Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Right now the only CVT vehicle Ive driven that I could possibly live with is in the Civic. I didnt notice it too much - all other vehicles with them feel like a rubber band in the transmission. I had a rental Corolla for a week and it drove me nuts. Hopefully GM can get the programming right such that any 'gear changes' happen without what I like to call the 'stretching out' effect most CVTs have.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
CVT...isn’t that what they put in golf carts, snowmobiles and RZRs?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Too bad the CVT is coming. Can't leave well enough alone. There is a new 6 speed automatic trans in the second generation Cruze. Hope that it will turn out to be reliable. Most new things have bugs that take years to work out. (ex #1 cylinders now cracking in the new 1.4) . I have not talked to anyone that likes the Auto Start/Stop feature. I regularly drive a friend's 2014 Corolla with a CVT . Noisy and whines a lot. Another friend has a 2007 Nissan Versa with 180,000 km and the CVT is quiet. Cruze and other car sales are dropping because of the shift to SUV,s, but GM is also turning off people by putting things into the cars that most don't want. We abandoned CVT transmissions on conveyor drives when I worked in industry, because they were constantly wearing out, and breaking down.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,578 Posts
I think it'll only be on Eco models. GM and Ford just spent a lot of money developing the excellent 9AT.

Ironically, CVTs are made livable by faking shift points so that they seem more like a normal transmission. They are more efficient - but one can only handle so much efficiency when it comes at the price of your sanity.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think an ideal CVT would be ok. Problem is, they're fragile, can't handle torque. So the computer allows the engine to rev before 'engaging' the wheels. Does this so it makes it through the warranty period. They tend to crap out early, don't they?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I remember reading about this GM CVT. If I recall it was going to be a completely in house design. I'm not a huge fan of CVT's, but done right they really aren't that bad. Nissan is still using their 2.5L run of the mill 4 banger. With the new CVT in the Altima they claim 37-38 mpg. That's a huge car vs. a Cruze. Could be interesting if they get it right.

I just hope that GM remembers the problems with Saturn Vue's with their last attempt at CVT's. Get it right, buyers can't handle another round of CVT deployment like that from GM.

I'm not sure I'd want a first year CVT. Let them get the kinks out of it. Specifically the programming.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hate CVT!

ALthough, I have to say,
CVT makes sense for the city!
At highway speeds, a CVT uses more energy than a regular transmission, resulting in lower MPG.
It also generates much more heat, and wears out a lot faster.
But for the city, a CVT is pretty desirable!
No more shifting gears in start-stop traffic!
One thing I hate about manual (and automatic) cars, no matter how tall their gearing is, is shifting between 1st to 3rd gear.
It's like the needle flies from zero to redline, before you can even shift the car into another gear.
Or staying in 2nd gear, 4k rpm, just because you're not sure if the car in front of you is going to stop (like he usually does, right after you have shifted into a higher gear).

For start-stop traffic, CVTs are phenomenal!
City driving, traffic jams.

But for highways, manual is still best (depending on final gear ratio).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have one on my 2008 Dodge Caliber and love it. Very smooth, never an issue. From what I have been told, they carry a lifetime warranty. I don't know about GM, but that was nice on my Caliber. 160000+ miles and still going strong. My daughter currently drives it. Runs like a top.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,785 Posts
Whatever happend to this:

Next-Gen 2016 Chevy Cruze To Offer New 7-Speed Dual-Clutch | GM Authority

View attachment 259697

Why only in China? Apart from annoyingly "economic" early up shifts (thing needs a sport mode) it's pretty decent.
They don't do well in the American market (with the exception of VWs DSG). Surprisingly people seem more accepting of CVTs than auto reviewers would like them to believe. And I guess the Ford/GM FWD 9 speeds have come to market now, although both soldier on with the old 6 speeds in a lot of vehicles still.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased a 2016 Cruze Premier for me and a 2016 Spark for my daughter. The Cruze gets better gas mileage than the Spark both in the city and (especially) on the highway. I'm not sure the Spark has overdrive! It doesn't feel like it coasts when you let off the gas at highway speeds. The Spark gets about 38mpg on the highway, while my Cruze gets 44mpg (gas engine). And yes, I've tested it with me driving both cars, so it's not the driver. CVT stinks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.