Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's with the paint GM used on the 2014 MY Cruze? I don't know if it's specific to this model, or model year, but I've found out the hard way that even if you just sneeze at the car it will chip or scratch. 58k miles and the hood looks like I've taken it through Baghdad chasing ISIS. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
174 Posts
The paint on my 14 is rife with orange peel and it is scuffed to ****.... with 11k miles.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
First thing I did when I got my '14 used with 63k miles was get a bottle of GM touch up paint. Lots of chips especially on hood and front end. Definitely prone to chipping.

However nothing compared to poor Obermd and the hail damage, geez.

Reactions: starspangled6.0

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How's that touch up paint working for you? I'm thinking about ordering some soon, but I'm terrified of all the little spots contrasting against the original paint.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
First thing I did after taking delivery of my car was to have paint protection film applied to as many surfaces as possible. The second thing I did was install splash guards.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
How's that touch up paint working for you? I'm thinking about ordering some soon, but I'm terrified of all the little spots contrasting against the original paint.
The GM touch-up paint works great, at least to my middle-aged eyes anyway. Much better than the contrast between gray primer or bare metal to the body paint color for sure.

Be sure to get the factory touch-up paint from GM/Chevy, not the aftermarket stuff from an Auto Parts store or online. Can't recall if I used my VIN or the RPO code from the glove box sticker. Maybe someone from Chevy can confirm.

Also, it does have a shelf-life, pretty much dries up in the bottle after about a year or so.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
But getting back to the quality of paint on the 2014 model from a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best its about a 2. First thing I noticed as a new owner, the quality or lack thereof. I will say its not an ugly Car

G.M lowers outlook on 2017 New Car Sales (Click on Mary's Face)

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Mine has orange peel and a few places with paint bubbles where the paint dripped when it was being painted. The paint is very soft. Same thing with the plastic interior. It's is super soft and scratches very easily.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Our wonderful EPA banned all solvent based paints, all water based now. In a vehicle like my 1988 Supra with solvent based paint, can get most of the bugs off with a water hose.

With the Cruze, have to use a clay bar to do the same thing.

Don't blame GM, just send a thank you note to our wonderful EPA. Also great for exporting many of our jobs. Electroplating was also banned, had to ship our parts to Mexico then the China to get them plated. Have over 14,000 container ships that have zero emission controls, but watch out for your Sonic. Also relaxed for aircraft and zero for NASA and the military.

R-12 was banned overnight by Gore in 1994, price for conversion to R-134a was left up to the consumer. R-12 was repairable, R-134a is also throwaway, but this is not the only throwaway a part, that list is getting super long.

In my up to late 70's could rebuilt my fuel pumps for around a buck. This piece of plastic from China for the Cruze Eco is 290 bucks, and have to drop the tank to replace it.

But not the only thing, could rebuild a quad carb for six bucks, fuel injectors are throwaway, and as much as 60 bucks each, don't even look at these for a diesel, for a V-8, this is 500 bucks. Many other components fall into this class.

For us guys, transportation to and from work or school is non-tax deductible, but sure is for billionaires for private jets, 100%.

Never had an EPA that helped us with problems, just fines or exporting it, and don't have to prove their laws are protecting the environment.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Mine has orange peel and a few places with paint bubbles where the paint dripped when it was being painted. The paint is very soft. Same thing with the plastic interior. It's is super soft and scratches very easily.
Speaking of orange peel...this week a fire bomber saved this guy's house and car from the Prescott, AZ fire AND he got a new paint job to boot. Bonus!

Attachments

Reactions: starspangled6.0

·
10,713 Posts
What NickD said, the EPA has and is continuously ruining car paint. The Gen 1 paint was bad but Honda is horrible. 6 months into a brand new car I have at least 20 chips and I got about 9 of them on the lordstown tour. At this rate I'm gonna be painting a hood and blending fenders when the car is gone. I forgot the painted inlays of the wheels also took rock chips.

·
Registered
692 Posts
On my 14, I had to have the driver's rear quarter panel repainted at 10k miles, because the paint was bubbling, but it was covered under warranty, but obviously this is different.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it possible to source a better paint on your own?

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Is it possible to source a better paint on your own?
GM often offers a tricoat paint at an additional charge. Almost always in a pale or white tone. It's expensive but it's also an additional coat of paint - so thicker and presumably more chip resistant.

There are also Special Equipment Option paints available on many of the trucks. I don't have any experience with these paints, but I have the impression that they're more durable than the Regular Production Option paints.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seems preposterous that quality paint would be an additionally charged item.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts