Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day
I would like to know where I can get a Catalytic converter for the Chevy Cruze 2013 model 1.6L engine RHD.
Because my car was manufactured for the Caribbean it doesn't carry my VIN on the gm site in the US.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,099 Posts
There are a lot of people on this site that have done a converter delete. It might be possible to purchase a used one from one of the members. I would post in the WTB section if you would like to try that.

I see you have not been online for quite some time so Welcome Back!:welcome:

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I suspect you will only get the correct part number by directing your question to a dealer in a country that marketed your configuration.

The 1.6 was never offered in the US, so there are no resources available.

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
In the US while its legal to advertise and sell catalytic converter kits, if caught installing one, EPA has a $40,000.00 fine.

After the fact emission control device, started in 1972, 45 years of putting up with these things, prime purpose is like an after burned. Key is to burn that fuel inside of the engine and not in this thing, will toast and plug up. Fuel injectors and spark plugs have to stay constantly clean.

The O2 sensor is also a bad joke, with just one spark or injector failure it sees excessive oxygen in the exhaust, thinks the mixture is lean, so enriches the fuel to all the cylinders that really compounds the problem. There goes the cat, red hot, and melting.

Put a tiny spec of platinum or iridium on the spark plug electrodes, then advertise you don't have to do anything for 100K miles. But still burning carbon, highly conductive on the center electrode insulator and shorts out the spark directly to ground. Sure live in a world loaded with BS.

EPA is law and congress backs them up, either don't know anything about engines and manufacturers have to follow these laws or be in deep trouble. One reason why I gap my plugs on the low side and clean them maximum of 15K miles. No definitions for top tier gas, but still have about 15% carbon in it.

How do I know all this stuff, was a 31 year old engineer at the time, GM was vehemently opposed to using the cat, until they realized they could make a lot of extra profits with this thing, been quiet ever since. Engineers also objected to using just one O2 sensor, should be one for each cylinder to prevent enriching the mixture, but you do what you are told to do or will find somebody else.

PCV sure beat the breather pipe, but now this crap is plugging up the fuel injectors, was not a problem before with the carb, intake manifold was naked. Then unleaded gas with a high combustion temperature, had to add EGR to cool things down, both add more crap to the combustion chamber.

Besides carbon, nitrogen is a problem, causes NOx's, smog for short. Technology does exist to remove it, so lean burn engines are out of the question for better fuel economy. Sill trying after some odd 40 years to develop a cat that can kill NOx's.

One way to avoid all these problems, just trade it in every three years so you can pass your problems to someone else. Just telling it like it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts