Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a simple question. Chevron VS Shell V power? which one is the better gas for the Cruze. I have been using chevron 93 octane for a year without any issues but some people say shell is the better gas and I would be able to squeeze out more mileage from my car with Shell. Apparently Shell is the cheaper one of the two (hope not at the cost of quality) so that's a bonus.

Any suggestions?

Thank You :)

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Brands really don't make as much difference as some people say. The way to make your car run it's best and gets its best MPG is to buy as fresh of gas as possible, from a high volume station(like near a cross roads of major highways or near the interstate).

There are no Chevron stations in my area so I have never filled up at one. I get the same MPG with all top tier brands when comparing similar octane and ethanol content.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both are top tier gasolines. Top Tier Gasoline
I would use either with confidence, but feel free to experiment and see what works best. Assuming both are 93 octane with up to 10% ethanol, I would not expect any mpg differences between the two.
yes Today I filled the car up with Shell V power 93 oct. Lets see how this one goes.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
IMO gas is mostly all the same. It's the additive that's different. I use gas that's not advertised to have any additive and add my own.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I have a friend who works in the oil industry and his company sells analytical instruments to both Shell and Chevron, and every refinery in the country. He swears by Chevron. He says Techron is recognized as the best additive in the industry.

i used to only use Shell because it is closer to my house and usually a few cents cheaper. I started using Chevron after I asked my friend which he preferred. Haven't noticed a difference in mileage, but the Chevron station is always cleaner and better maintained. It is also much busier despite being a few cents more.

·
10,712 Posts
I haven't seen either one recently here on the coast of Virginia.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Texacos were closing up when I was there(outside Andrews AFB back gate. There was chevrons and the last one I remember was near seven corners heading to Fairfax the city.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Haven't seen a ton of Texacos or Chevrons around St Louis either. Can't recall seeing them in the Omaha/Des Moines areas either. Personally, I use Shell, but again that's what's in my area.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I will be filling up at shell again tonight, the closest one to my house is 36 miles away. I usually will top off at this station when near it since their fuel is always cheap being near the interstate.

My previous fill up was from this station and it seems to be a significant improvement over my normal MPG. Last few fill ups were Mobil 91E0, This shell also has 91E0 so I figured it would be pretty comparable. Lets see if I can break 40MPG in mixed driving with my auto!

Not sure if its due to the brand difference but the 91E0 from shell also seems to preform better above 80F outside than the mobil has. Was 85F today and did not feel any difference in power output, typically I can tell when it gets above 80F as my car starts to feel underpowered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chevron or Shell

Chevron to me is the same as shell, just different additives. Shell is more well known thanks to its advertisements on NASCAR, etc. The point is, it doesn't matter as long as you use the efficient gas octane for your vehicle. The reason i choose Shell, is because its near the school and chevron is in the main part of my city where all the traffic goes through and is sometimes a hassle to get in there. I most likely got to the gas station in front of it which was a Phillips 66, but got changed to Marathon. :giggle:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts