Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone just joined because I just got a 2014 Chevy Cruze with 27000 miles. I have a check engine light on and went to Auto Zone to pull codes. They are P0300 and P0336 any insight on how to troubleshoot, thanks in advance.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Think all the codes are the same for GM P0336 is an erratic pulse from the crankshaft position sensor that will also cause P0300, an engine misfire.

How is your engine running?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
This is what that crank angle position sensor looks like, has to be located somewhere near the crankshaft.

Not a very complicated part about a 1/8" diameter permanent magnet with a few turns of some very fine magnet wire wrapped around it. Should be conductivity between those two connector pins, can be tested with an ohmmeter.

Bolt holding it a can be loose increasing the gap between it and the reluctor or even slightly corroded connector contacts, doesn't take very much, this feeds directly into the ECU that use to be the PCM in GM terms, must have hired some Ford engineers.

Use to use 1/4" spade connector terminals for far superior connectivity, but when I open a hood of today's vehicles, have to look again. Am I under the hood or am I looking at the inside of a laptop computer?

Many sensors are replaced with new ones, with clean contacts, but these are only the males, females in the connector can also be slightly corroded, I don't toss my dirty dishes away either and they are a heck of a lot cheaper. Using a small jewelers screwdriver attempt to squeeze the females closer together for a tight fit, ha, no further comments on this issue.

You are making contact most of the time, but not all the time, and not looking for an earthquake, just the slightest bit of corrosion.

Ha, prior military, tell my kids, you call that contact clean, get down and give me 50.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi everyone just joined because I just got a 2014 Chevy Cruze with 27000 miles. I have a check engine light on and went to Auto Zone to pull codes. They are P0300 and P0336 any insight on how to troubleshoot, thanks in advance.
Hello Ltmartin,

Although it's great you're seeking advice on the forum, I'm sorry to learn you're experiencing these codes. I wanted to chime in to let you know we're available to assist if you're planning on working with a certified Chevrolet dealership. You can contact us via private message and we would need your VIN, contact information, and the name of your dealership to move forward. Thank you for your time and be sure to keep the forum in the loop!

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Over the years I have worked in many different phases in the electronic field. Military, industrial, consumer, entertainment, avionic, computers, the most backward of them all is automotive.

Ha, back in the mid 60's, it was a huge battle with management just to replace the ignition and voltage regulator points with a transistor. Today they have gone completely nuts with electronics.

Most valuable piece of equipment is an oscilloscope, the eyes of a tech, without one you are blind. Here you are working with a digital pulse train, that has amplitude, phase, and frequency. You can stare at an electronic component all day and never know if its good or bad until you test it.

Another thing all electronic equipment has is test points, completely lacking in automotive, have to use stick pins for connectivity, make sure you cover that tiny hole with RTV or will have corrosion problems.

Symptoms are pointing to the CAS for an erratic pulse train, would see this instantly with a scope, or variations in amplitude. Common method is to replace it, call this guys parts throwers, if you do replace it, how do you know your replacement is good? Could also have reluctor problems, or connectivity.

So nobody can say for sure if replacing it will solve the problem or not, because its not being tested and shown to be the problem. Automotive manuals should show test points and waveforms. Everybody else with brains does this, automotive does not.

Can also be ECU problems, when we designed these, also designed complete diagnostic software to test every aspect of it, not even available to dealers, just replace it. Or power supply problems, if the microcontroller supply voltage is just a quarter of a volt low, will go crazy. A friend just laid out 1,300 bucks for a new ECU, wasn't his problem his dealer was guessing.

And then we have code stored in flashram, one of a million FET's could be defective, corrupting the code.

Never seen such a field where the blind are leading the blind, crazy, not lying, this is the way it is. And not dealing with one of a kind products, talking about millions of automotive products.

Replacing the CAS may or may not solve your problems, would go with Standard, 13 bucks, Standard was always a good company with a very long term of good products.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so looking at the codes again it was codes P0300 and two for P0366 not P0336. Just looking at the engine bay the Cruze carries two position sensors, right if I'm not mistaken since the engine is dual overhead cam. I tested both and they are giving a single back to the pcm ranges from 2.55 to 3.00. For the random misfire I checked spark plugs and I made sure they are gapped at .28. What else could I be missing may have to take car to the dealer...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts