Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed oil from Mobil1 ESP 5w-30 to Castrol Edge Euro 5w-30 02209366, 06669, I cant believe the change in engine noise.
I was getting a clack (cant really explain it) its completely gone with the Castrol Edge Euro if it comes back I will update this thread.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You might want to be careful running Euro oil in the Cruze. I'm no oil expert, but I believe something with the European additives aren't good for US spec catalytic converters. Hopefully one of the guys that know a lot about oil can chime in and help out. Is this oil Dexos certified by the way? That's an easy way to tell if its safe to use.

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Castrol Edge isn't syntehtic unless they changed recently.

Yes yes yes they put Synthetic on the label. It's a load of ****, it's actaully just hydrocracking.

But it is dexos2 by looks, so it will at least clean well. But I'm not sure about its properties.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Castrol Edge isn't syntehtic unless they changed recently.

Yes yes yes they put Syntehtic on the label. It's a load of ****, it's actaully just hydrocracking.

But it is dexosw by looks, so it will at least clean well. But I'm not sure about its properties.
The new Gas To Liquid Base Stocks (GTL) are HydroCracked as well and they have amazing properties.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
The new Gas To Liquid Base Stocks (GTL) are HydroCracked as well and they have amazing properties.
Amazing in the world of petroleum oils and 20 year old PAOs, sure, but petrochemical esters, and in some cases organic esters, make GTL base oils look weak.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
You might want to be careful running Euro oil in the Cruze. I'm no oil expert, but I believe something with the European additives aren't good for US spec catalytic converters. Hopefully one of the guys that know a lot about oil can chime in and help out. Is this oil Dexos certified by the way? That's an easy way to tell if its safe to use.
This is correct. It's the sulfated ash content in the oil. The oil must meet minimum specification requirements to protect emissions control equipment. Is Castrol edge euro a dwxos2-compliant oil? If not, the OP will need to strongly reconsider their lubricant choice as it could end up costing them in emissions equipment failure.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You'll be fine. They are great oils, hence the controversial synthetic name. But the major difference between the Mobil1 and CE is that Mobil1 is PAO and CE is hydrocracked.
I will have to see how the OCI goes, like I said the engine sounds so much better its very surprising to be honest.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
I will have to see how the OCI goes, like I said the engine sounds so much better its very surprising to be honest.
One of the reasons is because group 3 oils tend to absorb shock more than PAOs do. I've received reports of that many times over the years with some of our oils. It doesn't mean it protects better, simply that it absorbs more and is, in a sense "softer" of a base oil. It's hard to explain. Redline uses a similar approach in their shockproof gear oils.

Again, don't interpret this as one oil doing its job better, or protecting better than another. Furthermore, remember that there are many areas affected by oil that do not show up in an oil analysis.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Interesting. I've had 3 different oils in mine and never noticed any sound differences.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Is it the 5W-30 LL as shown on this page? If so, you're OK. It's a UK site, so the product may be different from what you will find here in North America.

Instead of looking for Dexos 2, look for an indication of ACEA C3 rating. This is the default rating as stated in the owners manual.

You will find more oil has the ACEA C3 rating than Dexos 2.

When I was looking at oil here in Ontario Canada, I didn't find any Castrol product that was Dexos 2 or ACEA C3 rated. This was early spring 2016.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
What were the three Oils?
Thank you.

Just a quick edit.
The Dexos 2 limit for Ash, Sulphated is .8 the Edge has .64 so all is well.
1. The semi-synthetic Dexos2 from the dealer for the first 4 free changes
2. Total Quartz INEO MC3 5W30
3. Amsoil low SAPS European 5W30

I am running the Amsoil now and will continue with that.

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Has anyone tried a 5W40? Curious what the results were. I doubt it'd be much but may have less noise with a thicker coat.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
Has anyone tried a 5W40? Curious what the results were. I doubt it'd be much but may have less noise with a thicker coat.
Someone has. I just can't remeber who.

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
I looked at the europe version (literally same everything) and it asks for 5W40 or 5W30 for normal temps, and 0W30 or 0W40 for cold temps (around -15F).

So engine is tested to use them I would imagine.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1. The semi-synthetic Dexos2 from the dealer for the first 4 free changes
2. Total Quartz INEO MC3 5W30
3. Amsoil low SAPS European 5W30

I am running the Amsoil now and will continue with that.
Which oil gives you the best mileage if there is a difference for you.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts