Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,109 Posts
Once I have a spring that doesn't allow the car to lean so far it shoves the front ground effects into the ground (on a 20mph turn in my subdivison), I am excited to see how my '81 handles, as I have brand new B6 shocks as well.

While the shaft sizes weren't any different - the fact they didn't come out of the box fully compressed like the OEM front shocks came out of my car was a plus (they also weren't attached at the top)...**** of a quality product.

When the time comes, these will likely be my strut/shock of choice.

I do with they were available for my Cavalier.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
The factory shocks on many cars are a compromise. People want good handling but without the tautness that comes will it.
The only one I've really noticed that isn't are the struts on my Volt - the weight of the batteries keep the CG low enough to where the dampers can be much softer, while retaining very minimal body roll.

It's quite exceptional, really.

Reactions: 10488

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
CG doesn't really have anything to do with dampers though. Curb weight would, but that would only suggest stiffer dampers. I think you're confusing dampers with roll bars.
No, I'm not.

Softer dampers will allow for more body roll (assuming the springs are matched accordingly).

If your CG is at a typical height, you will incur more body roll than if your CG is much closer to the ground, with the same dampers, because your rotational moment will be greater.

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
I can absolutely state that the ride is not "much harsher" for the B6s on the Cruze. It is stiffer, but it feels sporty, more like a BMW, not harsh by any means. I find that I can now run the tires at OEM sidewall pressure and the ride is quite nice.
Firm, but not crashy, is probably what I'd guess it is like.

I have the B6s on my '81 Camaro, and despite being a double wishbone and leaf spring setup (granted, all the suspension is new, but is on Hotchkis springs front/rear), it rides absolutely excellent.

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
Tire Rack appears to have the rear B6 struts available for purchase. Fronts are backordered.

Summit Racing lists the estimated ship date of the front struts as 12/17/18

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
My summit order keeps getting pushed back, I have had them on order for 3 + months now. I kick my self in the ass about 8-10 months ago Tire rack listed the fronts and rears as discontinued and on clearance and they were like 100.00 Ea but only had 2 of each then when I went back about 2 weeks later they were out of stock, but its good to see they have them listed back on the sight.
Ahh, so that's what they're doing. Was similar when I was watching the in-stock dates for my Dakota Digital gauges (which I had ordered through a seller on eBay, but the dates would have still aligned), and it was amazing to see how much they'd move around.

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
I'm still kind of curious why Bilstein drags their feet on making/shipping them.

I had my Camaros' B6s from Tire Rack in two days.

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
Does the Cruze not have any kind of "easy" method of retention of the center shaft?

When I changed out the front struts on my brother's Mustang earlier this year, the stock center shafts basically had a slot for a flathead screwdriver. The Koni yellows have a hex, which makes it a lot easier to hold it still.

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
Gotcha, this is on the new struts?

I think they actually make a socket that is open in the center to allow an allen wrench to fit. The Konis on the Mustang were too tall, especially since its an actual hex up top, but they only needed to go to 85 ft-lbs - pretty easy to do (guesstimating) with the 24mm wrench for the nut, due to its length.

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
So even stock is better than the garbage I had to deal with:

The Konis were far superior to that:

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
It worked on one side, but the other side it started to "strip out" to the point where the screwdriver (a big long one, I must add) would just pop right out. My big M18 impact would just spin the nut and shaft together too - I got lucky that my air compressor was a bit low on air that gave my IR air impact just the right combination of slower speed and the proper ugga-duggas to pop it loose from the shaft.

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
I'm still running the Bilsteins if anyone's curious. They're still flawless. A little noisy in the back when it's below 10 degrees F, but otherwise they've been flawless.
Better yet, the rear shocks are suddenly available again (Summit Racing and Tire Rack both have them in stock, though the latter you'll have to search by the PN, as they don't show them as fitting the Cruze for whatever reason).

I bought a pair, just for when the time comes. I'll grab the struts later (or now, haven't decided).

Pen Writing implement Musical instrument Office supplies Writing instrument accessory

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
That's good to hear - should deal with the extra ~3-400 lbs the Diesel lugs around at all times.

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
Hello everyone i am pretty sure i will be ordering the b4s as the 6s are not available anymore and i dont need the extra love i think the 4s will greatly improve the drive over the never changed 200k miles struts that have been thru 2 crashes now lol.

My question is besides new mounts do i need those front strut bumpers ? i cant seem to find any pictures or youtube videos if anyone replaced those or not. I plan on keeping original springs unless i need to get new ones.

Thanks.
The B6s are still available - I just bought a pair of the rear shocks off Tire Rack, since they were previously unobtanium and I didn't feel like needing them later and not being able to get them.

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
Are the 6’s just an upgraded stock version?
I would consider them to be "Stock Plus". They're meant for stock ride height, but provide a pretty sizeable performance improvement without being very detrimental to the ride (if at all).

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
yeah i saw on another shock site they were up for purchase. I dont know if i want the extra height in the back considering what xtreme said about them being taller by a little. and i have them on a ranger in the backs and i dont need if i need that much on the cruze. I think i will get the b4 set its only 314 for all 4. and i will use money spent on b6 set on strut bars that should more than compensate in performance difference for the upgrade to b6 over the 4s.
Struts/shocks don't control height - the springs do. The B6 struts/shocks will make more of a difference in performance than the strut bars could ever hope to. Both would be the best, but we're talking two very different things here. The strut bars just help stiffen up the chassis a little whereas the struts/shocks affect dampening and thus are completely dynamic in the change they create.

I just bought a RF B6 strut and will be keeping an eye out for an LF strut when I see one because those appear to backordered now. Go figure!

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
Ah yes, I do see that now - I expect that's just an initial gain and likely will drop down back to normal over time as it settles.

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
I think this thread is solely responsible for the depleted supply of B6’s…
Specifically the shocks and LF struts, apparently.

• Haha
Reactions: Bvogt and Tpstr

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
Good to know. I'll be keeping an eye out for an LF to complete the set.

· COTM Winner
7,109 Posts
Rock Auto has both fronts in stock now. Already had the RF, just bought the LF, so now I have the full set ready to go.

Reactions: 916LTZCRZ
1 - 20 of 20 Posts