Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening All,

I know wall outlet charger is the most superior but in terms of car which is better?

I ask because I once used a USB charger in my car but noticed sometimes the battery life would actually go down. (Say if i was using GPS) I know it's not the cable because I've used that same cable in the house that issue doesn't happen so the only thing i could conclude to is that the power coming out of the port isn't strong enough.....

Of course I assumed the USB port in the car was designed for say....music on a flash drive which doesn't require that much power to function...

Any advise would be helpful

·
Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Use a traditional 12v car charger. You get far more amps to your phone that way.

·
Premium Member
24,131 Posts
The newer phones have a lot more power requirements.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,805 Posts
Can confirm - My iPhone 6 will run down the battery if I use GPS and the screen is on while plugged into the car. I guess the larger screens eat a lot of juice - my old 4 would still charge.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
This reply will get a bit off topic, but I figured maybe some of you might find it helpful.

If you're concerned with extending your phone's battery life as much as possible (and I don't mean on a per charge basis, I mean its overall life), then you could avoid using car chargers when ever possible. They typically provide too much power to the phone and can decrease the overall life of the battery. You should always use the recommended charger for the phone. An exception to this would be the new "fast charger" wall adapters that comes with some new phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S6. They provide increased voltage and amperage to the phone to charge it faster. This is providing the same negative effect to the battery as a car charger would. I use the wall adapter from my old Galaxy S4 to charge my Galaxy S6.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not sure what the AMPs are for the USB but I'm sure the voltage is probably like your wall charger 5v. The issue is not voltage but AMPs. Most car chargers for USB cigarette/power outlets use to be 1amp at 5v. Newer ones are 2amps. You need to look the power plug for your phone. See what the voltage and amp are and then find a adapter to match it.

If I use the GPS on my phone it charges very slowly about 1 percent a hour. So if you start with a charged phone it should stayed charged when plugged in if you have enough power it shouldn't drain down.

Basically you should be able to power your phone without the battery if you have the correct adapter if they were designed that way.

I have also seen after market cables not allow the full Amps need for your phone. That could also be a problem if you are using a aftermarket cable.

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
If you're concerned with extending your phone's battery life as much as possible (and I don't mean on a per charge basis, I mean its overall life), then you could avoid using car chargers when ever possible. They typically provide too much power to the phone and can decrease the overall life of the battery.
I would expect the internal charge controller to do any current limiting needed. What usually kills batteries is to leave them on a charge (at 100%) for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Car charger that I have used is Bestek power inverter. I used to charge camera in car when camping outside. Power inverter is such a tool can meet all charge requirements when travelling or camping. It is very easy to use, just connect it with car cigarette lighter charger outlet. Maybe you can catch more information about this tool on Bestekmall. Hope this point is useful to you.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Person really has to get a "smart" charger, with the newer phones the 1/2 amp max out of the cruze USB just isn't enough, the smart chargers are a variable output and can charge at the fast rate, with android phones you need to look for the QUALCOMM spec.
the phone and charger talk to each other allowing a higher voltage than 5V to fast charge

·
Registered
168 Posts
Lmao, come on now, it's 2017 and some people still believe charging a phone in the car is bad for it? Newer phone have internal capacitors and software that won't allow for overcharging. I always stick with name brand chargers and have a Samsung fast car charger that I've been using with my note 5 for over a year and a half.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.