Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... just hit 100,000 this morning goin to work. Car now says to replace the timing belt which I have figured out is hella expensive.
How serious is this? N do I have like a month or w to save up? Just had a kid n things r tight.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Well. If it breaks. You'll be stranded and need to be towed which will add to the cost.

It's just a message. 100k is pretty standard life for a timing belt.

If you rack up the miles fast. You should be able to get a few more out of it. If the car sits around. My pinto was a drivers ed car. I think it was 13 years old with around 10k miles when it broke.

Someone on here claims it's not an interference motor. So, if it breaks, you don't have to worry about valves in the piston.

·
Registered
609 Posts
So... just hit 100,000 this morning goin to work. Car now says to replace the timing belt which I have figured out is hella expensive.
How serious is this? N do I have like a month or w to save up? Just had a kid n things r tight.
What year and engine do you have?

I recently replaced the belt on my 2013 LS 1.8. I purchased a timing belt tool kit on eBay for about $22, and got the parts kit from Rockauto for about $120. And replaced a few other bolts (required) for another ~20 bucks. Took me an afternoon in the driveway to replace it.

I think most of the Cruze engines are interference engines which means it will destroy itself should the timing belt break. So replacing the belt is scheduled maintenance you want to attend to as soon as possible.

I'd say waiting a month is probably OK. In the mean time, you might shop around for a place to get it done.

Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there,

Im in the same boat, just hit over 100,000 miles on my 2012 LS 1.8L. Im told my water pump is leaking and that should be done as well. Do I just need to purchase the Timing Belt, Water Pump & Component Kit from Rock Auto? Here is what I was going to purchase. I don't see any bolts that you say are required.

More Information for ACDELCO TCKWP338

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi there,

Im in the same boat, just hit over 100,000 miles on my 2012 LS 1.8L. Im told my water pump is leaking and that should be done as well. Do I just need to purchase the Timing Belt, Water Pump & Component Kit from Rock Auto? Here is what I was going to purchase. I don't see any bolts that you say are required.

More Information for ACDELCO TCKWP338
ACDELCO TCKWP338: This kit includes the water pump, which suits your needs in this case.

The kit I got, TCK338, included one of the three bolts necessary (GM p/n 55570291, for attaching the tensioner). But, looking at the Rockauto website, I cannot tell if the TCKWP338 includes any bolts.

Per the manual, the other two bolts which I replaced are:

o 24447224 / Crankshaft Pulley Bolt
o 55570291 / idler pulley (same as above)

I did not replace any of the bolts on the motor mount. The ones I removed were not specified to be replaced, altho some of the motor mount bolts are. See this post for a drawing with more info: How-To: Timing Belt 1.8L and 1.6L

HTH.

Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts