Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased my first Chevy Cruze LT ( first car). I was wondering what I can do to make sure the car lasts as long as possible? Any maintenance tips would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Like was said, oil changes. Regardless of new or used, I'd do two in 2000 miles then go with the information display at 10-15% as long as its synthetic oil that has the dexos emblem. This will make any warranty issues a bit easier to chase.

Looks at the stickies in the 1.4 engine section about hesitation and whatnot. There's a good set of iridium plugs you can change to that will make it run better overall. Ngk br8eix I believe... Not 100% on that.

If its used with a stick, get the fluid changed to ensure the level is proper. Many found that the gearbox was under filled at the plant and this caused heat buildup which made for issues.

If it were my car and an auto with more than 50k on the odometer, I'd have the transmission flushed by the dealer. Just in case the last owner drive it like a jerk without maintenance. While your there, gave them look it over for any other issues like leaking areas that might be covered or need to be addressed. Your water pumps are free for 150k. Lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Use AMSOIL full synthetic oil with a Wix oil filter.
Amsoil is a bit over kill it's not a track car? any name band full syn will work fine. Buttom line with any car really take care of it and it will take care of you. Unless lemon. This applies to most machines.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Follow the manufacturer's published service schedule. All of it.

Most people only pick and choose what they do.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts

To add to this, follow the recommendations for "severe" service in the manual.

90% of drivers fall under the severe maintenance schedule - which includes short-trip driving, stop-and-go, city driving, cold temps, etc. The regular maintenance schedule is for pretty much all-highway drivers only.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

To add to this, follow the recommendations for "severe" service in the manual.

90% of drivers fall under the severe maintenance schedule - which includes short-trip driving, stop-and-go, city driving, cold temps, etc. The regular maintenance schedule is for pretty much all-highway drivers only.
If you have a 2013 or earlier model, download the current owners manual for the 2015s and use the severe service schedule in there. The 2011-2013 manuals left out a lot of routine maintenance.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
trans,rad flush at 50k. brakes i do every 3 years or 30k miles what ever comes first or after hard track weekend. oil with a full synthetic and good filter every 5k miles. drop in double iridium plus and gap the (pre gaped is always a lie). air filter engine and cab every year.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Yep, its all in the owners, under maintenance. if you didn't get one with your Cruze, can download it on the internet, depending on the year of your Cruze.

Don't say anything about spraying all of your rubber suspension bushings with silicone, have to get the shop manual for this good advice.

Ha, whenever anybody mentions engine oil, expect at least a zillion responses. LT does have the turbo 1.4L, this definitely needs a dexos approved oil, practically just about any brand has an oil that meets these specifications.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Used! 21000 km on it. So when I get an oil change I request that they use that oil? I think I have a year of free oil changes with the dealership that I bought it at

·
Registered
310 Posts
If it's a GM dealership, they will (or at least should) use the Dexos Semi-Synthetic oil. My feeling is that this will be fine, but I would change it more often than the oil life monitor says. Maybe change at 50% or 5000 miles. I had 4 free oil changes when I bought mine new and that's what I did. Now I change it myself with either Mobil 1, Valvoline Synpower, or Pennzoil Platinum (whichever is cheaper when I go to get it) and I use Mobil 1 if they are all the same price.

I also agree with following the severe service schedule from a later model (like 2014) owners manual as other posters have suggested.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes, that's it. My '14 manual is exactly the same except 45k brake and clutch fluid flush. My '14 manual says 150k like the coolant.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The chart is a good reference, I don't really follow it for oil changes call me old school but full syn every 3000-5000 and anything else 3000. I'll pay for a little more oil before I eat up my motor. Again I'm just playing it safe. But think of it like this old oil is like liquid sand paper. My $.02

·
10,712 Posts
Severe is most the people on the road today and they don't even know it. Going to say yes to most of what is said so far with the 2015 schedule vs the 11-12 ones since they revised a few thing as parts failed under old logic or plain bad QC.

Spark plugs would be a good place to check and see if they are good and gapped right. Cabin filter as well for being used in general. Trans fluids suggested if it's unknown if the original fluid is still there and at proper level(as there is no dipstick for it).

If you get Amsoil from here it comes with the filter now. I meant to Quote that post but...

The chart is a good reference, I don't really follow it for oil changes call me old school but full syn every 3000-5000 and anything else 3000. I'll pay for a little more oil before I eat up my motor. Again I'm just playing it safe. But think of it like this old oil is like liquid sand paper. My $.02

3000 on Dexos marked vehicles is a waste for full synthetic and filter as thats conventional oil intervals. The simi syn Dexos oil we all swear against is still good for about 6000 and not too much beyond that. This is not me telling you to stop what you are doing.

The whole Amsoil and other oils in it's class aren't overkill in most cases except yours above. The oil will last past your 3 oil change scheduled intervals just fine. We usually change the filter out halfway between because it's cheap maintenance and super top side easy accessable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So your willing to put 22k miles on your amsoil or royal purple class oil and just change the filter ? Have you heard of blackstone labs (oil testing) send them a sample after 22k and see what they say. If you use something like amsoil for what it's ment for "high" performance driving track days ect. Ask the track poeple I'm sure they don't run all season on the same oil. Not sure if I'm reading that last post wrong but change your oil people it's not going to hurt anything.

The oil topic can go on forever and if you look on any forum for any car (other than race cars) the same is said run this oil for however long ect ect. Main thing is for the OP if you follow that chart and GM specs I'm sure you will be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
10,712 Posts
So your willing to put 22k miles on your amsoil or royal purple class oil and just change the filter ? Have you heard of blackstone labs (oil testing) send them a sample after 22k and see what they say. If you use something like amsoil for what it's ment for "high" performance driving track days ect. Ask the track poeple I'm sure they don't run all season on the same oil. Not sure if I'm reading that last post wrong but change your oil people it's not going to hurt anything.

The oil topic can go on forever and if you look on any forum for any car (other than race cars) the same is said run this oil for however long ect ect. Main thing is for the OP if you follow that chart and GM specs I'm sure you will be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
No one said 22K miles, that's possible but beyond the oil manufacturers wishes for warranty coverage. Your 5000 mile oil and 3 filter changes are 1/3 of an Amsoil SS oil change and 2 filters is what the price is based off of. There is blackstone labs in other oil threads here for the 1.4 Cruze/Sonic running these intervals.

Royal Purple isn't in the same class as Amsoil SS is. It's one of the many oils that cheapened themselves over the years.

A good number of us are tuned so we are pushing that High Performance envelope in stress vs stock dealer oil.

·
10,712 Posts
Like was said, oil changes. Regardless of new or used, I'd do two in 2000 miles then go with the information display at 10-15% as long as its synthetic oil that has the dexos emblem. This will make any warranty issues a bit easier to chase.

Looks at the stickies in the 1.4 engine section about hesitation and whatnot. There's a good set of iridium plugs you can change to that will make it run better overall. Ngk bKr8eix I believe... Not 100% on that.

If its used with a stick, get the fluid changed to ensure the level is proper. Many found that the gearbox was under filled at the plant and this caused heat buildup which made for issues.

If it were my car and an auto with more than 50k on the odometer, I'd have the transmission flushed by the dealer. Just in case the last owner drive it like a jerk without maintenance. While your there, gave them look it over for any other issues like leaking areas that might be covered or need to be addressed. Your water pumps are free for 150k. Lol
For the BKR8EIX plug talk

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-1-4l-turbo/21850-hesitation-gone.html

For manual trans

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/129-...627-how-change-manual-transmission-fluid.html

For Auto trans.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/129-...5-how-automatic-transmission-fluid-flush.html

Engine oil change here.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/129-engine-transmission-tutorials/544-how-cruze-oil-change-1-4t.html

Auto and manual trans can be done by dealership if not comfortable with it. Dealer did my hand carried in trans fluid as well as hand carried in engine oil the entire ownership. This route totally helps eliminate doubts of if you really did change fluids when it comes to warranty time but is overkill. I do it because I'm always in there for something that broke and at times I became a used oil horder. I would make a list of what all broke but I barely remember at this point w/o a print out. Water pumps are free as stated above, I took more than just one home, Shhhhhh. LOL! While there ask to see if negative cable was swapped out. That right there will save you some trouble and about 12 forum posts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The oil will last past your 3 oil change scheduled intervals just fine.
3x 7,500 scheduled intervals is right around 22,000? next if your saying 3x longer than my 5000 mile mark thats still 15k and lets say your running it on a "tuned" car (still not a purpose built track car) new filter or not the oil will break down before you get to 15k. If your running a modified car you should change it more anyway.

No one said 22K miles, that's possible but beyond the oil manufacturers wishes for warranty coverage.
Your 5000 mile oil and 3 filter changes are 1/3 of an Amsoil SS oil change and 2 filters is what the price is based off of
I never claimed that you should change the filter 3 times in 5000 miles, im saying on full syn oil 1 quality filter and 1 oil change = 5000 and repeat

. There is blackstone labs in other oil threads here for the 1.4 Cruze/Sonic running these intervals.
what intervals? 7,500? or 10k+

Just to be clear Im trying to say it cant be done and im not saying its wrong or right. my point for the OP whos just DD this car and there is no need to buy the high price tag amsoil. if hes really worried about the quality of the normal name band full syn oil just change it a little sooner.

we are pushing this thread off topic My bad.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.