Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned other new cars, and other cars in this segment, and when our brand new acadia, after constantly fighting with the dealership for 7 months just to have it still not reliable and working right, I decided to buy a car I could drive.

The car it's unfortunately technically replacing is a 2017 GMC acadia denali. This car has been the worst car I've driven, owned, or witnessed existing. Every electrical system has needed work since the car was bought, when we bought the car we couldn't even fill it with gas, it rattles like crazy, and the seat and wheel move to sandwich you between them.

The cruze is slower, and smaller, but I appreciate the currently 11MPG difference the cruze offers, and it is at least able to be driven. Initial quality on both cars is worse than my 2007 Saturn ion was, and I don't know how they were offered for sale in this condition. The cruze has terrible headlights, and will need to be addressed, the HIDs on the acadia aren't much better. There was a stuck HVAC vent in the cruze, the headlights were fogged up, it was delivered with a low tire (low by 5 PSI), and the dexos was clearly not doing the ecotec any favors in 8 degree weather. The AWD acadia had been relegated to "beater with a heater" status and isn't driven unless we have no other choice, and the cruze is our reliable winter car.

Despite being slow, the cruze is the second best handling vehicle I've driven, behind the denali, and the overall quality feel/fit and finish is nice. I appreciate the top of the dash not pushing in, unlike the denali.

The car it's more directly replacing is the Saturn ion, and a 2011 jetta my wife drove is the closest competitor we've driven (besides older cruzes). The cruze is a marked improvement on the Saturn in almost every way. I'm not a fan of how there aren't the channels in the body for the fuel/brake lines to run in protected, and I'm not impressed it's needed immediate repairs, and the cruze is slower than the Saturn, which while was tuned, was still on 87 octane, and not heavily modified. The Saturn was dead reliable, only requiring 2 wheel bearings to be replaced outside of warranty/normal wear parts in 10 years/80k miles of ownership, and they were prematurely worn in part due to a bad ground connection repaired under warranty. I hope the cruze is this reliable. Also, the Saturn could tow, very well, 3300LB, and with what I've heard about the cruze's engine, I'm not planning on towing with it.

The jetta had a quality feel to it, and the seats on the jetta seemed much more durable, and had leatherette material, but things kept breaking, and we bought it just outside it's factory warranty, so there should have been no reason for this, IMO. Another odd problem the jetta had is it was cold in the winter and the defroster couldn't keep up on road trips, despite there being plenty of heat coming out of the vents because the door seals were so poorly designed it was breezy in the car.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase, it's $2000 cheaper than my Saturn was, and better fit/finish, along with having some equipment my Saturn didn't (DIC, tire pressure monitor, stabilitrac, android auto), but the Saturn was fully loaded besides leather. It was only $5000 more than a 3 year old jetta, which was nowhere near fully loaded.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
The cruze has terrible headlights
LS? LT? Premier?

I find the projector headlights to be excellent.

headlights were fogged up
Vented design - this is normal. Condensation from a humid day will burn off when headlights are used.

The Gen 2 Cruze feels detuned in normal driving, but foot to the floor, it's a 7.7s 0-60 car. Faster than a 2.2L Ion; slower than a 2.4L Ion. Should be better on gas than either.

Hopefully you have a good experience with your new Cruze. VW tends to build a nice car in initial quality that falls into pieces after the warranty is up. I love the GTI, but couldn't own one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they didn't clear up for me yet after owning the car a week, so I don't know what's going on. The cruze is better on gas than my 2.2 ion, but he ion was definitely faster with a tune than a stock cruze, and I don't want to run premium, so I'm not going to tune it. I haven't even got 500 miles on the thing, yet, so I'm not putting my foot into it, yet, but all i'm finding online is 8.3 seconds to 60. I bought the ls with convenience package, so I have the uplevel lights, and I can't really see with them on a country road, and forget about seeing deer. They appear to be aimed right, but we'll see what happened once my replacement assemblies arrive from GM.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
they didn't clear up for me yet after owning the car a week, so I don't know what's going on. The cruze is better on gas than my 2.2 ion, but he ion was definitely faster with a tune than a stock cruze, and I don't want to run premium, so I'm not going to tune it. I haven't even got 500 miles on the thing, yet, so I'm not putting my foot into it, yet, but all i'm finding online is 8.3 seconds to 60. I bought the ls with convenience package, so I have the uplevel lights, and I can't really see with them on a country road, and forget about seeing deer. They appear to be aimed right, but we'll see what happened once my replacement assemblies arrive from GM.
It could be you have a bad set of headlamp housings. Also, you can't compare a performance tuned vehicle to a non-performance tuned one except to show the difference between a performance tune and a stock tune.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm actually comparing two engines in two generations of the same car platform at their peak abilities on regular grade gasoline. I think that's perfectly acceptable. I'm hoping the new housings wool improve visibility.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
@brian v this thread needs your wise contributions.

Reactions: Sunline Fan

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
@Turtle.com I have nothing to add except an LS is a lively piece of you know and is really not comparable to anything else on the market ..

Now if you were a Smurf you would be adding an LS motor to IT as you'd want to turn IT into an Australian Grocery getter ! ( UTE )

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
now that I have some miles on it and feel comfortable pushing it a little, I gave it a shakedown. it's a perfectly serviceable car, and the gas mileage is great, but it's nowhere near as fast as the Saturn was, nowhere near 6 seconds, and doesn't handle as well as, nor is as fast as the acadia

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
The Saturn was dead reliable, only requiring 2 wheel bearings to be replaced outside of warranty/normal wear parts in 10 years/80k miles of ownership, and they were prematurely worn in part due to a bad ground connection repaired under warranty.
I drove my Saturn SL for over 180K miles (mostly city) with only one problem. I had to replace the intake gasket because it had a small air leak and wouldn't pass the smog test. The gasket only cost $20 and took me a couple hours to replace. It even still had the original clutch when I traded it in. It probably would have easily gone another 100K miles, but I was ready for an upgrade. It was a super cheap car to drive and just kept going. I still miss it sometimes.

The Cruze was a nice upgrade from the Saturn for me. It has also treated me very well so far. It's a bigger car with a smaller engine and gets almost the same gas mileage. I usually got 40 MPG and occasionally as high as 42 MPG in the Saturn on the freeway. I consistently get about 38 in the Cruze on the freeway. It's not as cheap to drive as the Saturn, but it's a lot nicer.

Try running premium gas. It does make a difference in the Cruze and doesn't cost that much more.

·
2,170 Posts
now that I have some miles on it and feel comfortable pushing it a little, I gave it a shakedown. it's a perfectly serviceable car, and the gas mileage is great, but it's nowhere near as fast as the Saturn was, nowhere near 6 seconds, and doesn't handle as well as, nor is as fast as the acadia
I miss my Cobalt. I had the later LAP 2.2 Ecotec engine with that sweet, sweet 5-speed manual. It was an excellent car because it was very light at 2700 lbs, and that Ecotec engine was actually pretty potent in the midrange with a whopping 155HP and 150lbs-ft. If my Cobalt wasn't destroyed by some 50 year-old insurance guy running a red light, I would have kept it.

Attachments

Reactions: dhpnet

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it's definitely a big upgrade, no stupid sunroof in the cruze to ruin the interior. premium isn't much more? maybe not to you, but $1 more a gallon is a lot more IMO

Reactions: dhpnet

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
A tuned new Cruze would smoke an Ion, my gen 1 Cruze only gets 93 octane since I'm tuned and fill ups cost MAYBE $5-6 more, it's not a huge deal to me. A 2017 Cruze Premier RS is extremely nice and would handle better with less tire sidewall and a rear swaybar that I don't (think) the LS comes with. I think you were burned with your Acadia, which has more issues than I really think is possible, considering the new Acadias are extremely nice, and that's shining a negative light on your Cruze, which is ultimately designed by the same company...

The gen 2 Cruze is much much more refined and MUCH nicer than the gen 1, and compared to comparable trims of the Focus, Elantra, Forte, Sentra, and Corolla, a MUCH nicer car in most ways. Being that it's an "economy car" it's not going to have awesome next gen headlights, but they are a great improvement from the gen 1 reflector style headlamps. Swap in some more expensive halogens and get the cheap factory ones out and that's likely all it would need to be up to your standards. No car is perfect, and it seems by your post that that's what you expect, but unfortunately that's not how cars go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
don't expect perfect, just comparing cars, and fairly pointing out things hat I don't feel are ideal. maybe stock for stock this cruze would smoke an ion, but not my cruze and my ion. I love my cruze, and I loved my ion. ****, I even love the acadia, I think it's a marvelous car, I think there is something seriously wrong with it and it's frustrating GM isn't doing more to fix it. The cruze takes what, 12 gallons, so it would cost me $12 more per tank for 91 octane vs 87. simple math, $1 per gallon times 12 gallons...

·
Registered
414 Posts
My Cruze replaced a Dodge Neon, very similar to your Saturn Ion.
It has more low end torque, but my Neon pulled harder once I hit 4k RPM.
At least, that's what I felt.
I drove the thing much harder too, since it cost me like 1/6th the price of my Cruze, and it averaged at 23MPG.
The Cruze averages at 33MPG, mostly because I tend to drive it more careful, and I can see how to increase MPG on the dash display (which the Neon didn't do).

You can still tow with a cruze, just that, perhaps you'll need some weight in the trunk, and keep 5th gear on the highways.
And I wouldn't tow anything larger than a rowboat or small mini trailer. (~1000LBS)

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
it's definitely a big upgrade, no stupid sunroof in the cruze to ruin the interior. premium isn't much more? maybe not to you, but $1 more a gallon is a lot more IMO
I love the sunroof in my Cruze. Wouldn't have bought it without a sunroof. I open all the time, year round, but the weather here is good for that.

I have never seen premium be $1 more per gallon. Around here, its about 20-30 cents more per gallon where I fill up. I keep a spreadsheet where I log all my fill ups. In almost 4 years and 35K miles I have paid $247 more than I would have paid with regular gas. Much less than I paid for Netflix in the same time. Well worth it in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
I have never seen premium be $1 more per gallon. Around here, its about 20-30 cents more per gallon where I fill up. I keep a spreadsheet where I log all my fill ups. In almost 4 years and 35K miles I have paid $247 more than I would have paid with regular gas. Much less than I paid for Netflix in the same time. Well worth it in my opinion.
IMO I have tried premium and it does improve performance all that much but I found using mid grade for my LT and LT/RS has given me performance I am looking for. Now my tuned Eco required premium which is why I am leaving my LT and LT/RS alone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you were burned with your Acadia, which has more issues than I really think is possible, considering the new Acadias are extremely nice, and that's shining a negative light on your Cruze, which is ultimately designed by the same company...
you don't think it's possible to have problems with nice cars? try telling escalade owners that. For that matter, try telling landrover and jaguar owners that. nice cars have problems, too. if I was letting my experience with the acadia tarnish my opinion, I would have bought a kia, which has the top spot for reliability and I believe is near the top for initial quality right now. I live in a really odd area where premium is ridiculously expensive

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I love the sunroof in my Cruze. Wouldn't have bought it without a sunroof. I open all the time, year round, but the weather here is good for that. I have never seen premium be $1 more per gallon. Around here, its about 20-30 cents more per gallon where I fill up. I keep a spreadsheet where I log all my fill ups. In almost 4 years and 35K miles I have paid $247 more than I would have paid with regular gas. Much less than I paid for Netflix in the same time. Well worth it in my opinion.
I was wrong, it's not $1 more, it's $1.20 more a gallon. also, buying my ion with a sunroof was the worst decision I ever made, it broke (under warranty), and the drains kept plugging, flooding the front floor.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.