Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manager at Autozone convinced me that Dexos 1 Gen 2 is same as Dexos 2. I changed the oil and found out Dexos 1 Gen 2 is NOT same as Dexos 2.

I'm deleted, do I have anything to worry about since from my understanding Dexos 2 is mainly to preserve the DPF (which fell off).

Am I taking a big risk if I don't swap to Dexos 2?

·
Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel
30 Posts
Yea, Dexos 2 is meant to be a low ash oil so it wouldn't cause premature DPF failure, which won't affect you anyway, but the additive package for a diesel oil is different than one for a gas engine oil. Will it cause immediate problems? No, but I would probably get it swapped back out as soon as you can. Also, since your filter fell off you don't really have to run Dexos 2, you can run any diesel oil that is the right weight and it will have the proper additives for you. Any API rated CK-4 5w-30 should work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was able to find some Pennzoil Platinum Euro L Dexos2 for Benz and BMW at Wal-Mart of all places. Didn't bother switching out the filter again so I got a slight blend of whatever Dexos 1 was left in the filter.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,216 Posts
Reactions: Renwo

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,372 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion. Pulling the filter is the biggest pain in the ass. You have any tips? I'm going from top behind the alternator.
That's the best way I've found to go about it. Do you still have the drain/gutter in place?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion. Pulling the filter is the biggest pain in the ass. You have any tips? I'm going from top behind the alternator.
i have spill pads from work, puppy pee pads work as well

drain oil
from the top place pad under filter in the control arm, make a bowl

undo filter pull from top, gather up pad pull from top

no mess

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
i have spill pads from work, puppy pee pads work as well

drain oil
from the top place pad under filter in the control arm, make a bowl

undo filter pull from top, gather up pad pull from top

no mess
Since our drain/gutter is sitting in the box I put it in after I grabbed it from off of the aeroshield, after it took out our CV Boot, I bought a form-a-funnel and that worked real well the last time. Was able to shove it up underneath and have it drain out and into the drain pan.

Reactions: boraz

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Yep, I do.
Okay, that should help then, provided you have the vehicle level and not just lifted in the front...cause then it doesn't drain out the hole. :LOL:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've resigned myself to pulling the passenger side wheel for easy-ish access to the oil filter housing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts