Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Chevy Cruze Illuminated Door Sills

48K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  Mytneto 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed Illuminated Door Sills on a Cruze? I am thinking about either the official GM ones or aftermarket sills. The official GM ones only say Chevrolet but the aftermarket ones say Cruze.

GM quotes .5 hours labor to install either non-illuminated or the illuminated ones, so I'm assuming that the wiring is easy. I would love to see the instructions for the GM illuminated sills. Anyone have them they could upload or send me?

#6 ·
Thanks for the pictures. MKENC, did you install the sills yourself or did you have the dealer install them.

Here are a couple of pictures of 3rd party sills, they are stick-on kind that press on top of the current sills.

If I'm not mistaken the GM ones actually replace the current door sills and are replacement not stick-on ones. Much more professional looking.

Does anyone have the GM instructions for installing these?

#13 ·
I found the stick-on kind on ebay
Door Sill Scuff Plate Chrome LED Chevrolet Cruze Holden - eBay (item 320531839026 end time Jan-07-11 20:38:58 PST)

LED Door sill scuff plates For Chevy Cruze 08-10 - eBay (item 250731716254 end time Jan-22-11 22:22:58 PST)

They are both from China, if you're ok with ordering China parts.
I agree with ChevyPower that the genuine chevy ones are expensive, but they do look cool. The stick-on kind are $50-$60.

I haven't bought any yet but wanted to know how hard it was to wire them in.

#14 ·
I found the stick-on kind on ebay
Door Sill Scuff Plate Chrome LED Chevrolet Cruze Holden - eBay (item 320531839026 end time Jan-07-11 20:38:58 PST)

LED Door sill scuff plates For Chevy Cruze 08-10 - eBay (item 250731716254 end time Jan-22-11 22:22:58 PST)

They are both from China, if you're ok with ordering China parts.
I agree with ChevyPower that the genuine chevy ones are expensive, but they do look cool. The stick-on kind are $50-$60.

I haven't bought any yet but wanted to know how hard it was to wire them in.
$400+ for Genuine but it sure looks amazing! I haven't seen any DIY's or any instruction manuals on wiring this up. I going to assume you have to wire it up to your interior light so when you open the door it lights up with everything else. Then obviously your ground and positive.

Maybe someone with experience doing this can speak up on it???

#15 ·
OEM illuminated sill plates

You can buy the OEM illuminated sill plates from Chevy dealerships online. Has anyone bought these themselves and installed them? Do they stick onto the original threshold or do they come built-in to an entirely new plastic threshold? Can anyone post instructions if they've done this?

#16 ·
Sorry...I ordered mine with my Cruze....figured after spending that kind of $$$, a little more wasn't going to break me up. I asked the dealership about it, and they said it was about a half hour install....cannot be much to it.

#19 ·
Instructions would be nice. I kinda want some for mine, but I don't know if its worth putting money like this into a lease, and there is no way the wife would ok the dealer to put them in, unless it helped the value of the car.

#20 ·
Something you guys may have missed is that the ones on Ebay mount on the 'painted' sill, and the ones from GM are on the plastic sill. The ones on Ebay, you would have to run the wire into you car under the plastic sill. You will be able to SEE that wire, unless you drill a hole on the metal sill(I would not recommend it). 400 bucks is alot for something like this even though it does look nice.

#21 ·
agree that is looks really cool, but'd i'd much rather put my 400 towards something else for the car.

#24 ·
Hi all, just joined up to ask which wire did you tap into to get the LED Scuff plates to work? I've read you need to use the dome light but where does the wire that leads to that run from? Isn't there something under the dash that i can tap into?

There for a friends Holden Cruze... Also noticed that the trigger for the door lights is hidden somewhere as well lol.

#25 ·
I'm bringing this Thread back alive. The dealer had to originally order the door sills for me. Told me i would have to Pay labor, but there telling me that its gunna take pretty much all day to install them.But if its at most an hour install My car should be done at the moment. But i dont have the money to pay for labor if its gunna take all day, I need my car now. Got stuff to do has anyone got instructions yet for the DIY install??? What wires to splice into, ETC. Cause im gunna tell them to screw it ill do it myself. Hopefully someone can help me.

#26 ·
So I went to the dealer and picked my car back up i'm just going to do the install my self. they gave me the instructions that came with the Door sills. I did look in the box and the door sills look PnP. the only issue would be routing the wires and lining up the sill. When I do get around to it I will post a how to if not already done and converting the instructions into a .pdf file and see about getting that uploaded.

#28 ·
Illuminated Cupholders/Under Dash Lighting with 7 Colors to choose from. It cost almost $1,000 Total for Sill Plates and Cupholder?Under Dash Lighting and labor for them to install. My Strong Opinion is DON'T GET THESE 2 ITEMS. POSITIVES :It looks Completely Professional as if these items came with the car stock. No wires showing AT ALL even if you try to find wires its impossible to see so thumbs up for dealer install aftermarket items. When the doors open the Sill Plates are Auto Illuminated. Under Dash/Cupholder Lights can be left in the OFF Mode or you can Leave it in whichever color Mode you want and everytime the car starts they turn on in the color you leave it in, when you turn the car off it auto turns off. It also has a mode where every 5 seconds it changes through each 7 colors. The Black Button that controls the Lights is in the Arm Rest and its black to match the arm rest color perfectly and its also installed as if it came with the car stock, with no wires at all or any flaws Whatso Ever with the install. Also the little bubble Lookin Rubber Lights in the cupholder has no wires and looks Real Clean too. NEGATIVES : If its day time you dont even know that the word "CHEVROLET" is illuminated. If its dusk where the sun is going down or raining out with no sunshine you still cant tell the "CHEVROLET" is illuminated. it has to be night time to see that the sills are lighted, Only the front 2 are illuminated, the rear ones are solid aluminum rectangles. The Actual Reflection of the cupholder Lights are kinda dim, it doesnt really shine and fill the cupholder with light until night time. The Under Dash Lights actually made me angry because that was my main Reason for paying almost $1,000 for these 2 parts. They install a little square rubber piece which is basically 1" in size and same material as the cupholder lights, they are installed on the middle plastic Trim as much forward as possible on Driver and Passenger Side, they are not too Bright so even during the night it doesnt really fill the foot space with Light AND even worse the Driver Light is Behind the gas pedal and your foot will be right there next to the light blocking the shine from comming out and displaying light in the foot space area, I would think they should be placed under the dash like under the steering wheel facing down toward your feet but nope its as far forward as the tip of the plastic trim piece can go. :angry: Since the Sill Plates and Dash/Cupholder Lights are basically not visible unless its nightime i feel like i wasted money. Buy all your lighting and install it all yourself, You have as much time as you need to hide wires, make the install look clean, and to make sure you are happy with placement of your own lights. Red Car Vehicle Auto part Family car
Car Vehicle Auto part Family car Compact car
Automotive lighting Light Auto part Car Vehicle
Automotive lighting Light Car Vehicle Auto part
Trunk Auto part Car
Vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Car Auto part
Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Luxury vehicle Sports sedan
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Vehicle door

#29 ·
I installed the door sill plates myself and even though I can only see them at night they're worth it in my opinion. Of course I paid way less than retail for them. Also, LED strips work better for foot well illumination, only downside though is if you have to take the dash apart it might be difficult to keep them attached. This is why I paid $4 for 4 strips. Cupholder, if you want to do this... DIODE DYNAMICS has a great cupholder kit. They still need to test fit for the cruze but theirs is hidden (meaning you can't see a bulb)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.