Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I learned many years ago, from my brother who was a jet engine mechanic in the Air Force then a commercial pilot on 747's, when you first turn your key and watch all your lights turn on, then actually starting the engine, how many of you actually read all the lights? It's a crucial part of driving a car and the majority of folks pay no attention to any lights or indicators other than the fuel level (maybe not even that!) or maybe the seat belt light. Those lights are there for a reason. You paid good money for a computer system in your car to monitor, diagnose and indicate a problem where necessary. I just want to remind everyone to take the four seconds or so and watch those lights when you start your car. Also crucial are the many bits of information given to us by the DIC, i.e., tire pressure, voltage output of battery, engine coolant temp, etc.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Dont forget about the MyLink wifi entertainment.
I always wait a second or so for the fuel pump to pressurize the fuel system.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
I learned many years ago, from my brother who was a jet engine mechanic in the Air Force then a commercial pilot on 747's, when you first turn your key and watch all your lights turn on, then actually starting the engine, how many of you actually read all the lights? It's a crucial part of driving a car and the majority of folks pay no attention to any lights or indicators other than the fuel level (maybe not even that!) or maybe the seat belt light. Those lights are there for a reason. You paid good money for a computer system in your car to monitor, diagnose and indicate a problem where necessary. I just want to remind everyone to take the four seconds or so and watch those lights when you start your car. Also crucial are the many bits of information given to us by the DIC, i.e., tire pressure, voltage output of battery, engine coolant temp, etc.
He went from mechanic to 747 pilot. Sounds like quite the learning curve.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
During key on but engine stopped, the lights are mostly a lamp check. However, in a Cruze, I think they're all LED. Not much to go wrong there.

But that's a moot point for me, since I have push button start.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
He went from mechanic to 747 pilot. Sounds like quite the learning curve.
Quite the rage out here, a proud graduate of ITT Tech no doubt. In any case this staring at the dots in real time is silly although I salute the O/P for doing so. If the CRUZE wants to tell you something, it can bong, ding, light up, or write to you through the steering wheel!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nowdays I only look at my UltraGauge and ignition coil (diesel engine) to come off. Don't think ECU runs much of diagnostics before engine is running. I have a friend that is going through a long startup checklist just as it is in the aviation - inspecting the car from outside, turn key and wait for imobilizer, turn igntion and wait few seconds, crank engine, manually "warm up" gearbox by doing few shifts, checking all lights, waiting for engine to warm to at least 50C , etc, etc. Crazy! :)

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
The lights on a 747 (or any aircraft) are very different from the lights on your Cruze. Like comparing apples to oranges.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts