Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Hopefully someone here can give me some answers. So the check engine light came on. Went to Auto zone and Advance auto and both show no codes when they plug in the car. One person stated that sometimes it happens when a fuse is blown that it would not download the codes. No fuse is blown. The car now has power reduce, car shut off warning if driven. Tried getting code read again at different location, unable to find a code. I think last time something like this happened it was the def heater. Mine was already replaced about a year ago. If my warranty is expired now, will that part and time be covered still since it was previously done?

Thanks,
Amy

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
As much as we'd all like.

Replacement parts under warranty don't extend warranty.

I've yet to see it happen anyways.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Generally, GM parts replacing GM parts by a GM dealer have a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty. Def heater has a longer warranty I believe.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The generic OBD 2 scan tools won't always be able to read all codes, though it SHOULD if it is emmissions related, as that is a Government Standard for emmissions compliance... If there is an issue with communications on the CAN bus, no reader will gather codes, but it's clear there is a problem if you are in reduced power. Generally the ODB2 connector port will have only 4-5 actual connected wires, +12V, Ground, signal ground (should be same), then CAN H and CAN L. If you have a bad connector pin, or wire to one of these, a code reader can't connect to the car.

As to the DEF Heater, I do believe that had extended coverage.. I'm trying to log it to verify.

Ok, found it, Special coverage for the DEF Tank heater, 120K miles, 10 years. See the linked .pdf.. if that is your issue, and you are less than 120K miles, you ar covered for repair at no cost.. though I'm not sure what is going on with your inability to read codes, that is a different issue, but until you have the GM guys not able to read codes, I'm not sure it's a real issue. Who knows about the style of reader at the parts store, or the level of training of the people running the scan...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks, I'm going to schedule to take a look at the local dealer. Looking at the link as well. I hate the cost just to see what it reads but hey, everyone needs their money.... lol I'll let ya know.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah, most places like Auto Zone just have skimpy OBDII scanners which are basic servicing. GM specific codes require more advance scan tools. I know O'Reilly's uses a BOSCH scanner which would work on the GM codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So dealer said it was the exhaust temp sensor #1. There might be more problems after that is fixed he said. He said that code won't let the computer diagnose anything else till its fixed 🤦🏼‍♀️. Fingers crossed this is the only thing.

·
Registered
424 Posts
So dealer said it was the exhaust temp sensor #1. There might be more problems after that is fixed he said. He said that code won't let the computer diagnose anything else till its fixed 🤦🏼‍♀️. Fingers crossed this is the only thing.
Well that's not completely true. You can see live data from other sensors. I think what he is trying to say is that the temperature sensor may show "bad" but that may be caused by another issue, not an actual bad sensor. However, they should know that and make sure everything upstream is correct. This is a root cause analysis.

A good example is a O2 sensors. People like replacing them when they get an O2 sensor code, but the code doesn't necessarily mean the sensor is bad it just means what it's reading is outside of the correct range.

Also, make sure they apply the latest ECM updates. The diesels had a few updates a couple years ago that fixes a lot of these sensors going bad in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts