Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Once the car comes out Chevy needs to advertise the heck out of it.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Sort of amazing how someone can write an article and say so little. :uhh:

Reactions: pandrad61

·
Registered
261 Posts
Im looking to get one in a stick only .. If only Chevy would do a DSG on this as well and offer a stick option .

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I think if Chevy handles this right, they can sell thousands of diesel cars per month, just like VW did.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,215 Posts
Maybe they'll have a "Clarence" sale. I did the math on the current Chevy 2016 promotion, 16% off 10% of select vehicles in stock, that's about a 1.6% savings off MSRP. Now that's Value Pricing!
What?

You save 16% off MSRP. It's like a solid $3-4k off a new 2016 Cruze.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
What?

i think a dealer gets to tag their oldest inventory, from the Chevrolet website you may do an inventory search and see which cars have the discount.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
What?

It was 20%, now its 16% on most Chevy models. If only 10% of the Cars on the lot qualify (usually the oldest stock) and you do the math overall its 1.6% overall:uhh:

·
Registered
244 Posts
i think a dealer gets to tag their oldest inventory, from the Chevrolet website you may do an inventory search and see which cars have the discount.

Correct, it's a tag that they put it on a car, it remains in there and can not later be transferred to another car. It's not always oldest stock, but typically is. They get to decide what they want to move.

Reactions: IndyDiesel

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think if Chevy handles this right, they can sell thousands of diesel cars per month, just like VW did.
GM is already dropping the ball in terms of timing. Speaking as a current VW diesel owner who will get paid by VW in November(car buy back), myself and many other diesel fanatics are going to have sizable chunks of money burning holes in their pocket(s). If I have to wait until Q1 2017, at the earliest, I likely will start looking at hybrids or other diesel alternatives.
VW is 'buying back' diesels at substantial premiums and I doubt that most of the target demographic of 'disgruntled VW diesel owners' will be willing to wait months or more to get a new replacement vehicle.
If GM really wants to sell to that group of buyers, they need to have the new diesels ready for sale before the end of 2016 or very early in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
GM is already dropping the ball in terms of timing. Speaking as a current VW diesel owner who will get paid by VW in November(car buy back), myself and many other diesel fanatics are going to have sizable chunks of money burning holes in their pocket(s). If I have to wait until Q1 2017, at the earliest, I likely will start looking at hybrids or other diesel alternatives.
VW is 'buying back' diesels at substantial premiums and I doubt that most of the target demographic of 'disgruntled VW diesel owners' will be willing to wait months or more to get a new replacement vehicle.
If GM really wants to sell to that group of buyers, they need to have the new diesels ready for sale before the end of 2016 or very early in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What GM needs to do is ensure that their product will pass the tests that VW cheated. They also need to build a better car than VW (not that hard according to people I've known who've owned VW).

What GM does NOT need to do is rush a car to market because they could maybe sell 10,000 easy but then the car turns out to be just as bad as a VW and suffer the indignity of getting caught selling a faulty product and damaging their brand.

VW may as well leave America permanently. They are liars and cheats. They sell their product as german engineering. Germans and their engineering will never look the same for generations.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I kind of think the diesel market for cars won't survive, I really like my car but I feel a divorce coming on when I read about the issues and my car is regening more than I care for, going to have one in less than a 100 miles. I bought a nice f150 this week and the CTD hasn't moved since. I love driving the car but spending money on emissions stuff and having a car that can go into limp mode doesn't impress me. Any stupid repairs that gm won't cover and all the efficiency flies out the window. No immediate plans to sell my CTD.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
I think we've come to appreciate that diesel is a hobbyist kind of thing. Like HealthKit or ham radio back in the day. Pre-WWW Internet and manual transmissions or high-maintenance women. It's not for everybody. But those who want it, want it.

For me diesel has become something of a lifestlye.

Reactions: vwgtiglx

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
If Chevy wants to court the VW diesel drivers they need to throw a few more bones out than just the diesel engine. If no wagon, then at least a hatch and a manual transmission. If no manual transmission, then at least a more sporting and responsive automatic. The DSG is a pretty outstanding transmission and VW drivers love it. ****, I love it and I would never own another VW.

The good thing about TDI owners is that, as much as any group of owners, they mostly will understand the peculiarities of diesel engines. In other words, they are the perfect customer base. As with their TDIs, they will especially appreciate the fuel economy and torque. And they'll do so without bitching about DEF, about the "noise" or about the lack of super-instantaneous power. Thus, I think Chevy has a waiting market if they act wisely, and act quickly. Advertise the **** out it, not just when it comes out, but over time.

For what it's worth, I didn't buy my Cruze CTD because it was a Chevy. I bought it because it was a diesel; I specifically sought it out. TDI owners are not just drivers, they're enthusiasts. They're enthusiastic about their TDIs.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
For what it's worth, I didn't buy my Cruze CTD because it was a Chevy. I bought it because it was a diesel; I specifically sought it out. TDI owners are not just drivers, they're enthusiasts. They're enthusiastic about their TDIs.
^^^ This!

I am not so sure that diesel will phase out as quickly as some people think. Chevy could hit a home run with the next Cruze. VW had no trouble selling 6000-7000 TDI cars per month before the scandal hit. (According to Hybridcars.com dashboard)

Other makers are pushing diesels too, albeit in a higher price bracket. For example, Jaguar is currently selling diesel XE and will soon sell diesel XF and F-Pace.

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
Once the car comes out Chevy needs to advertise the heck out of it.
you make a good point, what we need to add is TRAIN YOUR FING SALESMEN/WOMAN!!!! if the sales staff does not understand the difference and how to properly target a potential diesel buyer it wont move as fast as it should if at all. at my dealer i saw salesman push lt and ltz cruzes all day and the lone diesel not one of them pushed or even offered it... well i bought it

I think we've come to appreciate that diesel is a hobbyist kind of thing. Like HealthKit or ham radio back in the day.
what do you mean back in the day.. im going for my ham technician license lol and im 22

If Chevy wants to court the VW diesel drivers they need to throw a few more bones out than just the diesel engine. If no wagon, then at least a hatch and a manual transmission. If no manual transmission, then at least a more sporting and responsive automatic. The DSG is a pretty outstanding transmission and VW drivers love it. ****, I love it and I would never own another VW.
agreed, yes majority of Americans use auto now but diesel and 4x4 guys still option for manuals... diesels don't have to be dreary and boring

for me it was best of 2 worlds. i hate that POS garbage full of crap german engineering... and i want to help buying an American at least assembled car. i hate VW with a burning passion... own one now and god its the biggest hunk of junk for the money and i have driven a yugo in ecuador!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think we've come to appreciate that diesel is a hobbyist kind of thing. Like HealthKit or ham radio back in the day. Pre-WWW Internet and manual transmissions or high-maintenance women. It's not for everybody. But those who want it, want it.

For me diesel has become something of a lifestlye.
Here, Here! I have assembled many a HeathKit and I am an Amateur radio operator from the day. I love manual transmissions, but alas - I cannot afford high-maintenance women, tho I can still want it!

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
All the talk about loving, needing and wanting a MANUAL transmission does not translate into sales... Even in trucks the manual take rate was so low that virtually every manufacturer has now dropped the manual transmission from their offering.

I believe the latest stat is that less than 10% overall sales are manual transmission... A manual in the Gen 2 Cruze Diesel would be nice, but it is by no means a necessity!!!

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
All the talk about loving, needing and wanting a MANUAL transmission does not translate into sales... Even in trucks the manual take rate was so low that virtually every manufacturer has now dropped the manual transmission from their offering.

I believe the latest stat is that less than 10% overall sales are manual transmission... A manual in the Gen 2 Cruze Diesel would be nice, but it is by no means a necessity!!!
i can understand dropping it in trucks and most sedans.. now in my experience most diesel owners in sedans aka vw guys like the manual option. now gm would be smart to fish throug the VIN's to see exactly how many went slush box or row your own gears and go from there

1 - 20 of 28 Posts