Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is there anybody interested in getting aftermarket charge pipes injen said they would if there was more intrest besides me

·
Registered
779 Posts
The stock ones suck, of course there would be a benefit to aftermarket pipes. The real problem is the intercooler location. It is worthless where it's at. GM would have been better off not intercooling it at all. Would have made my life a lot easier installing the ZZP FMIC kit.

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
The stock ones suck, of course there would be a benefit to aftermarket pipes. The real problem is the intercooler location. It is worthless where it's at. GM would have been better off not intercooling it at all. Would have made my life a lot easier installing the ZZP FMIC kit.
On a more serious note, what about them specifically sucks, and what real gains could be expected with new ones?

Part of the reason I'm asking this is because I don't exactly think these would be too difficult to make.

·
Registered
779 Posts
On a more serious note, what about them specifically sucks, and what real gains could be expected with new ones?

Part of the reason I'm asking this is because I don't exactly think these would be too difficult to make.
They aren't difficult to make. You can build your own kit with ebay parts. Problem is, ability to weld a plate designed to fit the maf sensor into the charge pipe. The stock charge pipes are shitty for numerous reasons. They have too many bends which are not mandrel bent, which decreases air flow. Their about 1 3/4 to 2" in diameter, again restricting air flow. Lastly, they look like crap!!! I could have easily saved myself $650 and built one myself with ebay parts. But I have no access to a welder, and no access to fabricating the maf plate for the charge piping. With that said, if Injen did make the pipes, they would probably sell them for about $400 say, and you can get a FMIC from ebay for $150 or less. So the extra $250 ZZP charges is for design and labor fees. I can tell you, since I have installed mine, I see much better MPG. I can't give you an actual number now, I installed it last night and filled up my car today, so I will monitor my MPG. If you wish to see my car in person, I live in Chicago suburbs too(Northwest).

·
Registered
718 Posts

Those who are running more boost with a tune would really get the most benefit out of these. The pipes were not designed for the extra boost pressure.

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
They aren't difficult to make. You can build your own kit with ebay parts. Problem is, ability to weld a plate designed to fit the maf sensor into the charge pipe. The stock charge pipes are shitty for numerous reasons. They have too many bends which are not mandrel bent, which decreases air flow. Their about 1 3/4 to 2" in diameter, again restricting air flow. Lastly, they look like crap!!! I could have easily saved myself $650 and built one myself with ebay parts. But I have no access to a welder, and no access to fabricating the maf plate for the charge piping. With that said, if Injen did make the pipes, they would probably sell them for about $400 say, and you can get a FMIC from ebay for $150 or less. So the extra $250 ZZP charges is for design and labor fees. I can tell you, since I have installed mine, I see much better MPG. I can't give you an actual number now, I installed it last night and filled up my car today, so I will monitor my MPG. If you wish to see my car in person, I live in Chicago suburbs too(Northwest).
Wasn't the MAF sensor in the intake right behind the filter? Are you referring to the IAT sensor?

I'd love to see your car. Problem is, I'm in the south suburbs, and that's a 1.5 hour drive on a good day, lol.

I'll take a look in my engine bay tonight or tomorrow and see what can be done. I have a machine shop nearby that should be able to weld both steel and aluminum.

Regarding the FMIC, I'm still on the fence about that one. Wouldn't installing one require the removal of the grill shutters in the Eco?

Those who are running more boost with a tune would really get the most benefit out of these. The pipes were not designed for the extra boost pressure.
Pressure, or velocity?

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I'd love a FMIC, but won't give up the shutters. If it comes down to extra MPG or extra power, I'll take the MPG and save the money for a car with more power.

Reactions: moregrip

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well is any one else interested I know I am because I have a tune and a cai so it would top me off for a little bit

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I'm not sure I'd trust Injen with making the pipes, it's bad enough there's been problems with their cold air intake not benefiting many. Dont get me wrong, I'd love to see the pipes made! But I think we should be talking to ZZP and getting info on a possible group buy. They MADE the pipes(and intercooler) specifically with the Cruze design in mind. Not just slapping medrel bends together like Injen would.

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
I'm not sure I'd trust Injen with making the pipes, it's bad enough there's been problems with their cold air intake not benefiting many. Dont get me wrong, I'd love to see the pipes made! But I think we should be talking to ZZP and getting info on a possible group buy. They MADE the pipes(and intercooler) specifically with the Cruze design in mind. Not just slapping medrel bends together like Injen would.
This.

Sent from my Bulletproof_Doubleshot using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Well let's all send zzp a email stateing that they should give us a group buy.

Sent from my Droid

·
Registered
335 Posts
Pics?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I do believe the sensor being discussed is the MAP sensor...

Definately interested in this as I don't care for all of the black plastic these car mfgs are putting in the engine bays these days to try to make things "pretty". Some nice silver/polished, maybe - piping i would love in the engine bay (the FMIC wouldnt hurt either).

Still sitting on the fence about making my own kit, so i will be paying attention to this thread and those like it... :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Injen made pipes for the Cobalt SS/TC....never had a problem with them. And I STILL have had NO problems with my Injen CAI

·
Registered
779 Posts
Wasn't the MAF sensor in the intake right behind the filter? Are you referring to the IAT sensor?

I'd love to see your car. Problem is, I'm in the south suburbs, and that's a 1.5 hour drive on a good day, lol.

I'll take a look in my engine bay tonight or tomorrow and see what can be done. I have a machine shop nearby that should be able to weld both steel and aluminum.

Regarding the FMIC, I'm still on the fence about that one. Wouldn't installing one require the removal of the grill shutters in the Eco?

Pressure, or velocity?
I don't have an Eco, so I couldn't answer that question. Limited and Skillz put same kit on their Eco's. I meant MAP sensor not MAF, lol my bad.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have injen cai and have no problem with it people complained about getting water in them y don't they just put the hydro shield on them sure it cost a little extra but it is worth it plus my buddy has a cobalt SS and he has had nothing but trouble out of zzp don't get me wrong I'm not trying to bash them I say we give both company's a chance see which one is better and cheaper

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
I have injen cai and have no problem with it people complained about getting water in them y don't they just put the hydro shield on them sure it cost a little extra but it is worth it plus my buddy has a cobalt SS and he has had nothing but trouble out of zzp don't get me wrong I'm not trying to bash them I say we give both company's a chance see which one is better and cheaper
Injen isn't very liked by a few people because they released an intake that isn't exactly a direct bolt-on. The pipe diameter is a little larger than it should be, which threw off the MAF tuning. The ZZP intake will do this too, but at least they're upfront about it and tell you flat out that you'll lean out your motor until you get a tune.

The issue with their intake I believe is the stock MAF sensor is integrated. Long story short, it throws off the calibration. More thought and testing could have gone into that bit.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Having problems in interpreting exactly what you guys want to accomplish. Have an idea you are talking about the air flow circuit between the air cleaner and the throttle body using lower resistive tubing than the plastic used in the 1.4 L turbo engine.

When discussing a modification, normal to specify which engine one is talking about. If we are talking about the air circuit in the 1.4L turbo, starts from the air intake a 90* bend first off to its outlet, then is routed to the intake of the turbo, then straight down and around to the right lower side of the radiator, through the intercooler to the left, then upwards and over finally to the intake of throttle body.

Just quickly counted about 10 1/2 90* bends. In air flow circuits an elbow is roughly equivalent to about 30 feet of the same straight pipe. Namely an elbow is the major culprit of restriction.

If you really want to improve airflow, what needs to be done more than anything, is to get rid of those elbows. Good luck with that.

If you want to see polished aluminum tubing, take a look at an 88 Toyota Surpa turbo, that was a 33,000 buck car back then. With the kind of inflation we have, a new Cruze like it is would have sold for 8-9,000 bucks. But that tubing does have a set back, all of it has to be removed just to change the spark plugs. Its a five minute job to replace the plugs in the Cruze, so that is another trade off.

Still managing to get 138 HP out of an 86 cube engine, really isn't that bad. MAF is the output of the air cleaner, intake air temperature with the MAF determines the amount of air entering the engine for open loop operation, also when accelerating or decelerating. Do have a range for production tolerance in a so called learn mode. But more than likely will be far off with any modifications. Part of the emission control devices mandated by the EPA. Just another consideration when making changes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I talked to zzp and they have charge pipes already you just have to buy the intercooler kit

1 - 20 of 67 Posts