Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
That was an amazing video! Thank you so much for sharing that with us. Absolutely loved watching it!

Sent from my last surviving brain cell

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Since I have been in these plants before, not totally new me. But kind of hints how cars built today are for production in contrast to maintenance.

Gathered their stamping operation far exceeds their vehicle production, the everything except for the trunk lid, doors, hood, and front fenders is tack welded together. Ha, a lot easier to tack weld than to de-tact weld for replacing panels. Then the entire body is painted the same color before any part is installed. If you want to repaint your Cruze and make it look factory stock, have to remove everything first.

First major component installed is the wiring harness, ha, talk to people with a wiring harness problem buried beneath all that stuff, can't get at it. Or doing work on the instrument panel or the engine, let's use the word, inaccessible.

Ha, for me, the most enjoyable part of this video was watching them install the rear seat lower cushion. Would love to see a video of a couple of guys trying to remove it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Since I have been in these plants before, not totally new me. But kind of hints how cars built today are for production in contrast to maintenance.

Gathered their stamping operation far exceeds their vehicle production, the everything except for the trunk lid, doors, hood, and front fenders is tack welded together. Ha, a lot easier to tack weld than to de-tact weld for replacing panels. Then the entire body is painted the same color before any part is installed. If you want to repaint your Cruze and make it look factory stock, have to remove everything first.

First major component installed is the wiring harness, ha, talk to people with a wiring harness problem buried beneath all that stuff, can't get at it. Or doing work on the instrument panel or the engine, let's use the word, inaccessible.

Ha, for me, the most enjoyable part of this video was watching them install the rear seat lower cushion. Would love to see a video of a couple of guys trying to remove it.
Man you're totally right, they should really install the wire harness into a conduit and just run it alongside the roof liner for easy access..........

OP: Thanks for the cool video.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Man you're totally right, they should really install the wire harness into a conduit and just run it alongside the roof liner for easy access..........

OP: Thanks for the cool video.
NO matter where the wiring harness is installed there will always be the one "spot" that you can not get to. If you really want something difficult to figure out try a Boeing 777 with wiring from the seats to the flightdeck everything is has to have wires and it can be really hairy as I work on the assembly line installing the interiors of these fine aircraft.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NO matter where the wiring harness is installed there will always be the one "spot" that you can not get to. If you really want something difficult to figure out try a Boeing 777 with wiring from the seats to the flightdeck everything is has to have wires and it can be really hairy as I work on the assembly line installing the interiors of these fine aircraft.
That has to be fun to watch too they got any vide9s on building those.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sweet video! Thank you!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Panels are spot welded not tack welded, big difference.
Also this is standard production for decades. Roof, quarters, floor pans, firewall, bracing etc were spot welded on my 1966 Chevelle.

·
Administrator
25,205 Posts
The video is an excellent attempt to give you a feel for the factory. Unfortunately it really doesn't do justice to the whole operation. If you want to understand the whole operation go on the next CruzeTalk factory tour. :) You won't be disappointed.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Aircraft I work on uses all white colored wire, try tracing a wire when bundled up in a harness. Possible, but takes a few seconds longer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts