Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know of three options...

A die cut overlay from grafxwerks.com, a little tricky to apply as you need to be spot on for proper and complete coverage

Buy 3M automotive vinyl and apply over the emblem then trim with an exacto. The emblem has a grove between the center and chrome edge making trimming easy.

Mask off the area and spray paint the center.

If you go with the first option, I suggest you search "overlay" and read the experiences of others. This will help you with the install or deciding which option is best for you.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i got 2 new emblems, and had a friend spray them hotrod black. i think it was a little more than the overlays, but i think it'll last longer. (fyi the front emblem is a pita to get off)

·
Registered
247 Posts
How does one get the front bowtie off? I'd like to spray mine, have self-installed overlay done with vinyl and x-acto, but would like paint.

·
Registered
196 Posts
its on with 2 sided tape. its tough but it will come off, pop the upper pins out to get your hands in there, there are 4 relase tabs, once the glue lets go it pops right off.

thats where patience is needed. thats why i opted to get new ones and spray them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know of three options...

A die cut overlay from grafxwerks.com, a little tricky to apply as you need to be spot on for proper and complete coverage

Buy 3M automotive vinyl and apply over the emblem then trim with an exacto. The emblem has a grove between the center and chrome edge making trimming easy.

Mask off the area and spray paint the center.

If you go with the first option, I suggest you search "overlay" and read the experiences of others. This will help you with the install or deciding which option is best for you.
I'm looking for a place online to buy the 3M automotive vinyl. Checked Autozone/Summit Racing and 3M. I can't seem to find it. I'm looking for white. If you know a place, I'd be thankful for the link.

I ruined the grafxwerks decals.

Thanks!

·
Registered
491 Posts
^x2

Thats all I did, bought a blank sheet from a vinyl shop and made my own. Came out really nice and cheaper than buying it online!

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
If you don't trust yourself you can go two routes;

1. PlastiDip: Its cheap, lasts forever, and just requires a little spray painting and protecting your car with newspaper/tape.

2. 3M Vinyl Decals: You can get a sheet at a local shop, then you can keep working at it until you get it just right.

·
Registered
682 Posts
4th option: call around some local sign shops and ask for some scrap black vinyl that they might be able to give you for free or even for a buck or two lol. You'd be surprised at the results if you ask nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
4th option: call around some local sign shops and ask for some scrap black vinyl that they might be able to give you for free or even for a buck or two lol. You'd be surprised at the results if you ask nicely.
Yup!

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I plasti Dip'd Mine turned out great. And you dont have to actually worry to much about over spray, cause it will come right off. I'm not suggesting you dont tape it off just saying you dont have to go super crazy with it. Also if it globs together which is pretty hard to do it peels right off with no damage done. Plasti Dip is great stuff. you can get it at Lowes, or Home Depot, also youtube it there are tons of videos of stuff to Plati dip if you want to do more than just the bowties. I'm doing all Chrome "Shiny" on my car. Havr still yet do the rims... :( need time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts