1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CEL came on today with the following codes:

P0403: EGR flow malfunction
P0406: EGR flow sensor A high input
P24A5: (definition unfound), Google search reveals this to be EGR cooler bypass bank 1 control stuck

Any expert opinions of what is happening here?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
CEL came on today with the following codes:

P0403: EGR flow malfunction
P0406: EGR flow sensor A high input
P24A5: (definition unfound), Google search reveals this to be EGR cooler bypass bank 1 control stuck

Any expert opinions of what is happening here?
Could this be directly or indirectly related to your unplugging of the EGR Valve you discussed in another thread?
Did you ever delete the codes after you plugged it back in?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could this be directly or indirectly related to your unplugging of the EGR Valve you discussed in another thread?
Did you ever delete the codes after you plugged it back in?
I have no idea. When I unplugged the EGR it was a few weeks ago and I immediately plugged it back in when I saw it was going to be a "hard" code that would eventually limit the speed of the vehicle. After enough restarts the CEL went away on its own.

Yesterday was the CEL showing up for nothing that I actively did, and those are the codes I pulled and then reset.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Was the engine turned off when you unplugged the EGR?
Did the codes come back since clearing them the other day?

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
I'm not sure I caught whether the light has come on again or not?

Did you CLEAR the DTCs last time you scanned it and these are new?

Or did the the CEL just go off and you never scanned it?

DTCs can stay stored long after the light extinguishes. This is normal

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was the engine turned off when you unplugged the EGR?
Yes. I unplugged the EGR on a cold engine and immediately when starting it threw a CEL and a warning message about "service emissions system" and gave me the start of a 75 mile countdown until speed limiting. I turned the car off, plugged the EGR back in, and started it again. The CEL stayed on for a few more starts and then went away on its own.

Did the codes come back since clearing them the other day?
The CEL has not illuminated today. I don't know about codes as I don't have a code reader at home.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you CLEAR the DTCs last time you scanned it and these are new?
I never scanned or cleared anything when I did the EGR disconnect experiment. I was just driving home from visiting a winery and the CEL came on. Checking the codes then gave me the three listed above (four, actually; the last two were duplicates).

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Yes. I unplugged the EGR on a cold engine and immediately when starting it threw a CEL and a warning message about "service emissions system" and gave me the start of a 75 mile countdown until speed limiting. I turned the car off, plugged the EGR back in, and started it again. The CEL stayed on for a few more starts and then went away on its own.

The CEL has not illuminated today. I don't know about codes as I don't have a code reader at home.
If it's off now I guess let it be since you don't have a scan tool to check or clear codes.

If it comes back try and get a hold of a tool that can clear the codes.

If they come back after that it may be a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's off now I guess let it be since you don't have a scan tool to check or clear codes.

If it comes back try and get a hold of a tool that can clear the codes.
To be clear: When the CEL came on yesterday I did use a scan tool to pull the codes and to clear them. That's how I posted the codes at the top of the thread.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
To be clear: When the CEL came on yesterday I did use a scan tool to pull the codes and to clear them. That's how I posted the codes at the top of the thread.
I wouldn't worry then unless they come back, then take it to the dealer if still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Maybe something came undone?
That's what I'm wondering. When you get that many codes, and they all pertain to the same thing, EGR, then that's the first place to look. Is the connector plugged in? Is there a wire pulled out of it? Is the harness damaged, as might occur if it inadvertently got re-routed near a hot spot?

Doug

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only thing I unplugged during my experiment was the connector the EGR actuator. After the CEL and speed limiter warning showed on the display, I shut the engine off and plugged the connector back in. It snapped right into place so it's not possible that it came undone due to there being a positive latching mechanism.

My guess is one of the three codes that I pulled only came up recently on the day the CEL illuminated, as a random malfunction. Once I reset the codes all is doing fine so far.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CEL came on today on my way home from work. Code P2457 displayed: EGR cooling system performance. Looks like this code shows up when the temperature of EGR through the cooler is higher than expected.

Dealership will have the car tomorrow afternoon to check it over, and I told them about the prior codes from the 4th.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Car was at dealership yesterday afternoon. After about two hours the service writer calls me back to say the initial technician looking at it was not aware it was a diesel. The diesel trained technician was swamped with work and couldn't look at it that day. The service manager agreed to reset the codes and give me the car back and we'll see if it holds on without any more errors. I'll be leaving to drive to Seattle next week so I'll have a long distance trip to see what other problems show up.

·
Registered
528 Posts
So you are leaving from Illinois to Seattle and back with a potentially speed limiting DTC? Keep that code reader hooked up LOL and good luck!

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you are leaving from Illinois to Seattle and back with a potentially speed limiting DTC? Keep that code reader hooked up LOL and good luck!
The speed limiting code only occurred when I physically unplugged the EGR actuator valve as an experiment. It did exactly what I expected. The subsequent CELs have not had speed limiting issues; just a "soft" CEL on the dash that I'm willing to ignore.

And yes, I'm leaving Illinois for Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Craters Of The Moon, Crater Lake, Mt St Helens, and then Seattle.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The speed limiting code only occurred when I physically unplugged the EGR actuator valve as an experiment. It did exactly what I expected. The subsequent CELs have not had speed limiting issues; just a "soft" CEL on the dash that I'm willing to ignore.

And yes, I'm leaving Illinois for Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Craters Of The Moon, Crater Lake, Mt St Helens, and then Seattle.
Nice!

I am heading to Seattle tomorrow on a road trip as well.

Hope the drive goes well and without issue.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Beautiful country, enjoy.

Keep us posted on how the Cruze does.

Reactions: MRO1791
1 - 20 of 36 Posts