Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just changed the battery in my generation 2 2016 Chevy Cruze key fob, the one for push button start but now the key fob isn't working. I can't get into the vehicle or do anything with the key fob itself. Do I need to reprogram the key fob once I've replaced the battery? Or did i more than likely damage the circuitry when opening the device? What can I do to regain access to my car? I have no idea how to start it without working keyfob, but I can get access inside with the metal key attached to the key fob. Please can anyone help?

·
Registered
854 Posts
I would be surprised if it needed to be re-programmed for a battery change. There should be a section in the owner's manual on how to program a new key fob for the car. You can try that and see if it works. Are you sure the battery is in with the correct polarity?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Nothing in the owner's manual for the transmitter battery replacement indicates a need to reprogram. There is a note to be careful when replacing the battery in the remote to prevent any static to the circuit board. The re-program is unlikely to work, since it appears damage happened with the battery change. Do you have the RKE or the keyed ignition fob?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I did not have to reprogram mine after. I did 4 of these, 2 for push button, and 2 for a keyed ignition and they all function.

Make sure the battery was installed in the correct orientation.

Do the unlock, panic, or trunk buttons work?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would be surprised if it needed to be re-programmed for a battery change. There should be a section in the owner's manual on how to program a new key fob for the car. You can try that and see if it works. Are you sure the battery is in with the correct polarity?
I tried both directions and still nothing. I think the circuit board has been damaged because I didn't include in my original message that the green circuit board fell out when I opened the key fob. It fell on the floor but nothing was broken on it but I suspect it has been damaged. So I'm clueless as to what to do. I was going to order new key fob online cause although I own the car which was purchase in the USA I live in the Caribbean. But if I buy new key fob from online and follow the instructions on how to program it which I understand the method, would that work or would I still need to have the original key fob working for those new key fobs to be able to sync with the car?
IMG_20200209_114555890.jpg
IMG_20200209_115306285.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing in the owner's manual for the transmitter battery replacement indicates a need to reprogram. There is a note to be careful when replacing the battery in the remote to prevent any static to the circuit board. The re-program is unlikely to work, since it appears damage happened with the battery change. Do you have the RKE or the keyed ignition fob?
This is the key fob in the attachment
IMG_20200209_114555890.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not have to reprogram mine after. I did 4 of these, 2 for push button, and 2 for a keyed ignition and they all function.

Make sure the battery was installed in the correct orientation.

Do the unlock, panic, or trunk buttons work?
No, none of the buttons work and I tried various polarities. My gutt feeling is that I damaged the circuit board because it fell out when I opened the key fob. And that's the only one I have. So I'm wondering how I can get a replacement. I do not live in America but the car was purchased in America and shipped to me in the Caribbean. I love the car but I currently can't drive it because the key fob will not work and it's costing me a fortune as I have to use a rental car till I get it sorted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You will need one working fob / key to program any new ones. I think the only other option is to tow it to the dealership.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I figured out how to start the car without the key fob working or dead. So I'm going to go online and order new key fobs and see if they work when I follow programing instructions. Will update you all.

·
Registered
854 Posts
There is a longer process to program a key if you do not have the original, it takes at least 30 minutes, basically it is intentionally slow to make it a non-viable option for a car thief, it's not available in some markets due to regulations, but it should be on yours if it was US car. If you do not have the owners manual, you can download it from GM for free, it has the proceedure to program your new key when you get it.

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brilliant!! Thank you so much.
There is a longer process to program a key if you do not have the original, it takes at least 30 minutes, basically it is intentionally slow to make it a non-viable option for a car thief, it's not available in some markets due to regulations, but it should be on yours if it was US car. If you do not have the owners manual, you can download it from GM for free, it has the proceedure to program your new key when you get it.
Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts