Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Hard to pay attention when drooling over the entire manufacturing setup. :th_coolio:
When one is given the opportunity to tour facilities like this, there's a chance that the opportunity may not come up again in one's lifetime. At that point, you need to balance how much time you spend looking through a camera lens, and how much time you spend actually taking in everything that's happening around you so you can remember.

Some people go on vacations, tours, or travels and miss much of what's there because they're much too focused on capturing the memory on "film." I wanted to be sure that I had enough to talk about as well as enough to show.

·
Administrator
25,195 Posts
On a side note, the other major trouble area seems to be software and programming related, and this is for all manufacturers. Getting the right algorithms and programming for all the powertrain components seems to be tougher than one thinks, especially for all the varying driving styles and environmental conditions. Nowadays even the radio and climate control can have software related problems, revisions and re-flashes.
As a software engineer I can safely say that even though individual components of the software can be easy to design write and test, when you start combining them into real-time systems with randomly timed expected as well as random unexpected inputs you can get really strange interactions and bugs showing up. These interactions are almost impossible to recreate on demand and as a result the bugs they reveal are also almost impossible to detect and correct. GM just had this problem and was forced to recall the 2013 Malibu ECO for this very reason. I strongly suspect there is as yet an undetected software bug in Toyota's throttle control system in some of their older vehicles. (cwerdna - I read NASA's report and neither NASA or NHTSA ruled out a software bug. They just said they couldn't find one.) The only way to minimize this issue in software is to adopt the JPL/NASA programming culture and style where there are real restrictions on how and what software designers and coders are allowed to do as well as what happens when an error is detected. JPL and NASA blame and correct the process, not the people. JPL and NASA spent over a decade developing their culture and processes. I think most car manufacturers are still developing this culture, but the sooner they get there the sooner our software driven vehicles will be bug free. For anyone interested, JPL has release the non-proprietary version of their standards at JPL C Coding Standard - JPL Laboratory for Reliable Software.

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Our tax dollars built a nice plant.
Which is now building excellent motors. I'd call that a good investment.

Sent from my Bulletproof_Doubleshot using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Administrator
25,195 Posts
Our tax dollars built a nice plant.
Yes they did. Why shouldn't the United States help it's manufacturing firms? It's the only way to even the playing field in durable manufacturing with every other industrialized nation.

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
How much time did you spend with regards to looking at trans related stuff in Pontiac?
Very little. I saw a few "dyno cells" where they were testing some transmissions, saw a large room with a bunch of transmissions all over the place, but I wouldn't be the kind of guy to recognize anything in that regard.

·
Registered
679 Posts
No, did not get a chance to go in there. They would have had to blow our hair through, put us in the equivalent of hazmat suits, and it would have been too much of a hassle. Don't want any contamination entering that area if you know what I mean.
Yep. None of the tours I've been on included a visit to the paint shop.

I've seen some auto production documentaries and yes, there's a bunch of prep worked involved before you can go in and IIRC, having perfumes on can ruin paint.

(Again, if people are interested in seeing more, esp. in video format, I've pointed to a bunch of TV shows to record and a YouTube video of Camaro production. In checking my TiVo, I can see there's a Porsche Panamera Ultimate Factories ep and a BMW (Z4) ep both on 9/5 on NGC. I've seen the BMW Z4 ep, but not the Panamera ep.)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Very little. I saw a few "dyno cells" where they were testing some transmissions, saw a large room with a bunch of transmissions all over the place, but I wouldn't be the kind of guy to recognize anything in that regard.
I won't get into details but there is lot of politics between engine and transmission groups. Wouldn't have been surprised if trans was skipped. (no fault of Tom though)

Did they show you the large tilt cell in the non-firing dyno area? It used to simulate high g manuevers or grade testing. I'm thinking you likely breezed through when my dinghy tow testing was running, simulating running Baker and Davis Dam grades. Probably passed you in the hall when shuttling between firing and non-firing wings.

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I won't get into details but there is lot of politics between engine and transmission groups. Wouldn't have been surprised if trans was skipped. (no fault of Tom though)

Did they show you the large tilt cell in the non-firing dyno area? It used to simulate high g manuevers or grade testing. I'm thinking you likely breezed through when my dinghy tow testing was running, simulating running Baker and Davis Dam grades. Probably passed you in the hall when shuttling between firing and non-firing wings.
In all fairness, the place is absolutely massive, lol. You get a workout just looking at everything in all of the sections. Tom did walk me through a place that sounds a little like what you were referring to. I didn't see the large tilt cell. It's a high chance that you did pass me, lol.

If I'm ever through there again, we'll have to meet up.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Nothing ever came up or was mentioned about the 2011 shifting problems?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow AMAZING write up Andrei! Thank you so much for the hard work both you and OnlyTaurus put into this forum! It's truly a blessing to have people like you guys to help people like me that need a better understanding about our cars. After seeing all these pictures I've definitely added going to the Lordstown plant to my bucket list! I'd also like to thank Tom Read for giving you the opportunity to share this great experience with us! I'm a proud American and Cruze owner!

P.S- How was that Caddy CTS-V??? :th_coolio:

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Wow AMAZING write up Andrei! Thank you so much for the hard work both you and OnlyTaurus put into this forum! It's truly a blessing to have people like you guys to help people like me that need a better understanding about our cars. After seeing all these pictures I've definitely added going to the Lordstown plant to my bucket list! I'd also like to thank Tom Read for giving you the opportunity to share this great experience with us! I'm a proud American and Cruze owner!

P.S- How was that Caddy CTS-V??? :th_coolio:
How was the CTS-V?

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/32-cruze-owners-other-cars-toys/8417-2012-cadillac-cts-v-coupe.html#post119905

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #98

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
Wow, i'm surprised they let you take so many pics (the ones I got to see before crashing multiple times) from risk of reverse engineering and such. I'll have to read it when I sit down at my computer.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Wow, i'm surprised they let you take so many pics (the ones I got to see before crashing multiple times) from risk of reverse engineering and such. I'll have to read it when I sit down at my computer.
I don't think anything that he took pics of is anything that would be considered that secretive.

If you've watched some of the documentaries that I cited in high def (e.g. Camaro and Volt assembly), you can see a lot of detail as well.

81 - 100 of 131 Posts