Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Go back to COMG- The Cruze Owner's Maintenance Guide

Couple of days ago I noticed my car starting to idle really high when it was warming up (1500 rpm) before it would go back down. The car has already been in the shop before for a rough idle but was repeatedly told it was "normal". Now the idle is very rough with a pronounced 'miss' its like a cylinder just isn't firing and the car is idling around 600 rpm. The check engine light came on and then the 'service traction control' came on but went off the next time I started it.

I have a video I'm loading onto youtube right now of it. Car has 35k miles and is really starting to tick me off. Will be bringing it to the dealership tom. Any clues to what I'm in for?

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts
600 RPM is low for these cars. The fact that you now have a check engine light might mean the ECU car has finally had enough of working around a problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ours just started the same thing. I'm out of warranty(72K) except for powertrain itself so I'm scanning it at work tomorrow(Napa). If our scanner won't do anything I have a shop I'll have look at it.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
had same issue. my pcv valve was stuck open and the dealer said my maf and tb needed to be cleaned and a relearn had to be done. I had to pay $170 for it (even though i know my maf was clean) but it fixed it. I say vacuum leak.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,594 Posts
Should be covered under warranty (just barely!) but yeah, a vacuum leak is definitely plausible. I think such a big vacuum leak in an engine this small means that the idle control valve can't compensate for it at idle.

I removed the oil cap once on mine and it stalled. The dipstick had it running about like yours.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
I had a simliar issue last week. My malfunction lamp came on at 101,500 miles. I forget the codes it set off po171 and one two others. Also 25 miles down the road my service stabilitrack and traction control lights came on and then went away after turning the car off and on. Anyways I opened the hood and heard an unusual hissing air leak noise as well as some oil around the engine oil filler cap. I was 150 miles away from my dealer so I decided to just drive it home the lamp wasnt flashing. I noticed a rough idle and 300rpm above normal idle. 600rpm is norm for me now it was 900rpm and now it was wanting to stall but after a little throttle was fine. I noticed during low speed cruising it would hesitate for a split second the same feeling I get when my fuel injectors shut off going downhill. Except this was happening randomly.

Finally got it into the dealer and this is what the tech says " 101325 ses light on 2.40 diag found lean code set p0171 due to the pcv valve in valve cover leaking unmetered air into intake replace leaking valve cover and cleared codes road tested no more ses light on at this time thanks."

I plan on calling my service agent and talkin to the tech sometime this week so i can get a little bit better understanding of what he actually replaced because these notes from the tech dont really explain much to somone like me who doesnt have much knowledge about engine terms. I would really like to know if my pcv valve was replaced and if it was causing the issue and WHY. It sounds like he just replaced a seal and cover.

List of parts

5 CPV < --- I think this was labor because it was 2.5 hrs and $ 245
1-55573747 seal
1-55573746 cover
1-3308 cso-3 charges

All total $ 350.00 ouch

What im upset most about is I posted on this form about 2-3 weeks ago about a possible rear main seal leak which turned out to be a leaking oil pan gasket or so I was told. This was repaired underwarranty. At the time people on the forums were telling me have the tech check the pcv valve which I told my service agent about she says her tech checked it and it was working properly or as intended but I have a hard time believing it was checked. Anyways 1500 miles later this malfunction indicator lamp is on with pcv leak and emission codes.

Well today I got my car back after being at the dealer for 2 days waiting for the parts to arrive. The car is fixed and in fact despite having not so great weather I managed 54mpg on the DIC over 350 miles. Normal for spring / summer weather would be 58-59mpg on the DIC over 350 miles and my winter average so far has been around 48mpg. So after the fix I saw an improvement in MPG I will need more miles over the next few days and weeks to know for sure if it was the fix, weather or just a coincidence.

100k miles oil pan gasket leak and these 2 or 3 relatively minor malfunction codes I can deal with. Its the next 100k miles thats going to be the real story for me. I have confidence I should remain trouble free for at least another 100k ive got my fingers crossed.

·
16,594 Posts
The PCV valve is integrated into the valve cover. The whole thing is replaced when it goes bad. Must not be too bad of a job on an Ecotec - it's been a huge PITA on some motors I've dealt with and relatively easy on others.

An oil pan gasket would be unrelated. However, I wonder if some oil was indeed seeping past cam/rear main seals from a faulty PCV valve.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
So when they replaced the cover for $70 your saying that included the pcv valve ? What is the fat tube on top of the engine sort of to the back near the fuel injector area ? Also ever since I bought the car ive noticed that strange cruze engine noise and it seems to be coming from that area. Its almost like a ticking noise its difficult to explain im sure you know what im talking about. Is that sound normal ? Ive always wanted to go to the dealer and ask them to start all their cruzes so I could listen to them all. haha

·
16,594 Posts
It sure did. One of them anyway. Turbo cars have a vacuum for the PCV system at 2 places - the intake side of the turbo (when the intake manifold does not have vacuum under boost like a normal naturally aspirated engine would), and at the intake manifold at idle/deceleration.

The corrugated pipe that goes from the plastic intake manifold at the back to the turbo around the front is part of the PCV system on the Cruze.

The ticking is normal. Bosch fuel injectors are super loud - my Volvo (and other Ecotecs) used them too and sounded similar.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Couple of days ago I noticed my car starting to idle really high when it was warming up (1500 rpm) before it would go back down. The car has already been in the shop before for a rough idle but was repeatedly told it was "normal". Now the idle is very rough with a pronounced 'miss' its like a cylinder just isn't firing and the car is idling around 600 rpm. The check engine light came on and then the 'service traction control' came on but went off the next time I started it.

I have a video I'm loading onto youtube right now of it. Car has 35k miles and is really starting to tick me off. Will be bringing it to the dealership tom. Any clues to what I'm in for?

RandomTask
I would like you to keep me posted on the progress with your dealer. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well you guys were on the money. Picked up the car this evening. PCV valve took a dump. New valve cover. This seems to be too common of a problem. I'm not super thrilled about the dealer I was working with. They made it a hassle to get a rental ie "We need to make sure its going to be a warranty issue before we give you a rental, or you could rent it and we'll cover you if we find out it is." Basically, putting all the risk on me. Every other vehicle I've purchased through, if you schedule the maintenance, the dealer will give a loaner even for the more mundain things. Also, most dealers wash the cars they work on after they have, this one (RK Chevrolet in Va Beach) doesn't. They make it seem like once they sold you the vehicle, go pound sand. . .that is until you want to buy another vehicle, then its "Oh hey!" I'm looking to pick up a C7 once they release their upper version (Z06 or ZR1). . . and RK will def NOT be getting my money.

And thanks Stacy - I guess my thing (I love the Cruze for a DD) is get this valve cover issue fixed. This is too common a problem and as shown by some of the people on this forum, its leaving people high and dry.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Well you guys were on the money. Picked up the car this evening. PCV valve took a dump. New valve cover. This seems to be too common of a problem. I'm not super thrilled about the dealer I was working with. They made it a hassle to get a rental ie "We need to make sure its going to be a warranty issue before we give you a rental, or you could rent it and we'll cover you if we find out it is." Basically, putting all the risk on me. Every other vehicle I've purchased through, if you schedule the maintenance, the dealer will give a loaner even for the more mundain things. Also, most dealers wash the cars they work on after they have, this one (RK Chevrolet in Va Beach) doesn't. They make it seem like once they sold you the vehicle, go pound sand. . .that is until you want to buy another vehicle, then its "Oh hey!" I'm looking to pick up a C7 once they release their upper version (Z06 or ZR1). . . and RK will def NOT be getting my money.

And thanks Stacy - I guess my thing (I love the Cruze for a DD) is get this valve cover issue fixed. This is too common a problem and as shown by some of the people on this forum, its leaving people high and dry.
Have to force my dealer NOT to wash my car. Just leave it alone and give it back to me!!

·
16,594 Posts
Yeah, my dealers are the same way. The "good" one forces you into the rental and you have to pay if they don't find anything wrong. The other will gladly give you a loaner, but sucks at service. Sigh.

Maybe it's just something about VA dealers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Engine light and rough idle

I am having the same type issue on my 2012 cruze LT, I just changed spark plugs last week, just yesterday the check engine light came on and now rough idling. I just bought the car 30 days ago. But I am guessing its a vacuum leak or the valave cover that would need replacing. yesterday I saw just a touch of oil near the oil fill cap. beyond that the car has ran wonderfully. I have 57000 miles on the car and will be taking it to the dealership today.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yup time for a valve cover

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I am having the same type issue on my 2012 cruze LT, I just changed spark plugs last week, just yesterday the check engine light came on and now rough idling. I just bought the car 30 days ago. But I am guessing its a vacuum leak or the valave cover that would need replacing. yesterday I saw just a touch of oil near the oil fill cap. beyond that the car has ran wonderfully. I have 57000 miles on the car and will be taking it to the dealership today.
Hi aferrell71,

Welcome to Cruze Talk! I am sorry you are experiencing a rough idle issue with your check engine light illuminated. Please let us know how your dealer visit goes. We are here to assist with vehicle concerns and questions. Contact us via private message so we can further discuss your situation.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
8 Posts
Came up with a P0171 code at the dealership. They are looking into what is going on. No check engine light this morning but still idling rough. Dealership did not reset the code, just cleared on its own. But still have a coolant leak, seemed alot worse yesterday morning when i ran the heater. Didnt run the heater this morning and has seemed to leak as bad, but will check it again in a few hours.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts