Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

General Motors plans to launch a fleet of Chevrolet Cruze-based electric vehicles in Korea, but the company says that there are no plans to sell such a car in the United States.

GM is partnering with Korean conglomerate LG to develop the battery technology needed to make the Cruze EV a reality. A range of 100 miles is said to be possible and according to one GM spokesperson, "provide real-world data on customer acceptance of battery electric vehicles, studying driving patterns and charging behavior."

"This Cruze EV demonstration project reinforces GM's commitment to being a leader in the development of electric vehicles and green technologies, building on our portfolio of hybrids and the Chevrolet Volt," said Karl Stracke, vice president of GM global vehicle engineering, in a statement.

The Cruze EV is apparently not slated for production, but it should give us a good look at the company's plans once the Chevrolet Volt has been launched.

More: Chevrolet Cruze EV To Begin Testing In South Korea on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
312 Posts
They should rethink about not selling to the US. Theres a lot of noise about all the upcoming EV's in the market. They should jump on the chance unless they're scared it might rob sales of the Volt.
Chevrolet Cruze will be good as an all electric car and much cheaper then the Volt. About $10 000 - $15 000 is the difference, and that would KILL sales for the Volt .If GM really wanted us to have an electric Cruze we would be the first to get it, just like how we (American's) are the first to get the Volt.

Who cares about electric cars anyways.... we have another decade before they can be considered a good choice for you and your wallet.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Plus your just shifting the pollution from the car to the electric power plants where the majority burn coal (very polluting).

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Plus your just shifting the pollution from the car to the electric power plants where the majority burn coal (very polluting).
This is one of the most common arguments against electric cars, though its completely not true.

Imagine having to monitor pollution controls on 100,000+ small engines(not every US state requires emissions testing on cars), its much easier to regulate one facility.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Although it cannot yet be verified with real world data, there has been a study done supporting switching to electric cars. Even if every power plant in the US used coal (which is not currently the case), and everyone had to charge their car, the net result would still be less greenhouse gas emissions. However, coal has other polution issues that would need to be abaited if we went that route (think smokey England streets during the industrial revolution, acid rain, etc.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
We left out nuclear power plants. The possibilities of nuclear are endless. No I'm not a nuclear engineer but my son is. Much progress has been made by running the first generation of nuclear. Digital controls are replacing hydraulics. The safety of the next generation of plants will be multiples of the safety of the first. The fuel can be recycled. Compare that to any fossil powered plant. We need to get our head out of the sand and recognize that fossil fuels are being consumed, period.

·
Registered
516 Posts
We left out nuclear power plants. The possibilities of nuclear are endless. No I'm not a nuclear engineer but my son is. Much progress has been made by running the first generation of nuclear. Digital controls are replacing hydraulics. The safety of the next generation of plants will be multiples of the safety of the first. The fuel can be recycled. Compare that to any fossil powered plant. We need to get our head out of the sand and recognize that fossil fuels are being consumed, period.
I agree. I think nuclear is more viable than in the past.
Also, with cars, we have alternatives. Jet aviation we don't so the more modes of transportation we get off of oil, the better for those where its more difficult.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.