Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
It should be covered under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Mine went out too in my 2013 Cruze and it was covered by the powertrain warranty. I would call GM.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
That 80K mile emissions warranty came out in the early 70's and just like our property tax deduction, hasn't been changed with inflation. Lucky even to hit 100K miles back then.

Really paranoid about driving on snow covered roads, after complete exhaust manifold back replacement, somebody dropped a muffler buried in the snow that ripped the entire brand new system out.

Rich mixture is another cause of failure, but not really guess work, remove the O2 sensor and replace with a low pressure gauge, if over a couple of psi, have problems, each engine has its own specification. Yeah, and don't forget to replace the O2 sensor if there is anything left of it. Suckers sure rust in living in a 1,400*F environment.

Cats are strictly way after the fact for emissions control, ideally should be done up front. But have to live with this BS ever since 1972. One key reason why I clean my spark plugs every five minutes. Well it seems this way, love the Cruze for this, actually a fun job. Try a V-6 or 8 on a FWD, those back ones can be murder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
At 46k miles my car was throwing a P0420 code for catalyst under efficiency bank 2( believe). I took it to the dealer and they said it was the cat, they replaced it. Some background, I mostly fuel up at Flying J /w 87 as it's on my way to/from work. If I'm around Costco I'll fuel up there /w 87 and periodically throw some chevron or other fuel treatment into the tank. I don't ball out for the 91 octane, haven't had any noticeable improvements at all so I stopped going 91. With all this said, I understand Flying J probably doesn't use the best or most detergents in their fuel for the longevity of your vehicle. Since the cat has been replaced I have been fueling at Costco for their extra detergent additive. I will let you all know how I'm doing around 80k-90k miles on the cat.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, early Cobalts had issues with P0420 codes being set and having cats replaced. Around 2008 they issued a tsb I think calling for reprogramming. The cats were fine... Could be the same situation maybe?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,782 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, early Cobalts had issues with P0420 codes being set and having cats replaced. Around 2008 they issued a tsb I think calling for reprogramming. The cats were fine... Could be the same situation maybe?
They actually did this with the recent emissions recall for automatic 1.4T Cruzes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I have the same problem pop up days ago. I have 2013 cruze ltz with the p0420 code. I called my nearest dealer (62,000 miles) I told them the code and they said they couldn't tell me unless I brought it in. they said it was going to be 152 diagnosis charge too if it wasn't cover by warranty which I believe I missed it by 2000 .

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
Hi I have the same problem pop up days ago. I have 2013 cruze ltz with the p0420 code. I called my nearest dealer (62,000 miles) I told them the code and they said they couldn't tell me unless I brought it in. they said it was going to be 152 diagnosis charge too if it wasn't cover by warranty which I believe I missed it by 2000 .
18,000 left on emissions (80,000) and 38,000 left on power train (100,000). B2B died 26,000 miles ago (36,000).

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi Cavedogjr9,

Very sorry for the recent concerns, but I'm happy to hear that you are going to be heading into the dealership this week. Feel free to let me know if you need any additional assistance. I'm always happy to get in touch with the dealership, and forward them your information. Just send me over a private message!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I took the cruze in and I had a couple recalls they are going to do.. eng coolant and reprogram eng control module. I'm crossing my toes whatever is wrong is covered by warranty.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had this same issue happen recently. The check engine light started going on and off at about 94k miles. Took it to Autozone and they said it was a problem with an O2 sensor. The light finally started staying on at about 99k after a regular dealer service. They checked it for me because they thought it was the dip stick or oil filler cap. They said it was the "catalytic converter not operating at proper efficiency". I also have been playing "service tag" trying to have the most recent recall performed. I work out of town and can only get service done on Saturdays. My dealership is great about working with me and we are trying to get the recall done when we can both be in the right place one Saturday.

The reason I bring up the recent recall is because it is for the engine running too rich at higher rpms and wot. I'm wondering how this affected my catalytic converter and if it contributed to it's premature failure to meet proper efficiency? I know it's not the fuel as I always buy my fuel from Shell and use only premium octane. I think it's the rich mixture causing the failure due to my daily commute. I drive 90 miles one way on and off highways and turnpikes meaning I am accelerating at very high rpms and sometimes wot daily. I think that GM should replace the cat and/or O2 sensors due to their failure to properly program my car in the beginning and I will be bringing this up to the dealership once I can get an appt. to have the recall performed. If I get no joy from the dealership I will be moving on to GM directly.

My only other option is to remove the cat completely and apply a "tune" that eliminates the requirement for the reading that throws that code. I am certainly not paying $400-$800 to have a cat replaced when I can spend that money on a tune and get better performance.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,782 Posts
I had this same issue happen recently. The check engine light started going on and office at about 94k miles. Took it to Autozone and they said it was a problem with an O2 sensor. The light finally started staying on at about 99k after a regular dealer service. They checked it for me because they thought it was the dip stick or oil filler cap. They said it was the "catalytic converter not operating at proper efficiency". I also have been playing "service tag" trying to have the most recent recall performed. I work out of town and can only get service done on Saturdays. My dealership is great about working with me and we are trying to get the recall done when we can both be in the right place one Saturday.

The reason I bring up the recent recall is because it is for the engine running too rich at higher rpms and wot. I'm wondering how this affected my catalytic converter and if it contributed to it's premature failure to meet proper efficiency? I know it's not the fuel as I always buy my fuel from Shell and use only premium octane. I think it's the rich mixture causing it due to my daily commute. I drive 90 miles one way on and off highways and turnpikes meaning I am accelerating at very high rpms and sometimes wot daily. I think that GM should replace the cat and/or O2 sensors due to their failure to properly program my car in the beginning and I will be bringing this up to the dealership once I can get an appt. to have the recall performed. If I get no joy from the dealership I will be moving on to GM directly.

My only other option is to remove the cat completely and apply a "tune" that eliminates the requirement for the reading that throws that code. I am certainly not paying $400-$800 to have a cat replaced when I can spend that money on a tune and get better performance.
I would agree with you - and it's likely that running rich has slightly degraded the cat converter's performance.

The new update was also supposed to address the cat. converter efficiency codes, so in addition to changing fueling parameters at high throttle openings/high RPM, they may also reprogram the limits for that rear O2 sensor to make it stop throwing catalyst efficiency codes.

That catalyst efficiency code was also common on my old car as they got up there in age (150-200K miles); most people simply put on an O2 sensor spacer and went on with their lives.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Some interesting reading about P0420.

I believe you can graph the mV signal of both the front and rear oxygen sensor using the Torque App.

The Misleading Nature of the PO42O Code - Eastern Manufacturing
I just got P0420 Saturday night. My guess is the catatlytic converter needs replaced, but I'm not sure. It seems like my O2 sensors are working as they should. I took a video of my UltraGauge monitoring:

Short/Long Fuel Trim
O2 Sensor 1/2 Voltage
Catalytic Converter Temperature/AFR
Boost/Fuel Pressure

From the article: "After this, look at the wave forms between the front and rear O2 sensors. If the front O2 wave form is switching from high to low (rich to lean) and the rear is close to a straight line, the original converter should be OK. If the rear O2 sensor is mimicking the front one, the converter most likely took damage and may need to be replaced."

Based on that, it seems like the converter might be OK since the rear O2 sensor it not mimicking the front one.

From the article: "
The front O2 sensor should be switching from rich (over 600mV) to lean (under 300mV) and the rear O2 sensor, or converter monitor, should be a nice, smooth line with minimal variance in mV. When looking at the values of the O2 sensors pay particular attention to the switching rate of the sensors and be sure that neither the front nor rear sensor drops out or spikes for extended amounts of time. If either a slow switching rate or spike/drop-out happens, but the O2 then recovers and appears to be operating normally, the O2 sensor may be starting to deteriorate – or as a lot of people say, “It has become lazy” and may need to be replaced."

Based on this, it seems like the front O2 sensor may be a little lazy. The refresh rate of the UltraGauge could make it seem like it is not rapidly switching back and forth, but it seems like it would throw a code for the first O2 sensor.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013 Cruze's catalytic converter went on April of '15 too! I forget mileage but it was around 30,000 and dealership said they've never had one go. Chevy replaced it and paid for rental car. Now my clutch went and according to the mechanic it is also a manufacturers defect. I have 36,900 miles on the car. So very disappointed in this model.....trying to get rid of it but there's always something wrong!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2012 chevy cruze eco manual . Have had a lot of problems. Transmission went out, water pump, radiator, pcv valve. All under warranty.* Most recent problem tho was the knock sensor failed and messed up my timing so bad the car sounded like an old diesel motor. The replaced that (not covered by warranty) and a week later still sounded the same. They started getting into the engine found that the timing chain guide rail broke? They didn't charge me for that. But ever since then ive always checked under the hood and have been finding my catalytic converter to be glowing red?? Idk why or if this is normal? I dont drive the car like a race car. Its an eco. But i complained so much that they replaced it for free. And they found a code. Only thing is. The cat is still getting red hot even with the new one. Any ideas of whats wrong with my demon car? Thanks about 77,xxx on the car

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not really a timebomb.....cats fail as a result of something, often fuel (quality) related, sometimes a result of a one time occurence such as a extreme case of fuel flooding.
Speculation abounds and, in the grand scheme of things, I'll bet far less than 1% of the entire, catalyst equipped vehicle population ever has a problem.

Certainly not the kind of thing to frett over......unless you are the unfortunate soul that has the failure.

Rob
Robby, if I just had a major engine repair done under warranty with a vacuum leak causing the engine to run rich, then that could have caused the early failure. Come on man, I've owned 100 years + worth of cars and never heard of a cat converter failing. LOTS of other parts fail like O2 sensors, but not this. Something caused it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Brian-

Don't go scaring people. You're talking about emissions in California. If you're in California emissions regulations suck it's one of the worst in the country.

Cat's are in the rockauto catalog, and while some can't be shipped to Cali because they don't meet California emissions they can be sent everywhere else.

I don't think there's a listing for a car as new as a Cruze. The only option now would be to try cleaning solvents in the gas tank or possibly a used cat via a salvage yard. Maybe there are regulations imposed in certain states about the sale of this "emission component" in the secondary reuse market.

Not sure but not worried about it either!
lol there isn't a listing for a car this new because IT's NOT SUPPOSED TO FAIL lol. You guys are helping a lot. God, how I love the internet. There is no new problem known to man. Am going to have fun down at the dealership tomorrow while they explain how the catalytic converter in a 3 yr old car needs to be replaced and that it has nothing to do with the engine repair 3 months ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Code PO420 "Catalyst system efficiency below threshold" would leave one to be that the catalyst honeycomb is covered with something or temp is too "cold" for it to work, O2 sensor sending bogus reading to ECM, but not throwing a malfunction code PO174-178. Also trouble codes for cat.conv. don't tell you if it's the pre-cat or the
"big dog" so they're charging you for replacing both. You have 2 heated O2 sensors sending data (upstream & downstream sensors) that info tells the ECM whether the cats are working or not. Is it idle it's not up to snuff or cruise? Has the dealer done a tailpipe dyno emissions test? That would really tell you what's working/not working, keep in mind O2 sensor also tells the ECM to make the fuel/air richer or leaner which will throw off a cats. ability to work properly.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts