sure but not worried about it either!

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,268 Posts
Why ahh the truth is the truth .. and if you think that Rockauto can ship you a cat well then your lucky .. in my experience with emission components you are better off getting professional help either way ..

And if you think cal. is strict well check with your own state regulations surrounding these issues .. usually the legislation that is inacted first are observed by other states and then will eventualy wind up on other states dockets .. so definately do some research about your states emissions regulations ... or do what I did ahh buy a front seat ..

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Rockauto shows a listing for the 2012 1.4L for $152. But it is not California or New York Approved..

They show the cat as part of a 50" piece of exhaust pipe under the car. You get everything, it's a big one. I thought the cat was right after the exhaust turbo. Maybe the picture is wrong for $152.0. What's the "can" looking component directly downstream of the turbo, is that a Pre Cat?

Anyway, fears solved, move out of CA, or NY, and get an indendent mechanic.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nope-appears to be another ground, probably affects the injectors, my guess is erratic sensor signals from the ground causes the engine control module to over fuel the engine resulting in the bad cat--just a WAG

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hi guys.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to the message board.

I was going back and forth with GM and they ultimately decided not to offer any type of assistance.

Apparently the dealership told GM they wouldn't help me because I have no maintenance records with them. And they also said they couldn't help me because I didn't buy the car from them. Crazy. I know.

the car runs perfect. Check engine light is still on. Fuel economy is the same.

Based on some of your suggestions I see I should look into changing the oxygen sensors. Could someone point me to a part number for this? I'm not the most technical person.

And thanks again for all your comments. This truly is a great community.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,734 Posts
Hi guys.

I was going back and forth with GM and they ultimately decided not to offer any type of assistance.

Apparently the dealership told GM they wouldn't help me because I have no maintenance records with them. And they also said they couldn't help me because I didn't buy the car from them. Crazy. I know.

Based on some of your suggestions I see I should look into changing the oxygen sensors. Could someone point me to a part number for this? I'm not the most technical person.

Post-cat sensor (probably the one you want to replace) is ACD # 2134698 and comes in at a whopping $24.

Pre-cat sensor (may as well - controls your A/F ratio) is ACD # 2134674 @ $43.

Check out RockAuto for the parts - they've got great prices and pretty quick shipping times.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi guys.

Hello
Sorry to hear this, but there was a guy who had what you are looking for the post above you. I don't know if they are still for sale but IMO a great price. I would also do what jBlackburn says 1st because if this don't help you would want new sensors in when you do change the cats. Please keep us posted on what happen thanks

21 - 40 of 83 Posts