Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well, it only took a few weeks for the cheap ebay LEDs for my plate lights to flicker, and recently die altogether. those cheapies work good for the bulbs you dont use much, but not for extended use.
so i got some of the 56 lumen ones from diode dynamics. they came super fast in the mail even with other stuff getting delayed due to weather. they arent too expensive if you do the math on how many cheap ebay ones you would have to replace to make up for the single decently made ones from 'murica.

so then theres this guy, this little a-hole left license plate bulb. with his little stubby wiring, he makes me want to pull him right out of the trunk and cause an extensive repair. i saw it coming, tho, and decided against a repeat of the last time when i struggled for an hour with my fat fingers, and with the DD replacements, they will hopefully last a lot longer.
i figure this might help someone who had the same problem, i dont know if all model years have this same short wiring, but mine was definitely cut a bit short.

pic 1.JPG

if you twist the left side down towards the right, you can barely get it to come out of the hole, and the wiring feels very tight. like 'you know you wanna rip me out tight'.

pic2.JPG make the right side clear the hole and twist that guy.
pic3.JPG this is about as far as the wiring allows you to pull.

once you get it to this point, you will see the connector has flat sides, and so is the inside of the hole where the bulb holder goes. use your fingers to hold the connector to the trunk, and twist the bulb holder.

pic4.JPG

at this point the bulb holder comes off, and you can replace that crappy led from china. pop the good diode dynamic versions in, and hold the connector flat against the hole while you twist the holder back on (i think it was left for off, right for on).

pic5.JPG

last step is to stand back and wonder why you bothered ordering those crappy leds...

pic6.JPG with flash, and the pic actually caught the bulb mid-blink
pic7.JPG no flash, and you can see how crappy and dim the lights become when they all start burning out, and the nice clean diffused light of the DD on the left.

in case anyone out there is wondering, the right side of the license plate bulb was obviously the good kid of the family, because there is like 10 feet of wiring stuffed up in there, which makes it super easy to install. :dazed002:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well carID says they are pontoon style bulbs, which i see that diode dynamics doesnt have listed. i havent actually done those yet, i really never open the vanity mirrors... seeing as they eliminated the glove box light for my cruze, i wonder why they bothered with vanity bulbs... anywho the way i see it, those cheap ebay ones are ok for the ones you will rarely use, which the vanity mirror would probably fall under. its probably a 31mm pontoon style bulb which can show up in your mailbox for $3 on the interwebs.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I have to say, your left side plate wiring loom is MUCH shorter than mine. I can pull mine out far enough to get my fingers on the socket. Perhaps a difference in model years?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had read that a few people had the short wires and it could be that they are just fastened differently, like zip tied, or were just short to start with. i dont know but pulling on it fairly hard didnt produce more wiring, so i am not about to try and test it lol

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had trouble with cheap leds too I also sanded down the left side of the license plate bulb houseing on the chrome to allow me to rotated it to have it shine directly on the license plate instead of off to the left so now both leds are aimed directly to the middle of the plate instead of having one shine off to the side

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have to say, your left side plate wiring loom is MUCH shorter than mine. I can pull mine out far enough to get my fingers on the socket. Perhaps a difference in model years?
Mine was like that too till I cut back some of the black heat shrink tubing might help you out a bit

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Your bulbs probably weren't bad. When I replaced mine I noticed that if I jiggled the left side socket a little then both lights would go out, but jiggle it again and bam they came back on. I never did get the socket secured in the housing as it was 9 degrees out and my fingers were going numb. I just put it in the hole and screwed the housing back on. Come to think of it I should probably revisit that sometime

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
My license plate LEDs did the same thing, but when I pulled them out it also seemed like there was some rust in there too, so I don't know if somehow water got in or what...

I'm glad I'm running Diode ones on the other lights, but I'll have to pick some up for the LP. Right now I've been running around with no LP lights :X

Sent with iLove 6.0

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your bulbs probably weren't bad. When I replaced mine I noticed that if I jiggled the left side socket a little then both lights would go out, but jiggle it again and bam they came back on. I never did get the socket secured in the housing as it was 9 degrees out and my fingers were going numb. I just put it in the hole and screwed the housing back on. Come to think of it I should probably revisit that sometime

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
They were most definetly bad. They had 5 leds and only one or two of the LEDs would light up. At first those smd would blink and flicker, the connection was fine but the cheap parts aren't made for 50 minute commutes and get hot until they burn out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My license plate LEDs did the same thing, but when I pulled them out it also seemed like there was some rust in there too, so I don't know if somehow water got in or what...

I'm glad I'm running Diode ones on the other lights, but I'll have to pick some up for the LP. Right now I've been running around with no LP lights :X

Sent with iLove 6.0
If the bulb isn't secured in the holder all the way it probably lets moisture in. I had burned out both this week and don't want to get pulled over at 1am and have a rambunctious cop inspect all my car over a burned out LP bulb lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts