Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Chevy preps Cruze hatchback for the U.S.

16K views 54 replies 23 participants last post by  jsusanka 
#1 ·
Chevy preps a Cruze hatchback for the U.S.

Automotive News
June 22, 2015 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT -- Chevrolet plans a hatchback version of the next-generation Cruze compact sedan for the U.S., targeting a niche segment that could be ripe for growth.

Chevy executives showed a hatchback Cruze to dealers last week at a national meeting in Las Vegas, according to three people who attended. The car was billed as a 2016 model ...

Read more:
2016 Cruze Hatchback | Automotive News
2016 Cruze Hatchback | Automotive News | Print Version

#2 ·
Finally - as for those who claim hatches won't sell in the US:
from article said:
The Cruze hatch also will take on the Ford Focus, which derives about 40 percent of its sales from the five-door model.

#3 ·
So the Focus hatchback has been 40% of Focus sales. For how long has the Focus hatchback been around? That's some Niche market, considering all of the other compact hatchbacks there are on the market. Wonder how many Cruze sales were lost to those other hatchbacks?

#9 ·
I see quite a few.

I think I actually see more Fiesta hatchbacks than sedans. I really don't see that many Fiesta sedans...they look weird. Like someone decided to just keep adding trunk until it beats everything in the class

I actually considered the Focus hatchback when I was shopping for a car last. It does make a few more ft-lbs of torque (but it is at a higher rpm than the Cruze) But they virtually all had that abyssmally bad automated manual. You had to get the ugly plastic hubcapped model to get a manual.

I thought I could get by with a sedan. I might have been wrong. I already had on instance where my Mazda 6 5 door would have easily handled something that just wouldn't fit in my Chrysler or my Cruze.
I need an SUV....I can't fit the things I need to carry in a car....
You never had a hatchback. I bet I could stuff nearly as much cargo in a Golf, Focus, or Mazda3 hatch as many small SUVs

#6 · (Edited)
You see a lot of Focus hatchbacks around here. Can't prove it's 40%, but I'd bet it's close. The Focus hatchback has been around for two full generations now, so they must sell well enough for Ford to continue it across Focus platforms.

Of course what we see in our individual locals doesn't necessarily reflect national counts. I see far more 1st generation Cruzen here than 9th generation Civics, even though they outsell the Cruze by something like 25 to 30% each year. I also see far more Darts on the street than 9th gen. Civics even though they only sell about 7,000 Darts each month nationally, about 1/3 what the Civic sells. The same sort of thing goes for the Corolla. The highest selling compact in the US, but I see far fewer of them here than the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best selling compacts.

#7 · (Edited)
#10 ·
Nice looking car but I was never a fan of rear wipers. They rust and leak through the mount due to road grime/salt when driving and most neglect changing the blade because they cannot tell when it's bad because it's in the rear. The rear defogger is good enough.

#12 ·
The rear wiper on my Montana never had any problems. Blade change neglect cannot be blamed on the vehicle - those same owners probably don't check their tire pressures either.

#11 ·
I never had a problem with my rear wipers. Well, I couldn't use an expensive blade on the back of my Mazda6. If I bought the most expensive Bosch, it would chatter. Get the cheapest Trico or Michelin and it's fine. But other than that, no leaks, no rust, and clear rearward vision.

#15 ·
Maybe we'll finally get a Cruze with brembos from the factory. With our luck, though, they'll give all this stuff to the Sonic, and leave us, high and dry. And if they do add it, none of the parts will be compatible so we won't be able to use any of them on the current model, such as calipers and rotors.

#16 · (Edited)
#36 ·
2016 Chevrolet Cruze 5-Door Hatchback/Liftback

I'll guess we'll all know soon enough, but if the 2016 Cruze Hatchback looks anything like its' platform mate, the 2016 Opel Astra, then I'll be in for the 5-door Cruze when it's time to part with my 2014 Cruze RS sedan.

I believe that that car is coming to Australia where it will be given "Holden" badges and will replace the Cruze.

#29 ·
Same here. Although I'd still rather have a hatch than the sedan version.

I really wanted a hatchback, but the driving dynamics and fuel economy of the Cruze Eco with a manual outweighed that.

I think I read on another auto size that the Focus has something like a 40% take rate on the hatch. I think Chevy missed the mark by only offering a sedan on the first-gen Cruze.

#18 ·
Never have been a fan of the looks of a hatchback car but can understand the utility of the larger rear hatch opening. I carry allot of tools and random crap in my car, seems a hatch back would be dangerous if you got in an accident everything in the back will be flying around.

If I was buying a Chevy sonic today I would save the $600 and buy the much better looking(to me) sedan over the hatch. It has a much more usable truck space, can hold more than 4 paper grocery sacks when you have rear seat passengers as well. Also wouldn't a Sedan shape get better MPG? Seems there is allot more car sticking out in the back to keep hold of the air with a hatch.

#20 · (Edited)
Opel Astra K

Also wouldn't a Sedan shape get better MPG? Seems there is allot more car sticking out in the back to keep hold of the air with a hatch.
While I cannot address the "better MPG" question because EPA testing of the 2016 Cruze's platform mate, the 2016 Opel Astra K aka "Der neuer Astra", either hasn't been done or if done the results not released to the public, I can say with certainty that the 2016 Opel's overall length is approximately 10-11 inches shorter than the next generation 2016 Cruze sedan with a wheelbase that's a hair under 1.5 inches shorter.

My source:
Technische Daten | Neuer Opel Astra Maße
Technical Data | New Opel Astra Dimensions

Modelle | Opel Astra 5-Türer - Opel Deutschland

When the second-generation Cruze 5-Door Hatchback/Liftback arrives in the USA and Canada, as promised many times by Mark Reuss, GM Executive Vice President, Global Product Development, it will be derived presumably from the Opel Astra K 5-Door Hatchback which is already on sale in Germany and has been well-received by the public and motoring press. To do otherwise would make no sense on many levels.

click images to enlarge

#19 ·
Looks more like a half a hatch back to me.

Should square off that back a bit more and add two jump seats like that Italian Ford C-Max we rented. Then they would have an instant sell from this guy.

Ha, don't stack to much luggage back there with that slope, will break that rear window. Speaking from a bad experience, not with that Ford, but with my Supra. Also a so-called hatch back.

#27 ·
I would have bought a hatch had it been able. Ive always been a fan of hatches ive owned a 93 hatch mustang (built 351 stroker), 99 honda civic si hatch (t3 turbo), 07 mazda speed 3 (tons of upgrades), and a 08 dodge srt4 caliber (stock). When i find a nice used ine with under 10k miles i will most likely trade my 14 ltz in on it.

#28 ·
I would be very surprised if the Cruze Hatch is shorter than the sedan. The reason for this is simple mechanics on the assembly line. Not human mechanics - they can adjust, but the automated mechanical equipment that does the bulk of the work moving the car through the plant as it's assembled. The reality is that the easiest way to create a hatchback from a sedan is to simply change the side panels and roof line panels. This leaves the chassis, drive train, and under body equipment such as the fuel tank and suspension alone.

#39 ·
I would be very surprised if the Cruze Hatch is shorter than the sedan.
You can see its shorter in the photos. Check out the second photo on this page with the previous gen back to back, you can see the hatch is shorter. 2015 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan Transmission - Cars Bikes Features, Specs, Prices review

These photos of the open hatchback you can also see its only about 3ft deep, vs 4ft for the sedan.
We Hear: Chevrolet Considering Cruze Hatchback for U.S. Photo Gallery - Motor Trend

http://www.thaicarnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Chevrolet-Cruze-Hatchback-201218.jpg

This is just like the sonic hatch vs sedan, there is more car behind the rear wheels. The sonic hatchback is 37lbs lighter, 14in shorter(overall length) than the sedan with the same exact wheelbase. The cruze hatch doesn't look so extremely chopped off, but from all the photos you can see it is at least somewhat.

#30 · (Edited)
#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
#46 ·
The cars are at a little different angle, but it sure looks like same length but different wheelbase to me.
I guess looks and photos can be fool the eye. Published specs say the 4-door sedan is 89 mm (3.5 inches) longer than the 5-door hatchback and that their wheelbases are identical at 2685 mm (105.7 inches).

click image to enlarge and open in new window

#47 ·
I've always been a fan of the utility of a hatch, but looks wise I see very few instances where I personally think the hatch looks better. This is another case. Certainly not the worst looking hatch I've seen, but definitely not as good looking as the higher trim sedans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.