Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I believe GM in their infinite wisdom (or lack thereof) doesn't want to compete with the Focus RS, or Civic Type-R head to head, and simply assume that EVERYONE that purchases a Cruze is doing so for the high fuel mileage and has no desire to have something more sporty. Heaven forbid they even THINK about putting the 200hp 1.6T found in the Buick Cascada or the 250hp 2.0T used in the Malibu! That's way too much power for all the hyper fuelie minded Cruze driving people to handle.
:biglaugha:

It's ironic that they'd make a car (when the LTZ first came out) that could out-handle a BMW 3-series on a road course, yet never give owners an engine/transmission combination that would push the car even further to actually compete with other Cruze class cars that offer performance versions. Guess they want you to spend more on a Malibu, or go buy a competitor's vehicle. Dodge sold a lot of Darts with the 2.0 that was no faster than the 1.4 in the Cruze ... but people saw that 2.0 and thought it would be faster.

In short, I'm 99.9% certain that GM America has NO "speed improving" performance parts for any generation of Cruze (although the exhaust is advertised to give 10 ponies and 15 lb/ft) ... but here's a link to what they do offer:
https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/cruze/aero

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Is there any performance parts that are gm approved for the 2015 Chevy cruze? Just curious? Any suggestions?
There were a few Chevrolet Performance Parts. Exhaust, brakes and suspension. IIRC.

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
They should have came out with an SS version, like they were hinting at, with the 2.0 turbo from the Regal beefed up a little more. I actually wish GM would have made a US version of their Vauxhall Corsa VXR sold in Europe. After they fixed the #4 piston issue. :D Thats a nice looking and fairly fast little car.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think the tranny would kill the HP. Let me have one of those for my RS and see what we could do LOL and a spin on oil filter also haven't seen one of those in a while except on wife's Accord.
Probably would need the transmission from a Verano or Regal to match the engine.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Most likely, due to C.A.F.E. standards, GM opted to keep the Cruze lineup as a highly efficient model to make up for their lower mpg offerings that drag the corporate averages down. Most likely, they know that people are more willing to go for performance right now while fuel prices are cheap, and that would throw off their numbers because they'd probably sell more of the performance versions. Maybe instead of an SS model, they could resurrect the old Beretta performance model ... the GTU! Or maybe pay homage to Pontiac and make the Cruze GTP. Fun to dream isn't it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'll say what no one else will. They needed to distance themselves from the Cobalt (SS, Sport SS/SC SS/TC). I have a Cobalt. I can say it. Plastic fantastic interior. Ignition switch recall. Successor to the C***lier. No one at GM wants people to remember those.

Then there isn't much of us left. Now it is all small / midsize CUV / SUV. Spend R&D money on that.

And 2017 was peak auto sales year. It's likely 2018 won't exceed it. It's time to tighten the belt and increase margin without spending too much money for it.

Otherwise spend the money on developing trucks. What's going on with all the new diesels in half tons?

Would it be nice to have a 2 door Cruze? Maybe.
Would a Cruze SS that smokes a Focus RS be nice? Heck yeah. Except the oops on the wrong headgasket install.

Even the Cobalt had a less than 3% take rate on the hot engines.

Could we confuse people more and replace Cruze SS with Super Cruze?

300+ HP Cruze could eat into Camaro sales.

Did anyone see the Holden SS? I mean Chevy SS. They had to lose money on all of those. V8, RWD, Sedan. 3 pedal. There won't be another one for a while.

People say they want these but don't spend the $$$.

Look at the FT86 / BRZ sales.

8 different Silverado models for 2018? Yes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The late Cobalt SS with the LNF was a monster, that car stock vs stock would beat a mustang from that era in the 1/4 mile. it really is a shame the cruze didnt get a performance model, or a better looking body kit, holden's cruze looks quite a bit better in my opinion. and the 2.0t should fit the cruze no problem, if im not mistaken the verano had those engines and they share a platform if im not mistaken again.

·
Registered
230 Posts
From Wkipedia:
Production vehicles based on Delta II platform:

Second Generation Cruze is the D2XX platform, which replaces the Delta II

I suppose it would be possible to swap drivetrains between similar cars sharing the same platform, but would have to look at possibly needing custom engine/transmission mounts. I do know that many of the models share at least the same engine.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Let's not forget the better looking car from the Cavalier/Cobalt days ... the Saturn Ion Redline. Looked better than both other cars, and man was it quick!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts