Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I would like to know what is the Chevrolet Cruze OBDII protocol?
My car is 2010 Chevrolet Cruze 1.8
I need to know so I can decide which OBDII scanner works in my car.
If anyone knows please helps us to know.

Thank a lot,

·
Registered
150 Posts
Any will work. Obd2 is obd2. If you want enhanced pids then you need something that can communicate via the CAN bus. Obd2 is still there, but there are way more networks running in there than you can imagine. Just get an obdlink mx (the black bluetooth version) that should give you plenty. Don't buy a cheap elm device. I have like 5 obdlink devices and they all work just fine, and what you get for the price ain't bad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any will work. Obd2 is obd2. If you want enhanced pids then you need something that can communicate via the CAN bus. Obd2 is still there, but there are way more networks running in there than you can imagine. Just get an obdlink mx (the black bluetooth version) that should give you plenty. Don't buy a cheap elm device. I have like 5 obdlink devices and they all work just fine, and what you get for the price ain't bad.
I am thinking to get Kennwei KW680

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ok... Sure. I wouldn't. I would go get an obdlink sx and just use your laptop. You aren't getting anything special with that, and it makes no mention besides CAN of any other protocols. Do you know the difference between j1850, CAN, pwm vs vpw and all that? What is the end goal? Like, what all do you want to do? Just use torque and read and clear codes and stuff?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
obdlink device + phone.

Beyond that you can look at some of the higher end snap on or equivalent tools which go for like $1000 to $2000 starting.

Anything else is a waste of money. They generally cause CAN failures, give incorrect information, and cut too many corners.

In addition no auto manufacture uses OBD2 (as in the actual OBD2 protocol, not the port) anymore. It’s an outdated system and is only there for EPA regulation. Everyone uses a variant of UDS.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok... Sure. I wouldn't. I would go get an obdlink sx and just use your laptop. You aren't getting anything special with that, and it makes no mention besides CAN of any other protocols. Do you know the difference between j1850, CAN, pwm vs vpw and all that? What is the end goal? Like, what all do you want to do? Just use torque and read and clear codes and stuff?
you are right I agree with you.
I have the following options as USB OBD Cables which one would you recommend?

option 1

option2

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
O
B
D
L
I
N
K

Just get either an mx plus or sx. Unless you are planning on doing more than reading, just get one of those. Not really sure what else we can say. If you don't know why you want those other devices or what all the acronyms mean, you don't need them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
50 bucks for the basics:

ScanTool OBDLink LX Bluetooth: Professional Grade OBD-II Automotive Scan Tool for Windows and Android - DIY Car and Truck Data and Diagnostics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9S71LW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_R0IrEbGR69D5C

Less than 100 for a little more:
[/URL]

I have both devices (actually multiple of each) and they work fine if all you want to do is log and run pids through torque or something. If you are interested in playing on the CAN, then get the mx+, and be prepared to do a looooooot of research before screwing around with it (unless you come from a computer engineering background, and even then...). So yeah. Obdlink. None of those knockoffs with a fancy screen are going to do you any favors but it's your dough ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
50 bucks for the basics:

ScanTool OBDLink LX Bluetooth: Professional Grade OBD-II Automotive Scan Tool for Windows and Android - DIY Car and Truck Data and Diagnostics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9S71LW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_R0IrEbGR69D5C

Less than 100 for a little more:
[/URL]

I have both devices (actually multiple of each) and they work fine if all you want to do is log and run pids through torque or something. If you are interested in playing on the CAN, then get the mx+, and be prepared to do a looooooot of research before screwing around with it (unless you come from a computer engineering background, and even then...). So yeah. Obdlink. None of those knockoffs with a fancy screen are going to do you any favors but it's your dough ;)
hi
my issue is the price because 50USD is a lot for me that's why I showed you different alternatives that I hope it will work. Btw I already purchased ELM327 WIFI OBD2 for 8USD and I hope it will work.
Any recommended apps?

Thanks,

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Torque Pro is the recommended app, but cheap WiFi OBD links are known not to work with anything.
You might be lucky, there are very rare cheap units that do work, but don't hold your breath, or be surprised when it doesn't work.
Hi
The device I bought ELM327 worked fine and fast connect to my phone. I used the torque app and clear the code and check engine light turn off.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a BlueDriver about a year ago and love it. One time cost, no laptop required, and works via an app on your phone. Its about $100 and does live monitoring as well so you can drive while connected to see what might be going on that doesn't cause a code.

·
Registered
150 Posts
hi
my issue is the price because 50USD is a lot for me that's why I showed you different alternatives that I hope it will work. Btw I already purchased ELM327 WIFI OBD2 for 8USD and I hope it will work.
Any recommended apps?

Thanks,
50 bucks is not too much for any car mod. Unfortunately you gotta pay to play and you get what you pay for. I don't like the wifi ones because you have to connect directly to it, which means I can't use the wifi in my car on my phone. I have my obdlink sx (usb) hook up to an obd2 splitter and running to my dasaita head unit with all wiring tucked under the dash. I have all sorts of electronics installed like that

1 - 14 of 14 Posts