Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to replace my front brakes, which have recently begun pulsating, and wanted to create some discussion around this since I'm sure many people will be in my position soon if they aren't already. Here's what I bought.

Two Centric premium rotors. Part number 120.62130. (Available on Amazon.com)
CENTRIC PREMIUM BRAKE ROTORS - Centric Parts

Centric Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic brake pads. Part number 106.15220. (Available on Amazon.com)
BRAKE FRICTION - Centric Parts

You'll notice I chose semi-metallic pads instead of the OE ceramic pads, and some will point out that semi-metallic pads tend to dust a bit more. These semi-metallic pads are not all that dirty, but I'll provide an overview of why I made the decision to move away from ceramic pads.

1. Rotor wear. Rotors don't "warp," they wear unevenly or they transfer pad material to the rotor that causes the pulsation. Because Ceramic pads are more durable, something has to wear down in order for you to be able to stop. Ceramic pads wear rotors more quickly. I have no doubt that the combination of poor OE quality rotors that wore unevenly and ceramic pads that accelerated the rotor wear contributed to the pulsating I have currently.

2. Braking power. Semi-metallic pads, as a whole, offer far better braking performance than ceramic pads do.

3. Cost. Semi-Metallic pads are cheaper than Ceramic pads. They are also cheaper and easier to replace than rotors are.

4. Brake fade. Ceramic pads fade 200-240 degrees (F) sooner than semi-metallic pads do.

The combination of the G3500 rotors above (which are a harder steel than the G3000 rotors that likely came from the factory) and the semi-metallic pads should significantly improve my braking performance and front brake system longevity. The kit was around $150 shipped. If you need to replace the front brakes on your Cruze, I would recommend considering this option as an upgrade the OEM brakes.

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Xtreme, what about the rear brakes?
I have drums on the rear and they seem to be in good shape. If those bother me, I will probably either replace them or have them turned. There's really no sense in spending good money on rear brakes when they only do like 15-20% of the braking.

·
Registered
443 Posts
So if I have discs in the rear I still shouldn't really worry about it?

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where did you buy them from? They don't sell directly. So which supplier?
I snagged the last two rotors off Amazon and the brake pads off Amazon as well. I'll have to ask Jerry to see if he can get them on his website for order.

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I changed my brakes today, and validated the reason why I chose semi-metallic pads. After 50k miles, the ceramic pads had just over 1/2 of their pad life left.

Compare new vs old:

During that 50k miles, the rotor wore pretty severely. Take a look at the ridge left on the outside and inside of the pad contact area to see just how much brake rotor material was worn down by the OE pads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My front rotors are also warped at 52k and have been looking around at whats available. Were do you see these being g3500? Everywhere I look says g3000

EDIT: NVM I see this is the 120 series not 121 they are 3500 Will be ordering once I can find them

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured I would provide an update here. I've had some time to use this kit. Replacing the rotors entirely eliminated all pulsation I had in my brakes. I suspected some was in the rear, but I was happy to find out that my suspicion was incorrect. That was a pleasant surprise. Looks like our rear drums will last a very long time.

On to the performance. Initial impression was that there is less initial "bite" with these pads. I decided not to jump the gun and to give them a bit more time. After a few hundred miles, the pads and rotors wore in a bit better, and I'm happy to report that the initial "bite" of the pads is the same or better than the OEM ceramics. The pads are indeed very quiet, and emergency stopping is better than the OE ceramic pads. I'm very happy with the results so far, and would confidently recommend these to anyone looking for an upgrade. I've made this thread a sticky so others can refer to it when the time comes to replace their brakes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
.....I just got to the point of "I don't need to do anything more to the car" and then you come along with your brake upgrade that I now must do. My wife will probably ban me from this site now.....

But seriously, thanks for all the info!

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that you have had some time with them, how does the amount of brake dust compare to the OEM ceramic pads?
To be honest, I still haven't noticed much in the way of brake dust yet. I'll have to give that a bit more time though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I went with the powerslot brakes and rotors. I agree these don't need very very high brakes my braking is almost really hard to put down. I'd go semi mettillac next time

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm new to the Cruzetalk forums but have been perusing these forums for the better part of 2 years since owning my 2013 2LT Cruze.

To start, Xtreme, I just want to say that your How-To on replacing front pads and rotors was very helpful. I've done front pads and rotors on other cars before but being the first time with the Cruze it was nice to refer back to a nice write up. My Cruze, with 86,000 miles on it also developed pulsation in the brake pedal and I knew it was time for new brakes. I ordered the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads and standard rotors from Raybestos. Probably a little overkill on the pads but never using Hawk pads before wanted to give them a shot. So far the braking performance has been great and have a nice/firm pedal feel under braking.

My problem lies with my pads rattling (right and left side). I've replaced the anit-rattle shims twice with two different kits. One kit from Raybestos and the other kit was Brake Best (O'Reillys Auto Parts brand). The rattle improved with the O'Reillys kit but its still there and only occurs if I hit a sharp bump softer bumps produce no rattle. I have contacted Hawk to confirm that I have the correct pads and contacted Raybestos to confirm I have the correct rotor size. I'm running out of ideas as to what maybe causing my brake rattle. I'm hoping that someone can give me an idea or point me in a direction. Thank you for your time reading this.

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I
Hello everyone. I'm new to the Cruzetalk forums but have been perusing these forums for the better part of 2 years since owning my 2013 2LT Cruze.

To start, Xtreme, I just want to say that your How-To on replacing front pads and rotors was very helpful. I've done front pads and rotors on other cars before but being the first time with the Cruze it was nice to refer back to a nice write up. My Cruze, with 86,000 miles on it also developed pulsation in the brake pedal and I knew it was time for new brakes. I ordered the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads and standard rotors from Raybestos. Probably a little overkill on the pads but never using Hawk pads before wanted to give them a shot. So far the braking performance has been great and have a nice/firm pedal feel under braking.

My problem lies with my pads rattling (right and left side). I've replaced the anit-rattle shims twice with two different kits. One kit from Raybestos and the other kit was Brake Best (O'Reillys Auto Parts brand). The rattle improved with the O'Reillys kit but its still there and only occurs if I hit a sharp bump softer bumps produce no rattle. I have contacted Hawk to confirm that I have the correct pads and contacted Raybestos to confirm I have the correct rotor size. I'm running out of ideas as to what maybe causing my brake rattle. I'm hoping that someone can give me an idea or point me in a direction. Thank you for your time reading this.
Hawk HPS are more of a performance pad if I'm not mistaken and are generally more noisy. I would assume at this point that the pad is the culprit as nobody else is reporting your issue.

The only other possible problem would be the slide boots on the caliper. Those occasionally need replacing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I

Hawk HPS are more of a performance pad if I'm not mistaken and are generally more noisy. I would assume at this point that the pad is the culprit as nobody else is reporting your issue.

The only other possible problem would be the slide boots on the caliper. Those occasionally need replacing.

Sorry I didn't reply back sooner. Yeah the HPS 5.0 pads are more of a performance pad, just didn't figure they would make that much noise but I agree, I think its just a characteristic of these pads. I'm fine with that know that. Thanks for the tip on the slide boots. I haven't had time to change them out but should this weekend. I wouldn't have thought that those could make a difference but will give it a shot. After another week with the pads I haven't noticed anything weird while braking, so we'll see how they do long term.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
may I also add from my experience that semi metallic bite harder in cold range of operation temps vs ceramics that like to bite hard when warm. for a daily I always go semi metallic, on my sports cars, and motorcycles

1 - 20 of 60 Posts