Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I been getting a code on my 15 cruze,p0171 I believe.. system to lean. So I take it to my local dealer and they process to tell me they don't know the problem... and can't figure it out because I have a flowmaster muffler on? Makes sense-.-.. anyoje else had this problem?

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well forgot to add i run a kn filter and just that flowmaster.. Right doesn't make sense except maybe the ecu not able to pick up the proper air/fuel? Sounds fishy... but just checked the voicemail.. they left,said I was missing a intake return valve or something.. he doesn't know if that will fix it... weird?.... I had this car since 2 miles.. had the filter and muffler on this whole time-.-

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I could see mufflers causing engine lights. After all. You've changed the parameters. I can't see sensors function the same between a stock car and a modified car. There's bound to be SOME variation in readings. Add in a k&n filter and the variation grows.
The only sensors that matter in a cruze exhaust are the downpipe/midpipe sensors (not sure if there even is a midpipe one). Anything catback the car knows no different. Chopping the exhaust completely off right after the midpipe the car wouldn't even care. The only thing that could possibly make a difference is MORE restriction which would work its way back up the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Well forgot to add i run a kn filter and just that flowmaster.. Right doesn't make sense except maybe the ecu not able to pick up the proper air/fuel? Sounds fishy... but just checked the voicemail.. they left,said I was missing a intake return valve or something.. he doesn't know if that will fix it... weird?.... I had this car since 2 miles.. had the filter and muffler on this whole time-.-
Check your PCV cover like the guy in this thread http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/205874-help-p0171-2.html, missing check valve points to PCV issues.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
This makes sense. Over 95% of the P0171 codes in the Cruze are a failed PCV valve. The intake manifold's return check valve is the suspected cause of this issue. Sounds like they did some more research after you left. Both these are covered under the Powertrain warranty and have nothing to do with either the muffler or air filter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This makes sense. Over 95% of the P0171 codes in the Cruze are a failed PCV valve. The intake manifold's return check valve is the suspected cause of this issue. Sounds like they did some more research after you left. Both these are covered under the Powertrain warranty and have nothing to do with either the muffler or air filter.[/QUOTE]

This was stated that the pcv,is still ok at the moment...but those go next after the valve problem..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I keep getting the P0420 code. All stock. I had the P0171 Low boost code. I just replaced the valve cover now i have the P0420 code I already replaced both 02 sensors. The bad thing is im in So Cal> I have to buy 2 cats and they have to be CARB compliant (California Air Research Board). Just means my government wants more money and stringency's on everything we do here.

Welcome to California, Now go home and take someone with you!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kinda bs really.. all these **** crude issues should've got a ford actually??lol.. replaced stock setup on Airbox.. code cleared itself afterwords. Now it's back on ?again.. might be the exhaust.. I removed the resonator and put a flowmaster on.. might need to put stock back...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update To the solution..... took it to the normal mechanic my father uses.. Flat out told me completely diff than dealership.. was a leak in the head cover fixed that,Then found out the purge was stuck open creating another leak.. replaced and just like new. Since replacement

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
Update To the solution..... took it to the normal mechanic my father uses.. Flat out told me completely diff than dealership.. was a leak in the head cover fixed that,Then found out the purge was stuck open creating another leak.. replaced and just like new. Since replacement
Dealerships should know by now WHAT causes these codes given there's 23498072348973247982 Cruzes on the road and 80% are the 1.4T with valve cover/PCV issues.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PCv wasnt actually failed.was a leak on the side of the cam cover.. and the purge itself had a leak..which was weird..

·
Registered
222 Posts
thats part of the pcv system though and very very common

1 - 17 of 17 Posts