Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Have what I feel is kind of a stupid ? but one I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on rather than me calling the dealership.

One of my parents (think late 50's, not terrible with tech, but not the most up to date either) want's a CD player for their Cruze for Christmas, which I'm pretty sure is a 2017 (they are over 4 hours away so sadly I cannot physically verify)

Based on everything I've seen so far as I've been searching- looks like one wasn't/isn't even an option, which I get, but what options would I have for my folks ? Is there an AUX input or USB that I could plug a portable one into ? I drove the car on thanksgiving but can't remember for the life of me if it had something easy to plug into. My folks currently don't have any music on digital- everything is CD (or cassette )

Anybody have any ideas / suggestions/ possible solutions that would be reasonably easy for my folks ? For the record, it's one of the middle of the road packages- not the highest trim level but I don't think it's the lowest either.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Buy a Sandisk Cruser 64GB thumb drive. Rip their CDs to it in folders. Optional: add cover art. Show them how to navigate the menus. All their CDs right at their fingertips.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Buy a Sandisk Cruser 64GB thumb drive. Rip their CDs to it in folders. Optional: add cover art. Show them how to navigate the menus. All their CDs right at their fingertips.
So Chevy dropped the CD player option completely for all Gen 2’s?

·
10,712 Posts
The other cars like Cadillac they banished it to the glove box while Dodge was tossing it in the center console. 2020 logically sounds like they go back to trunk mounted again.

I'm also gonna say USB route. I went that way with the Cruze and the Accord when Apple kept making updates that weren't car friendly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome! Thank you for the responses everyone! I'm an android user, and not terribly fond of apples products, so I was hoping no one would suggest an iPod. I was thinking rip and USB, but wasn't sure how many CD's I'd be looking at by doing that and wasn't 100% sure that the system would read off just a normal flash drive. Sounding like that's the best option though. Does the car have any on-board memory where I could rip and then have it save the music onto the car itself and forego the flash drive entirely in the long run ? Any other limitations in regards to plugging in through the USB that I should be concerned about ?

Long term, I think ditching the CD player makes sense- I drive a vibe and the one in there is annoying at times, it's just that my parent's haven't caught up to technology yet.

Thank you for all the help!

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,884 Posts
The flash drive is a great route. Even with the CD player, we have a 64GB flash drive in the '14 CTD that has all of our music. And I have one that I keep with me for my Volt, too, as it does not have a CD player.

My wife does use CDs, so both get use in her car. The flash drive, especially with the current generation of MyLink works even better in the Volt.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Not just chevy. EVERYONE dropped the cd player YEARS ago.

These days you're left with some sort of mp3 player. Either a actual device or a thumbdrive. And either plugging in to usb, aux, or bluetooth. I use my phone. I see no need for a player wether it be mp3 or apple.All

my music is stored on computer and trasnfered to phone. Usually the sd card if the phone has that option.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Interesting, my ‘14 CTD has a CD player. I never use it (iPhone/iTunes works fine).

Since OP’s parents want a CD player, I was just curious if OP had the option to swap for a Gen 2 Cruze radio w/CD player but sounds like the answer is no.

Well @MacombCountyKarl looks like it’s time to teach the old dogs new tricks (not calling your parents dogs, just a sayin’). It CAN happen, heck I’m 59 and dumped CDs long ago.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Interesting, my ‘14 CTD has a CD player. I never use it (iPhone/iTunes works fine).

Since OP’s parents want a CD player, I was just curious if OP had the option to swap for a Gen 2 Cruze radio w/CD player but sounds like the answer is no.

Well @MacombCountyKarl looks like it’s time to teach the old dogs new tricks (not calling your parents dogs, just a sayin’). It CAN happen, heck I’m 59 and dumped CDs long ago.
My aunt's 14 traverse has no cd. Not sure if my uncle's 10 dodge truck has anything. I can't recall if my 12 cruze had a hole or not.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Can someone help the original poster with where the USB port is for the GEN2 Cruze? If this is a GEN1 Cruze the USB is in the arm rest. Depending on the age of your USB drive, you need something low profile to install the stick and close the arm rest.

Not the end of the world, as the files once ripped can be moved to any USB, but if the original poster is looking for a USB stick to buy, I'd make sure it's one of the shorter profile ones.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I was hoping no one would suggest an iPod.
I thought about it, but the only ones that Apple is still selling is the Touch, but you might find some new old stock for sale somewhere.
wasn't 100% sure that the system would read off just a normal flash drive. Sounding like that's the best option though.
I'm not sure about the Gen2, but the Gen1 was a bit picky about the USB. It would work, but would frequently fail requiring you to remove and re-insert or restart the car. The Sandisk Cruser is a make/model that was reliable in the Gen1. It is a bit big, but since the Gen1 had it inside the arm rest compartment, that wasn't an issue. As far as I can tell, the Gen2 USB port is in the same place.Protip: Use a program called MP3Tag to help label and add artwork to each individual file. I think once your parents see how they can set shuffle play across the entire collection and all the display features, they'll be happy to leave their collections of CDs at home.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Can someone help the original poster with where the USB port is for the GEN2 Cruze? If this is a GEN1 Cruze the USB is in the arm rest. Depending on the age of your USB drive, you need something low profile to install the stick and close the arm rest.

Not the end of the world, as the files once ripped can be moved to any USB, but if the original poster is looking for a USB stick to buy, I'd make sure it's one of the shorter profile ones.
Center console directly under the HVAC controls under a little flap.

TBH, I thought I'd be mad about CD players disappearing, but I used the one in my '12 Cruze maybe 5 times in the 4 years I owned it. With USB/Aux connections, I really found it wasn't necessary anymore.

Now, getting rid of HEADPHONE jacks on phones...this is stupid "progress."

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,884 Posts
Agreed, because it's not like you suddenly don't need headphones anymore. You have to add on some bulky-ass adapter to them use what you could have just plugged in directly if there was a jack...

Reactions: Merc6 and Rivergoer

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts

Well I'm 59 as well and I have never sent a Text, how bout' that? I'm using a combination of USB & CDs. I used to work in Radio and I now hate Radio. To the OP, why not get them XM for the Holiday!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Center console directly under the HVAC controls under a little flap.

TBH, I thought I'd be mad about CD players disappearing, but I used the one in my '12 Cruze maybe 5 times in the 4 years I owned it. With USB/Aux connections, I really found it wasn't necessary anymore.

I don't think i've listened to any cd's in the 21st century.

I started my digital music with napster. And mostly haven't really had a radio since they all keep getting stolen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The XM idea is a pretty good one! I'll have to think about that- I did that for my sister a few years ago when she had her dart (which, had the CD player in the arm rest/center console)

Thank you guys for all the advice-sounds like a sand disk cruzer (to be safe) is going to be the way to go along with that MP3Tag program.

I'm kind of mixed on CD players going away in cars- I go to quite a few concerts and kind of miss taking that CD I just bought from an opening band I'd never heard before and then rocking out too it on the way home. That said, CD's are a bit of a pain getting scratched, dirty, and sometimes stolen, so it's for the better in the long run (along with the occasional skipping when you hit a crater sized pot hole)

Very much appreciate all of the help on this forum! I like the Cruze as a car (and after the vibe eventually goes, that diesel with a manual is tempting) and as an avid motorcyclist I really appreciate when there's a good group of owners coming together to support one another.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
The Cruze has an Aux port if they really want a CD player. I'm not sure you can buy a portable player anymore. Maybe on eBay. But, then they have to deal with batteries or charging cables and skipping CDs.

Once they learn to use the MP3s, they probably won't ever switch back. But, they might be hesitant at first. Tell them it's like having a tiny CD changer with all their music on it. LOL.

You can download the Owner's Manual for their car from the Chevy website. There are probably also some YouTube videos that you could let them watch to learn how to browse songs, etc.

High quality MP3s sound just as good as CDs and much better than the radio, and a million times better than XM.

Reactions: Merc6
1 - 20 of 27 Posts