Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experimenting with different fuels this summer. It was mid to high 80s and humid. I found that 89 octane E10 would not be enough when accelerating to avoid pulling timing.

Here is what I experienced. A tank of 91 octane E0 was no better than 89 E10. It got better gas mileage but I could feel hesitation during acceleration. 93 E10 was the best. Never an issue with pulling timing.

Then I tried 88 octane E15 which is available at Kwik trip throughout Wisconsin and Minnesota. I was surprised. It ran better than 89 E10 but not quiet as good as 93 E10. And the price was great...five cents less than 87 E10.

I think this engine is tuned to not just "deal with" E15, but to run well on it. I found it interesting that it struggled a bit with 91 E0, and did better with 93 E10.

I've decided at this point to run 88 E15 year around rather than 87 E10 in the winter and 89 E10 in the summer.

I'm thinking these turbos can be tuned to run really well on ethanol.

Interested in thoughts and feedback.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is an interesting article about the advantages of higher percentages ethanol in ones fuel for turbo charged engines. I think the arguments it makes for E85 for certain cars that are set up for it, can be applied to the chevy cruze's 1.4 turbo in as much as it is set up for E15.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I too have run the Kwik Trip 88 E15. The first few tanks seem to be very nice performance. However, after about 50-60 gallons of E15 the fuel trims started to compensate by going positive. Not crazy positive, but > 15% long term, and I decided to go back to 92 Octane from Sams.

I think I get a little bit better acceleration and punch with the 92 octane Sams than the 88. Since then I had cleaned the throttle body.. Amazing how dirty it really was. The throttle before cleaning was very bouncy, now it's very stable.

The bouncy throttle could have played into account when trying the E88 fuel.

I may have noticed a small decrease in fuel economy, and the price savings for E88 vs. E87 were not worth it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not the engine is the issue when running on gasoline with more ethanol. Ethanol has a corrosive action on fuel-system components, magnesium, aluminum and rubber so the gaskets, seals, filters will fail rather than the engine since the Cruze was design for normal gasoline.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too have run the Kwik Trip 88 E15. The first few tanks seem to be very nice performance. However, after about 50-60 gallons of E15 the fuel trims started to compensate by going positive. Not crazy positive, but > 15% long term, and I decided to go back to 92 Octane from Sams.

I think I get a little bit better acceleration and punch with the 92 octane Sams than the 88. Since then I had cleaned the throttle body.. Amazing how dirty it really was. The throttle before cleaning was very bouncy, now it's very stable.

The bouncy throttle could have played into account when trying the E88 fuel.

I may have noticed a small decrease in fuel economy, and the price savings for E88 vs. E87 were not worth it.
I don't understand what you mean by "the fuel trims going positive."

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not the engine is the issue when running on gasoline with more ethanol. Ethanol has a corrosive action on fuel-system components, magnesium, aluminum and rubber so the gaskets, seals, filters will fail rather than the engine since the Cruze was design for normal gasoline.
Actually the Cruze is designed for E15, not just E10. The article I linked in one of my prior posts argues the point that more ethanol actually helps cool the engine, and so the argument that turbos can be tuned more easily for higher ethanol fuels, that they actually can run better on them, helping them avoid pulling timing.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not interested in running more Ethanol in it. But thanks for the reference to the kit.

It is just that stock it runs from what I have been experiencing better on 88 octane E15 than any other fuel I've used, including 91 octane E0.....with the exception of 93 octane E10. That seems to run just a bit better in temperatures approaching 90 F.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by "the fuel trims going positive."
It appears that the powertrain control module is compensating for the ethanol, or additional oxygen in the exhaust by adding fuel. If you have the Torque App for Android, along with a dongle, you can watch the short term and long term fuel trims. It takes a few full tanks of pure E15 to see it, but you will see the long term start increasing positive. I did all my experiments at idle with a warm engine. Currently I'm running about 9-10% Total fuel trim, short term, plus long term with engine hot at idle.

With E15 is was higher, closer to 15% Total. It just seemed that the fuel trim response, which is slightly related to accelleration wasn't there after running 2-3 full tanks of E15.

An occasional E15 partial fill, on top of mid grade E10 89 octane or higher actually seemed to be a little beneficial. I may do some additional testing now that the throttle body has been cleaned, but I just got back from a long 1000 mile road trip, and I pulled 38 mpg @70 mph using E10 91. That's the longest run with that overall mileage that I've had since the car was new.

For the slight difference in price as Sams Club, I've been doing the premium. I just wish it was top-Tier like Kwik Trip.

I wish I would not have waited until 70,000 miles to do the plugs in this car. That made a huge difference, and I was surprised, even after reading a million threads about Spark Plugs, remember the thread? , just how easy they were to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts