Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I just recently registered to this site. I own a 2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ that I bought used back in September 2015. Just last year it has been in the shop at least 4 times. The last being in October where the coolant hose busted. Anyway, since that day I thought the car has been running great. That is until this afternoon. I used my remote start to warm up my car considering it has rarely gotten up 0 degrees at night here in Wisconsin for the last couple weeks and my car sits outside all night. I get into my car and put my keys in. A few seconds later it says 'engine power reduced', the service stablitrak popped on the screen and my check engine light was on. Luckily I was still in the driveway and not driving. I restarted it and the 'engine power reduced' light and the service stablitrak disappeared but the CEL light was still on. I restarted it once more now the CEL light is gone and it is running normally. I took a risk and drove it around the block and everything was fine. Like nothing had happened. Might I add when I started it yesterday morning only the CEL light was on but disappeared after I restarted it a couple times and I got to my job fine.

Anyway, is it possible the car is doing this because the engine is so cold from sitting outside during the night? Because it seems it is only doing it when I first start it up. It started fine after work yesterday during the day. I just would like some opinions because I reluctantly might take it in to get it looked at by a mechanic I know and trust (I will NEVER take it to any dealership considering the place I got my car from are nothing but lying scumbags)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
It's fine after work when the temps have warmed up a bit. Only acts up in the morning.

Wait for warmer weather and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Hello everyone. I just recently registered to this site. I own a 2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ that I bought used back in September 2015. Just last year it has been in the shop at least 4 times. The last being in October where the coolant hose busted. Anyway, since that day I thought the car has been running great. That is until this afternoon. I used my remote start to warm up my car considering it has rarely gotten up 0 degrees at night here in Wisconsin for the last couple weeks and my car sits outside all night. I get into my car and put my keys in. A few seconds later it says 'engine power reduced', the service stablitrak popped on the screen and my check engine light was on. Luckily I was still in the driveway and not driving. I restarted it and the 'engine power reduced' light and the service stablitrak disappeared but the CEL light was still on. I restarted it once more now the CEL light is gone and it is running normally. I took a risk and drove it around the block and everything was fine. Like nothing had happened. Might I add when I started it yesterday morning only the CEL light was on but disappeared after I restarted it a couple times and I got to my job fine.

Anyway, is it possible the car is doing this because the engine is so cold from sitting outside during the night? Because it seems it is only doing it when I first start it up. It started fine after work yesterday during the day. I just would like some opinions because I reluctantly might take it in to get it looked at by a mechanic I know and trust (I will NEVER take it to any dealership considering the place I got my car from are nothing but lying scumbags)
Some of those symptoms sound a lot like the Negative Battery Cable issue, do you know if it’s been replaced yet?

More here http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-g...al-coverage-14311-negative-battery-cable.html

It’s possible frozen moisture in the defective cable crimps could be causing inconsistent voltage.

·
Registered
635 Posts

If you are that concerned about it AND have a trustworthy mechanic, it may be worth it for him to hold the vehicle overnight a night you won't need it and try to replicate following morning, did that with wofes Mazda at mechanic and found was the only rel iable way of having the mechanic troubleshoot my cold start concerns

Are there any other sounds, smells, anything you feel like a shaking or intermittently rough idle? my 2011 it's has only ever sent the "ice possible" warning message regardless of how cold it got, but I noticed the idle is crazy rough in winter on winter formula gas.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts