Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thur. afternoon I pulled into my garage and put my Cruze into park and the check eng. light came on and the idle became erratic...It was 10 min. to 5 so I drove over to my dealership immediately and pulled into the service door and told the Service Manager what happened and he told me to shut it off (I figured the comp. would retain the code) as they didn't have time to look at it and they would call me tomorrow...They called at 1030, CND the malfunction and couldn't find any codes in the computer (which I don't understand) Because the ck. engine light was on all the to the dealership...BUT they found that the Cooling fan LOW side was inoperative...I always wondered why Chevy made the fan run SO high! I purchased it new from that dealership and it has always run at high speed...I explained this to the Service Manager and he said he would see what he could do as the quote was over 400.00! So he was able to get it down to apx $200.00 plus (with help from GM) The Service Manager mentioned the PCV has been an issue with the 1.4t so I looked it up on this forum and was surprised how many owners have had these issues...WHATS worse is the PCV valve is incorporated into the Valve/Cam Cover! What BAD Engineering! Rather than changing the valve you have to change the whole cover! The PCV failures, Water Pump and Coolant Smell issues must have cost Chevy/GM a fortune! Suggestion, Put Buicks Chief of Quality Control in charge of Chevrolet! The car I traded in for my Cruze was a 1999 Buick Regal 3800, Great car with 200,000 mi and NO issues...My Cruze is a 2012LT with 54,000 mi...Fun to drive, good looking, but all these these recalls/non recall troubles, are just unacceptable...Everything has been under warranty, till now, yet now its starting to come from my pockets, the fan (which I would think would be included in the ENG/DRIVETRAIN Warranty) Not to mention my trunk switch just died, another $60.00... for a 4 year old car!

·
Registered
20 Posts
UPDATE: Went to pick up my car Today, the Dealership CND the surging issue so they said just drive it the car till the CEL comes on again and bring it in... Well started the car to leave and the light stayed on...Code showed that the PCV was bad and they are replacing the valve cover as we speak...Does anyone know if they have (re-engineered) Valve/Cam cover or am I going to have to deal with this again in 30,000-40,000 Miles?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,662 Posts
UPDATE: Went to pick up my car Today, the Dealership CND the surging issue so they said just drive it the car till the CEL comes on again and bring it in... Well started the car to leave and the light stayed on...Code showed that the PCV was bad and they are replacing the valve cover as we speak...Does anyone know if they have (re-engineered) Valve/Cam cover or am I going to have to deal with this again in 30,000-40,000 Miles?
They've redesigned it a couple times...but you'll probably have to deal with it again, maybe at a longer service interval. Fortunately, it's cheap and relatively easy to replace.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Well you guys were on the money. Picked up the car this evening. PCV valve took a dump. New valve cover. This seems to be too common of a problem. I'm not super thrilled about the dealer I was working with. They made it a hassle to get a rental ie "We need to make sure its going to be a warranty issue before we give you a rental, or you could rent it and we'll cover you if we find out it is." Basically, putting all the risk on me. Every other vehicle I've purchased through, if you schedule the maintenance, the dealer will give a loaner even for the more mundain things. Also, most dealers wash the cars they work on after they have, this one (RK Chevrolet in Va Beach) doesn't. They make it seem like once they sold you the vehicle, go pound sand. . .that is until you want to buy another vehicle, then its "Oh hey!" I'm looking to pick up a C7 once they release their upper version (Z06 or ZR1). . . and RK will def NOT be getting my money.

And thanks Stacy - I guess my thing (I love the Cruze for a DD) is get this valve cover issue fixed. This is too common a problem and as shown by some of the people on this forum, its leaving people high and dry.
This problem and the water pump. I wish GM would explain what exactly the problem is with these two items. But hey we only paid 20,000 something for our cars so I guess it isn't like we bought a Buick or a GMC so I guess we don't deserve explanations.

Corporations are soulless. Anybody in washington d.c. that thinks they are people are psycho-paths.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did mine for the third time at 178k, second was at 134k, first went at 93k if I recall correctly. Seems like it settled into 40k for the magic number. If only they would have made the diaphragm serviceable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
So my Cruze started idling rough yesterday 10/27 and then the check engine light came on. The traction control system and StabiTrac said it needed to be serviced but went away after about 15 seconds. I took it to AutoZone and they gave me three codes P1101, P0106, and P0171. The car has 76K miles on it and is still covered under the powertrain warranty. I took it to my friendly autoshop today and they said they think something is wrong with the Turbo because of a weird clicking sound they heard when they revved the engine. They also said they were unsure what they should do about it and that I should take it to the dealer. Just two weeks ago the Cruze was running kind of hot and the radiator fan was running at high speed even when the car was off. I took it to this same shop and they replaced a leaky hose that ran from the top of the coolant tank to the engine, the thermostat, and the water outlet. The mechanic said he noticed today that the car seemed underpowered compared to when I brought it in two weeks ago.

I called the local Chevy dealer and they want to charge me $130 just to diagnose the Cruze, which they are going to do tomorrow. I am hoping that this will all be covered under the Powertrain Warrenty because I can't afford to spend more than $200 after all the work I had done already.

·
16,662 Posts
Hi,
So my Cruze started idling rough yesterday 10/27 and then the check engine light came on. The traction control system and StabiTrac said it needed to be serviced but went away after about 15 seconds. I took it to AutoZone and they gave me three codes P1101, P0106, and P0171. The car has 76K miles on it and is still covered under the powertrain warranty. I took it to my friendly autoshop today and they said they think something is wrong with the Turbo because of a weird clicking sound they heard when they revved the engine. They also said they were unsure what they should do about it and that I should take it to the dealer. Just two weeks ago the Cruze was running kind of hot and the radiator fan was running at high speed even when the car was off. I took it to this same shop and they replaced a leaky hose that ran from the top of the coolant tank to the engine, the thermostat, and the water outlet. The mechanic said he noticed today that the car seemed underpowered compared to when I brought it in two weeks ago.

I called the local Chevy dealer and they want to charge me $130 just to diagnose the Cruze, which they are going to do tomorrow. I am hoping that this will all be covered under the Powertrain Warrenty because I can't afford to spend more than $200 after all the work I had done already.
Those codes point to a failed PCV valve in the valve cover.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've looked all over the internet to find out and can't seem to find an answer on this, when I got the hose, water outlet and the thermostate replaced a couple weeks ago that should have been covered under Special Coverage 14371 correct? If I had the repair made at an outside shop can I request reimbursement from GM? I had no idea I had Special Coverage on anything until I started investigating this PCV issue.

·
Premium Member
7,900 Posts
I've looked all over the internet to find out and can't seem to find an answer on this, when I got the hose, water outlet and the thermostate replaced a couple weeks ago that should have been covered under Special Coverage 14371 correct? If I had the repair made at an outside shop can I request reimbursement from GM? I had no idea I had Special Coverage on anything until I started investigating this PCV issue.
I believe 14371 only covers water pump. Water outlet and thermostat would be Powertrain. Hose, I think is only covered in B2B. I don't know if you can be reimbursed if you go to a 3rd party shop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seems like most of these issues with the pvc/valve cover are on the 2012 or earlier model's. I have a 2014 LTZ RS with 37k. Hope i dont run into this BS in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This sounds exactly like what my 2014 cruze is doing. My cruze only has 26,986 miles on it. It has been "surging" and my check engine light and stablitrak service light comes on for about three months, I have taken it to the dealership three times and each time have been told it has to do with the gas I am using. The difference from the others on the forum is that my cruze will only "surge" the worst when the car has been sitting for a day or it has a full tank of gas. The last time I took it to the dealership they said it came up with a code and to change gas stations, that I had some bad gas. I believe from what I have read that my problem is the PVC valve, now I need to try to convince my dealership that is the problem.

·
Administrator
25,195 Posts
This sounds exactly like what my 2014 cruze is doing. My cruze only has 26,986 miles on it. It has been "surging" and my check engine light and stablitrak service light comes on for about three months, I have taken it to the dealership three times and each time have been told it has to do with the gas I am using. The difference from the others on the forum is that my cruze will only "surge" the worst when the car has been sitting for a day or it has a full tank of gas. The last time I took it to the dealership they said it came up with a code and to change gas stations, that I had some bad gas. I believe from what I have read that my problem is the PVC valve, now I need to try to convince my dealership that is the problem.
What was the code? Also, change dealerships - yours isn't interested in doing warranty work so I wouldn't reward them down the road with any work.

·
16,662 Posts
They won't tell me. The only thing I was told that it was bad gas.
That yours only happens on a full tank of gas or after sitting doesn't sound PCV related. There's a EVAP system purge valve for the canister that collects fuel vapors from the tank, a charcoal canister. I think that is bad. It fits the symptoms.

·
Administrator
25,195 Posts
They won't tell me. The only thing I was told that it was bad gas.
The fact that they won't tell you the code tells me they're incompetent. I agree with @jblackburn and think you have an evap recovery issue. Get another dealership ASAP and as soon as they fix it post the name of the incompetents here.

101 - 120 of 156 Posts