Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I need the help of anyone who has a cruze 1.4 head off of their car I recently talked to a representative from ARP and they said that if we could help gather some info they could develop a kit for head studs/bolts. And unlike previous quotes it will be for a lot cheaper than 200 dollars per stud.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
$200 a stud? Are they insane. What they think youre building, a NHRA dragster?

Reactions: 6010LongRod

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello everybody, I need the help of anyone who has a cruze 1.4 head off of their car I recently talked to a representative from ARP and they said that if we could help gather some info they could develop a kit for head studs/bolts. And unlike previous quotes it will be for a lot cheaper than 200 dollars per stud.
I haven't taken my head off, but if ARP comes out with heads studs/bolts I would probably purchase a set for down the line when I turn my Cruze into a 250HP beast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
250 comes quicker than you'd think with just a little pcm tuning I had a CAI, ported intake manifold and a lightweight clutch and flywheel assembly. All I did was push the "boost" up to 19-20psi and advanced the timing (keeping my A/F safe) and my car pulled like ****. Sadly I pushed it too far and stretched the head studs and blew the head gasket. My cruze dynod at 200hp and 210 torque and that was before I realized how much timing I could throw into it. Sadly my tune got corrupted and isn't reading in my hptuners files so back to square one on the timing advances but since breaking the car I plan on playing it safe until ARP makes uprated studs and gaskets for my cruze.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The only member that I know of that has actually pulled a head of a 1.4L GEN 1 has the engine in an air boat. He was looking for studs as well.

He hasn't posted much, but I believe he said routine running around 20-25 psi was causing head gasket failures, and he's done it many times.

Helps the engine is not in a engine bay, and is accessible on the flat bottom boat.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Are you getting ARP to develop the set, or are you going to sell them?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've pulled the head off to put in pistons and heavy valve springs.

Its just head bolts holding an aluminum head down to a cast block. I replaced them with GM ones, think it was $120 for all 12.

The gasket i took off was still in excellent condition and was 100% sealed still, Im expecting everything to hold up to 35psi

@CorvensComet
Good to see another person playing with their cruze, amazing platfrom for learning on. I burnt my valve seals by disabling the over heat protection. I thought i could go full out with water/meth & a fat turbo, but my Exhaust temps got out of hand quick. My current tune pumps out 1750F in one pull. I put to much timing in and ran too lean, think it got up over 2200F for 10 seconds. Yea rebuild required...

That said i've never done a rebuild before and it wasn't to bad. Chinese ebay timing alignment kit <---IMPORTANT!!, gasket/seal kit, taking head to machine shop. $1200 and alot of time doing it wrong before i got it right.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/155257-build-thread-2016-a.html

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I've pulled the head off to put in pistons and heavy valve springs.

@CorvensComet

That said i've never done a rebuild before and it wasn't to bad. Chinese ebay timing alignment kit <---IMPORTANT!!, gasket/seal kit, taking head to machine shop. $1200 and alot of time doing it wrong before i got it right.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/155257-build-thread-2016-a.html
I've seen the Kent Moore tools and part numbers in service guides, do you have a link to the Chinese timing tools? I see something similar from the UK for around $100 for what appears to be most of the kit, but are there cheaper alternatives for holding the crank and the cam gears for installation?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've seen the Kent Moore tools and part numbers in service guides, do you have a link to the Chinese timing tools? I see something similar from the UK for around $100 for what appears to be most of the kit, but are there cheaper alternatives for holding the crank and the cam gears for installation?
Woops posted a knock off of the knock off, here is the fixed link
http://www.handsontools.com/Freedom-AM-49977-Engine-Timing-Tool-Kit-for-14L_p_161700.html
i wouldnt go cheaper, found a similar kit but it was missing the cam actuator tool

I guess its made in 'Merica, $200 USD

·
Vendor
972 Posts
You guys gotta get on the facebook groups! We've built a few Cruze motors for people, but we use a custom ARP 10mm stud and machine the block to accept it. We've also done head porting. BNR is actually going to start selling built 1.4T race motors shortly, which will include BNR pistons (made by CP) with a slight overbore, BNR valve springs, ARP head studs, ported head, GTX14 turbocharger.

Reactions: pgthe1

·
Registered
354 Posts
You guys gotta get on the facebook groups! We've built a few Cruze motors for people, but we use a custom ARP 10mm stud and machine the block to accept it. We've also done head porting. BNR is actually going to start selling built 1.4T race motors shortly, which will include BNR pistons (made by CP) with a slight overbore, BNR valve springs, ARP head studs, ported head, GTX14 turbocharger.
Just checked out the BNR facebook page.

Im going to get that ignition pack upgrade forsure! The blowout its harsh if your asking for all the beans @ 3-4k RPM

Also check my reply on the BNR website, ticket #5187

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Woops posted a knock off of the knock off, here is the fixed link
Freedom AM-49977 Engine Timing Tool Kit for 1.4L
i wouldnt go cheaper, found a similar kit but it was missing the cam actuator tool

I guess its made in 'Merica, $200 USD
Thanks for updating your link. I've seen both the first tool that you posted, which does not hold both cam phasers, and the tool that you posted. I still don't understand exactly what the tool that goes where the top chain guide goes actually does. Sets the number of chain links between the cams?

I just posted a How To that I found on Youtube of these tools that Mark has linked to in use. It's done on an engine stand vs. in the car, but gives people an idea what's required to work on a head of one of these engines.

There were a few aftermarket shops in the UK and Italy that also made this kit. The complete one that's pictured. With a dollar being higher than a Euro right now it might be worth shopping, but it's probably going to be right around $200 either way.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I still don't understand exactly what the tool that goes where the top chain guide goes actually does. Sets the number of chain links between the cams?
Yea it holds the intake cam gear, takes torque off the chain when you torque the gear against the cam. Exhaust side gear isn't held, just timing chain keeps it in place while torquing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I reworked my 1.4 with the larger head studs. I drilled and tapped the block for larger studs, Using ARP studs for a different engine, custom cut them to fit the 1.4 application.
As I remember it ARP wanted a fairly large upfront charge to design the "new" studs. Now if they will make the first set for $200.00 each the following ones will be less money.
This will NEVER be cheap. it will be cost effective for a race motor, because the studs are reusable, unlike the stock bolts that are one use and done.

Call Jerry. He can steer you in the right direction.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts