Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 chevy cruze LT 1.4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyyy guys. New user here.

So recently ive been having car troubles. Lemme explain some of the troubles i have had with my cruze:
Thermostat
Coolant leak
Oil leak
Head gasket crack.

So, because im a cheap person😭I DIY’d the thermostat. It looked fairly easy. At the time there was no oil or coolant leak. So i figured. What could go wrong? The car ran flawlessly for a good 2 weeks. The reason i changed it was because the temperature gauge stood on cold. And the check engine light came on, took it to autozone and it was the thermostat. So boom! Two weeks pass. The car overheats, and smoke comes out the front. I stop immediately,open the hood and it turns out i didnt clip in the hose all the way, and coolant was escaping. connected it. Refilled coolant. Everything fine.
but then it overheats again and this time im fed up so i just took it to the mechanic. So to make a long story short, he says i got 2 leaks. Charges me$350. Changes the front of the engine and tells me that whoever changed it the first time, screwed me over by using the wrong gasket.. which is funny because i took it to the dealership andnthey did a head gasket fix at around 90,000 miles...
but anyway I drive back home. It still overheats. Take it back to him. He tells me its the headgasket and thats $1400 to fix. Or 2,000 to get a new engine.I only have 37,0000 miles on it. I just got the headgasket fixed @ 90,000 miles. Im realllyyyy pissed at this point. So im just like ok fix it. He calls me back and says he cant fix it , there is a crack on it. Im REALLY pissed at this point. I say go ahead and make the swap. Now i have a few questions.
will it drive better? Because i always get this feeling it was a bit weak.
Will the infamous ticking noise stop?
What mods should i get? I was thinking a bnr tune. Mind you i have ZERO knowledge of this and i was just doing some reading on it. It seems pretty cool. This is a stock car. I want to make it as unstock as possible for the loww loww.
thank you in advance guys!

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,462 Posts
Heyyy guys. New user here.

So recently ive been having car troubles. Lemme explain some of the troubles i have had with my cruze:
Thermostat
Coolant leak
Oil leak
Head gasket crack.

So, because im a cheap person😭I DIY’d the thermostat. It looked fairly easy. At the time there was no oil or coolant leak. So i figured. What could go wrong? The car ran flawlessly for a good 2 weeks. The reason i changed it was because the temperature gauge stood on cold. And the check engine light came on, took it to autozone and it was the thermostat. So boom! Two weeks pass. The car overheats, and smoke comes out the front. I stop immediately,open the hood and it turns out i didnt clip in the hose all the way, and coolant was escaping. connected it. Refilled coolant. Everything fine.
but then it overheats again and this time im fed up so i just took it to the mechanic. So to make a long story short, he says i got 2 leaks. Charges me$350. Changes the front of the engine and tells me that whoever changed it the first time, screwed me over by using the wrong gasket.. which is funny because i took it to the dealership andnthey did a head gasket fix at around 90,000 miles...
but anyway I drive back home. It still overheats. Take it back to him. He tells me its the headgasket and thats $1400 to fix. Or 2,000 to get a new engine.I only have 37,0000 miles on it. I just got the headgasket fixed @ 90,000 miles. Im realllyyyy pissed at this point. So im just like ok fix it. He calls me back and says he cant fix it , there is a crack on it. Im REALLY pissed at this point. I say go ahead and make the swap. Now i have a few questions.
will it drive better? Because i always get this feeling it was a bit weak.
Will the infamous ticking noise stop?
What mods should i get? I was thinking a bnr tune. Mind you i have ZERO knowledge of this and i was just doing some reading on it. It seems pretty cool. This is a stock car. I want to make it as unstock as possible for the loww loww.
thank you in advance guys!
Welcome Aboard!(y)

You need to look at the mileages you posted. They don't jive.
$2000 for a new installed engine - must be a fairy godmother.
Crack in what, the gasket or the head?
Drive better? With a new engine? Maybe.

Fix the car before you consider wasting money on performance upgrades.

Read through some of these:
Gen1 DIY Tutorial Library
2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

How-To: Engine Swap - 2011 ECO MT to 2014 ECO MT
Cruzen2.0 - Part 1 (Initial Build)
Cruzen2.0 - Part 2 (Gradual Mods, Upgrades, and Repairs)
TRIFECTA: The 2.0L Turbo 300HP Cruze

LUJ/LUV engine swap compatibility

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
2014 chevy cruze LT 1.4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome Aboard!(y)

You need to look at the mileages you posted. They don't jive.
$2000 for a new installed engine - must be a fairy godmother.
Crack in what, the gasket or the head?
Drive better? With a new engine? Maybe.

Fix the car before you consider wasting money on performance upgrades.

Read through some of these:
Gen1 DIY Tutorial Library
2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

How-To: Engine Swap - 2011 ECO MT to 2014 ECO MT
Cruzen2.0 - Part 1 (Initial Build)
Cruzen2.0 - Part 2 (Gradual Mods, Upgrades, and Repairs)
TRIFECTA: The 2.0L Turbo 300HP Cruze

LUJ/LUV engine swap compatibility

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.
Lol sorry about the mishap i was watching my daughter at the time. So i basically overpaid for the engine swap? He was gonna do timing belt change, oil change and everything else for $2000? Its not a new engine either. Like new new. It has 81k on it. And i think he said it had a crack on the gasket. Not too sure.

·
Super Moderator
9,462 Posts
Lol sorry about the mishap i was watching my daughter at the time. So i basically overpaid for the engine swap? He was gonna do timing belt change, oil change and everything else for $2000? Its not a new engine either. Like new new. It has 81k on it. And i think he said it had a crack on the gasket. Not too sure.
81k on the replacement engine - So how many miles on the car?
If he actually acquired and installed the engine, replaced the serpentine drive belt (there is no timing belt, it is a chain) and changed the oil for $2000 you got a deal assuming everything works. Also if the engine is not running and he changes the valve cover, it is quite possible he will need to change it again. I say that as he is not able to test it (AFAIK) for a blown vacuum regulator which is a common issue. Again, read this and watch the video in it: 2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

Back to the crack. Is it the gasket, the valve cover, or the head? If the gasket area is leaking it may actually be a different issue.

·
Registered
2014 chevy cruze LT 1.4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
81k on the replacement engine - So how many miles on the car?
If he actually acquired and installed the engine, replaced the serpentine drive belt (there is no timing belt, it is a chain) and changed the oil for $2000 you got a deal assuming everything works. Also if the engine is not running and he changes the valve cover, it is quite possible he will need to change it again. I say that as he is not able to test it (AFAIK) for a blown vacuum regulator which is a common issue. Again, read this and watch the video in it: 2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

Back to the crack. Is it the gasket, the valve cover, or the head? If the gasket area is leaking it may actually be a different issue.
There is about 137,000 miles on the car itself. And tbh i have no idea. He just called me so and said head gasket had a crack on it. Im pretty knowledgeable when it comes to doing minor repairs but when it involves the engine or transmission im a lost bird in a forest lol. & thanks for the link ill give it a watch/read.

·
Registered
654 Posts
How did you bleed the air out of the system after you pulled the thermostat?

I just purchased a BNR tune myself, I'll let you know how it goes

·
Registered
2014 chevy cruze LT 1.4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Basically ran it without the coolant cap for like 7-9 mins. I went the long way. I used distilled water to make sure i flushed it good. There is a video on youtube i followed.

·
Super Moderator
9,462 Posts
You may have to "burp" the system two to three times. He kind of refers to that at the end. And remember, technically as long as coolant level is above the hose inlet at the bottom of the surge tank, when cold, it is considered 'full' . Just keep the coolant level 1/2"-1" above the lower tank hose. Check it first thing in the morning. The mark (molded arrow in picture) on the tank is the maximum level when hot, not cold, so don't overfill as you will get coolant smells in the vehicle. If you are curious as to the amount of expansion that occurs, look at the level before you start the car and then again about 1/2 hour into a drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Dude I’m bout to get dyno tuned on Monday.. I’ll let you know my numbers and performance and please do as well with that tune and how it works!! Please!! Haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts