Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hello guys, checking the engine of my 2014 Chevrolet Cruze today I found something weird (see above picture) on the lower side of the engine where is located a hose that cover something like a rack I found that that hose is lose, it has a clamp, but it is detached and you can see the rack covered on grease inside, what I should do? It tried to put back the hose on place but it won't stay, my car is under warranty, so I suppose the dealer can fixed, but to get an appointment with them is a mess , I called before to solve a problem with the air conditioning vents not closing and they never can accommodate me according my work schedule, any suggestion?

Thanks in advance for for any opinion.

Vic

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you're not familiar with it (not to insult your intelligence) that's a boot and the purpose of it is to keep the rack clean. I would say take it to the dealer so they can inspect it for any issues and to clean it incase any rocks or dirt got onto the rack. If you can't do that then make sure it's clean and lubridated then get a new clamp and just clamp it back down. A screw style hose clamp looks like it would do the trick. How's the steering? Any unusual noises?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello Djacob , first I'm not a mechanic and wasn't familiar with that boot, I was guessing here, I'm going to make an appointment as soon as possible with the dealer to see if being the car still under warranty they can fixed at no cost, I tried to put another clamp like you says but it won't stay in place I don't know why, also the other clamp is still there and can't be removed, so I leaved alone the only thing that worry me now is that water can get in there very easy, and here in South Florida is raining everyday.... let's see if I get lucky and a close to my job dealer want to fix this at a convenient time...
Thanks for your help and knowledgeable information.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of time frame you're looking at. Most dealers have normal working hours - not much for evening and weekends. If work is fairly close to the dealer, you may find they have a shuttle service. So drop off the car on the way to work, catch the shuttle.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Called a rack and pinion dust boot, held in place by a crimp like circle ring, Joe Weak must have crimped yours. While rack and pinion does have some blessings, these boots have been a PITA over the years. Ran into some vehicles, couldn't even buy a new boot, wanted me to replace the entire rack with new boots for $$$$$.

Easy to replace, can just pop off the tie rod end, no need to take it off that would affect wheel alignment. Work the old boot off and work the new boot on over the tie rod end.

What really kills these things in a hurry is having engine oil drop on them, but with any piece of rubber, dry up and age the the environment take over. Far worse with hydraulic power steering, road debris gets into the fluid and can really mess things up, good question with electric power steering. Spraying them with silicone does help to extend their life.

I see boots are available for the Cruze, got me curious.

$40.00 a piece sounds kind of stiff, use to be a five buck part, but trying to get use to this. But at least you can replace these rather than replace the entire rack. Also help to coat that collar they fit on with RTV for a better seal, but they don't do this. Also helps them stay on. Those collars have to be cleaned first. Key reason like I like doing these jobs myself, last a lot longer.

Hmmm, looking at this drawing the tie rod end would have to be removed first, and the toe in should be realigned. 80 bucks to loosen that nut and rotate that link a tad?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the opinions guys, car is still under warranty, I suppose I'm covered for this repair? that is my question now...let's see what the dealer say..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts