Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I installed the AEM filter for 2017 Cruze.

Everything worked fine for a while, the sound it's amazing.

The problem came later when the "check engine" light started to show up. It's not going away but the car works as usual. I didn't tested it on the road yet.

Did somebody experience the same issue installing the AEM intake?

Attached pictures of the set installed.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,670 Posts
Pretty typical with installing a CAI without a tune. Can throw the MAF readings through a loop.

Not to mention, you won't actually gain any power without a tune, either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty typical with installing a CAI without a tune. Can throw the MAF readings through a loop.

Not to mention, you won't actually gain any power without a tune, either.
I thought some others installed it without tune.

I'm not focused on the gain, but more on the sound.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,670 Posts
It's hit or miss - some have had luck without a tune, others, not so much.

Reactions: Merc6 and amouly

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's hit or miss - some have had luck without a tune, others, not so much.
Yeah that's weird, all these cars should have same configuration.

Anyway my case is special, this car it's assembled on Argentina with the engine from Mexico.

Going to test placing the MAF in other position and test again.

·
10,713 Posts
Was the AEM ID the same as the stock air box? If the ID is off or the sensor is not centered perfectly, the MAF may not be happy. Was there some sort of air straightener in there between filter and maf? Here is an example of what I mean by straightener.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was the AEM ID the same as the stock air box? If the ID is off or the sensor is not centered perfectly, the MAF may not be happy. Was there some sort of air straightener in there between filter and maf? Here is an example of what I mean by straightener.

What you mean with AEM ID? Where I can check that?

I don't see anything between the filter and MAF, there is no mesh or anything.

Btw, thanks for your reply, I didn't receive the notification!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have a us spec cruze hatch which also comes from mexico, installed aem intake as soon as i bought the car without issue.
Cool. Maybe the engines were configured in a different way for Argentina, different ECU mapping. I don't have other explanation why it fails.

·
10,713 Posts
What you mean with AEM ID? Where I can check that? I don't see anything between the filter and MAF, there is no mesh or anything. Btw, thanks for your reply, I didn't receive the notification!
Notifications aren't that great, lol. ID as in inner diameter. If it's larger than stock it's gonna have issues w/o a tune.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Notifications aren't that great, lol. ID as in inner diameter. If it's larger than stock it's gonna have issues w/o a tune.
Now makes sense. I have to check that. I was convinced because the kit worked for other guys here in the forum with the same Mexican engine. I assume the ECU config its different for different countries :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I been investigating the stock filter. Can somebody tell me if it's the same used on US?

I'm curious about the weird "round box" after the MAF. I think its designed to absorbe the intake sound, right? It has holes with different shapes inside.

Other thing I noticed it's the stock filter has a mesh inside, it's part of the filter, but that doesn't exists on the AEM filter.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today I connected an scanner to the car on the OBD port. Found this error which is not recognized by the OBD device:

P16A7 - Unknown Chevrolet code

Does anybody know where I can find details about Chevrolet codes?

Thanks.

·
10,713 Posts
From the looks of that, yes. Noise Vibration and Harshness measure or "silencer" for the air intake. As for code(s) what scanner? My Scan Gauge II didn't work for my car and I ended up just using the red cable Trifecta supplied and EZFlash on my Toughbook to scan codes.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Today I connected an scanner to the car on the OBD port. Found this error which is not recognized by the OBD device:

P16A7 - Unknown Chevrolet code

Does anybody know where I can find details about Chevrolet codes?

Thanks.
Google turns up that code being a MAF sensor code, that it's bad or not working properly in some way. If it was dropped, or the wire thing was touched or contaminated it could be throwing it off.

·
10,713 Posts
Google turns up that code being a MAF sensor code, that it's bad or not working properly in some way. If it was dropped, or the wire thing was touched or contaminated it could be throwing it off.
Maf cleaner w/o touching it (as in don't apply it to a Q Tip or a rag) and hopefully that helps.

Is the AEM dry filter or oiled?

• Washable and reusable oil-free filter media
Guess that answers that....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you guys for your response.

I'm going to check the MAF sensor today, the car its pretty new (7 months and 2500 kilometers) so I hope I didn't break the sensor during installation.

About the scanner, I'm from Argentina, and the car it's assembled here, maybe that's why they can recognize the codes with local scanners.

Attached you can find the scanner result page. Sorry, it's in spanish. Anyway the name of the scanner it's on the top.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts