Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do anyone know about the baud rate (CAN Bus speed or whatever) that every control module connects each other? Because I was thinking to do a LT (L83) swap from years with a 10l80 (because the 8l is a junk than 10l and 6l has only 6 gears; and will eat the gas tank faster I think) to a 2014-15 Cruze (non-facelift)!

There will be no budget to do Holley EFI kit and digital gauges. So I thought that it will be possible to swap a old 5th gen 2015 ish L83 with stock ECU and TCM! But unlike old ones, 4th and 5th gen small blocks doesn't have separate wires to the tacho, speedo, temp, fuel level, trans shift etc. They all uses CAN Bus to communicate!

But they all GM products! So there is a chance that it will work! So there is the L83 I was talking about!
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

So do anyone has an idea? I know everyone will explode by this because there is no way to install that trans into the tunnel the Cruze! And the fuel tank is on the way to a rear axle!

But I thought this will help to someone in the world who wants to know about the CAN Bus speed! (And if I could do it; it will be fun to drive than a civic WITH A STOCK MOTOR!)

Note: Sorry for my bad English(if there's any). This will be a nightmare of a stupid guy because I'm not near the US and we have only 2 Cruzes from 2011(Mine and someone else's). And if I could do it, the government will inflate me with a pump of tax bills and I'll explode because it is a 5.3 V8 (I think you may heard a country called Sri Lanka)(And check out the prices of those engines and convert them into our money currency!)

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,941 Posts
How many tens of thousands of dollars and hundreds or thousands of hours of time do you have access to in order to do this.

Reactions: Snipesy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many tens of thousands of dollars and hundreds or thousands of hours of time do you have access to in order to do this.
IDK. But this is just a stupid nightmare I came and searching forever after seeing the LT 5.3 and 6.2 engines are aluminum! So I don't have any budget yet.

My first thought was to simply buy a Chevy SS / Commodore or a Caprice! But after seen my Cruze; I instantly came with a LS swap. And I found that LT has DI with more power and more MPG!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd love to see that.
Ah; just remembered that we don't have any SS/Commodore or Caprice. And there is only 2 Escalades to the whole country. And the Commodore tax bill would be 4x the car price. And if you saw, there is no gas(petrol) or even diesel to my car. Only 20l per week! And that 6.2 will eat that in 10s🤣

It's hard to find even any gm car except that cruze made by Suzuki in 2001(And some aveos)

So I should come to US somehow to buy a SS and/or to swap the engine!
But those SS are so rare in the US thus so expensive and I can do even a LT4 swap to a newly bought(used) Cruze and make it like 1000hp for that price! (Seriously; look at the prices here or somewhere else)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Chevy Impala,like 2008 era, had a transverse LS v8 but full cast iron
Yeah. That 9th gen impala SS, Monte Carlo SS and some other cars (I don't remember) had the LS4 which is the only transverse LS in the world! It had a 4T65-HD and a TRANSVERSE ONLY BELL HOUSING. So that's the catch. That 4T65 is mostly at the limit. And 4 gears + 5.3 V8 is even bad than a 5.3 with a 6l80!

Doesn't have a good aftermarket support and also hard to find those LS4 engines with a good usable condition!

And there is the torque steer(I think). So with 303 hp, it will go pretty bad!

And finally; there is no point swapping a V8 without that good old rear end; floor it like you wanna to catch a Bugatti and eat your rear tires, brakes and the full fuel tank!

Anyway. do anyone have any idea about that CAN Bus thing? And I found that normal OBDii scanners can't read BCM and other computer codes(Except ECU) because of that CAN Speed?

·
The Nuclear Option
5,623 Posts
Ah; just remembered that we don't have any SS/Commodore or Caprice. And there is only 2 Escalades to the whole country. And the Commodore tax bill would be 4x the car price. And if you saw, there is no gas(petrol) or even diesel to my car. Only 20l per week! And that 6.2 will eat that in 10s🤣

It's hard to find even any gm car except that cruze made by Suzuki in 2001(And some aveos)

So I should come to US somehow to buy a SS and/or to swap the engine!
But those SS are so rare in the US thus so expensive and I can do even a LT4 swap to a newly bought(used) Cruze and make it like 1000hp for that price! (Seriously; look at the prices here or somewhere else)
What country do you live in?

·
The Nuclear Option
5,623 Posts
I think you should check about it under my profile picture and the name (After the registered thing there is a country flag), in my profile info or the bottom paragraph of the original post(question)!
That's a really long name for a country.

Sorry I asked...

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
The problem is the platform messages need to match perfectly.

What those platform messages look like varies vehicle to vehicle.... Most of them are the same but its the special cases that get you.

The general approach is you use an interceptor (think MITM). These can be $10,000 each assuming one exists.

A purpose built box will be $150,000 to $1,000,000 territory depending on needed features.

USD of course.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problem is the platform messages need to match perfectly.

What those platform messages look like varies vehicle to vehicle.... Most of them are the same but its the special cases that get you.

The general approach is you use an interceptor (think MITM). These can be $10,000 each assuming one exists.

A purpose built box will be $150,000 to $1,000,000 territory depending on needed features.

USD of course.
Sorry; I was thinking to change the topic! So is it possible to use a Holley EFI system and use other original computers?

Or just easy to LSA swap or 5.3 aluminum (Aluminium) swap with a Holley EFI kit and make the gauges work somehow(A 6l80 or 6l90 is better)!

Because I got fainted for like 1 week after seen the price of 1,000,000$ in LKR (Seriously; It's 360,084,800 LKR)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're better off not using the OEM entirely.
You mean not to use anything like the stock bcm, gauges, radio or anything right?
Ok so what about ditching out the ECM and TCM? And use other modules except the gauges?

Like using other body functions but with separate gauges for speed and tacho?

And did someone saw how Western Champlin cummins swapped a mustang but keeping the stock bcm and what not?

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
You mean not to use anything like the stock bcm, gauges, radio or anything right?
Ok so what about ditching out the ECM and TCM? And use other modules except the gauges?

Like using other body functions but with separate gauges for speed and tacho?

And did someone saw how Western Champlin cummins swapped a mustang but keeping the stock bcm and what not?
Same problem. Simpler. But same problem.

Many modules rely entirely on CAN. You can’t just apply 12V to a wire and expect everything to turn on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Same problem. Simpler. But same problem.

Many modules rely entirely on CAN. You can’t just apply 12V to a wire and expect everything to turn on.
So I think this is why no one swap engines on newer cars! And they simply buy older cars and swap or modify the one came with!

So it could be(is) easier to swap a LS or a LT to a c10 than a BMW right?

So then I will try to find a way to transverse LFX with 6t70 or the 2.0 gas(petrol) engine swap! Because it will be way easier and maybe closer on the CAN s****!

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
So I think this is why no one swap engines on newer cars! And they simply buy older cars and swap or modify the one came with!
Pretty much yes.

It is obviously very possible. But the development time is just outrageous and not worth it.

If you have a background in automotive EE stuff then you could probably DIY it. A 3D printer and turnkey design company is all you need.

The problem is if you can do those sorts of things you are better off working in industry and then just buy your dream car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts